Bulk salt>>>>>

Pufferpunk

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
160g buckets of salt on drsfostersmith.com for 34.99. Shipping for 4 buckets was only 13 bucks. I then did a search and found a 15% coupon code "dodge". Came up to 133.00 for 4 buckets or 640 gallons worth of salt. Brand is Reef Crystals (my preferred salt). Coupon code is good for anything I believe so happy buying!
When you are checking out you will be asked for the coupon code. Just type in "dodge".

ficklefins

Super Duper Moderator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think he means bigger that the 5 gallon actual buckets they come in.

Man I feel stupid. :hammer:

Yes, you can get your LFS to order 200g boxes, or you could go the public aquarium route and special order!

georgia-aquarium-8.jpg

surfn

I bleed orange and maroon
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i dont know about you guys, but this only gets me through one water change... :hammer:

GAAqaurium_0026.jpg

but yeah, i buy the 200g boxes, which has 4 bags...that each hold 50g worth of salt. those last a long time IMO. and are pretty cheap, i think they go for $40-$50, but sometimes you can convince a LFS to get in a bulk order of them and reduce the price to the mid $30's, which is how i've gotten all of my boxes.

btw......i REEEEEEAAALY wish i could get ahold of some of those buckets that IO used to put their salt in, with those screw in tops. i loved those buckets.

anyone know where i can buy some off the internet? i would LOVE YOU FOREVER if someone found a place.

OP
OP
follow3

follow3

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Surfin,

I think I found what you are looking for. They are called Gama Seal Lids. They will fit most plastic buckets and are 2 pieces, one piece snaps onto the bucket and has threads for the second piece which is the screw on lid.
Here is a link http://freckleface.com/shopsite_sc/store/html/gammaseals.html

Hope this helps. Those screw on lids are very handy.
Let us know how this works out.

P.S. Also a good place to buy Acrylic and tubing.

i dont know about you guys, but this only gets me through one water change... :hammer:

GAAqaurium_0026.jpg

but yeah, i buy the 200g boxes, which has 4 bags...that each hold 50g worth of salt. those last a long time IMO. and are pretty cheap, i think they go for $40-$50, but sometimes you can convince a LFS to get in a bulk order of them and reduce the price to the mid $30's, which is how i've gotten all of my boxes.

btw......i REEEEEEAAALY wish i could get ahold of some of those buckets that IO used to put their salt in, with those screw in tops. i loved those buckets.

anyone know where i can buy some off the internet? i would LOVE YOU FOREVER if someone found a place.

surfn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Surfin,

I think I found what you are looking for. They are called Gama Seal Lids. They will fit most plastic buckets and are 2 pieces, one piece snaps onto the bucket and has threads for the second piece which is the screw on lid.
Here is a link http://freckleface.com/shopsite_sc/store/html/gammaseals.html

Hope this helps. Those screw on lids are very handy.
Let us know how this works out.

P.S. Also a good place to buy Acrylic and tubing.

yeah, i think those have got to be it! thanks for the link, i'm gonna order 4 lids and i'll report back on how they work out. :)

FateX8

Frag Dragon
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
why not just buy some buckets of salt?
i mean youre gunna use them anyways right?
so on top of the salt you get the buckets as a bonus
im FINALLY almost done with 1 bucket of salt and have 2 more to go through
gunna be a LONG time before theyre emptied, but the buckets do a REALLY good job in sealing the top to keep moisture out and the salt fresh

surfn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
why not just buy some buckets of salt?
i mean youre gunna use them anyways right?
so on top of the salt you get the buckets as a bonus
im FINALLY almost done with 1 bucket of salt and have 2 more to go through
gunna be a LONG time before theyre emptied, but the buckets do a REALLY good job in sealing the top to keep moisture out and the salt fresh

the buckets of salt cost more per pound, for less salt compared to buying a box of salt.

and the buckets that come with the IO salt now are crap, esspecially the tops, they dont seal well at all IMO.

BTW....I did order some of those gasket tops thanks to FOLLOW3's link above, they are EXACTLY what i wanted!! they seal great! and they work perfectly with a 5g bucket from walmart. thanks so much for finding them!!

FateX8

Frag Dragon
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
the buckets of salt cost more per pound, for less salt compared to buying a box of salt.

really?!
how cheap are your boxes of salt?
i got my bucket of reef crystals for 33 per bucket
it was only $2 more than io so i said screw it, theyre both made by the same guy and bourneman (sp?) did a study on salt and said that reefcrystals was one of the better salts
i used to use tropic marin which killed the bank at 60 a bucket so something thats half that ill take in wholeheartedly
so far the only complaint i have about reefcrystals is the low calcium, always reading ~350 so i gotta constantly dose
after waterchange

surfn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
each bucket of salt gives 160g of saltwater, for about $33 (obviously cost varies a couple bucks depending on where you get it from)

but most places sell boxes of IO salt that gives 200g of saltwater, for mid $30's also (again, depends on where you buy it from, but i've gotten a box for as low as $32 before)

read the above posts, its explained pretty well in this thread

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 57 40.7%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 29 20.7%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 49 35.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.6%
Back