OP
OP
Forty-Two

Forty-Two

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are all metric bulkheads designed like that?

Im not an expert nor a plumber, but as I understand it they are all designed to use the outside diameter. Therefore 40mm is the outside diameter of the the pipe/fitting/what-have-you. But otherwise, Im not sure what you mean by 'are they all designed like that' :)

OP
OP
Forty-Two

Forty-Two

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The latest in this epic quest to figure out how to plumb this thing is as follows:

Im looking at getting a reducer - something similar to this and then using glue to put it inside of the bulkhead in the area of d1 on the male side (pictured above). That would get me down to 1 inch.

1627995005428.png

KStatefan

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The bulkheads i have used there is one piece that both pipes attach to and the nut just holds the bulkhead in. The aliexpress and royal exclusive ones posted the pipes attach to separate parts of the bulkhead

OP
OP
Forty-Two

Forty-Two

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wish I could find the same bulkhead but threaded - that would make it easier rather than considering using glue.

Spieg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The trouble with bulkheads (and unions for that matter) is the there are no real standards... each manufacturer will do their own variation. There is usually some trial and error involved in finding things that work. Try to buy somewhere where it will be easy to return if something doesn't work as expected.

BRS has some good metric to standard couplings but I don't know if international shipping is a good option. You might be able to call them and ask what brand they use and try to find that somewhere closer to home.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Forty-Two

Forty-Two

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The trouble with bulkheads (and unions for that matter) is the there are no real standards... each manufacturer will do their own variation. There is usually some trial and error involved in finding things that work. Try to buy somewhere where it will be easy to return if something doesn't work as expected.

BRS has some good metric to standard couplings but I don't know if international shipping is a good option. You might be able to call them and ask what brand they use and try to find that somewhere closer to home.

The challenge I have is I dont really want to ship the tank if I cant find something that fits appropriately, because I cant return it or have him come fix it.

Clearly in hindsight I should have planned this part out better from the start, but I didnt get much advice on this front despite asking. I had assumed it was a bit more standardized and the vendor was suggesting a hole size that made sense based on his experience.

OP
OP
Forty-Two

Forty-Two

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This also might work if the hole that is cut (41mm) is wide enough.

1627997050107.png

OP
OP
Forty-Two

Forty-Two

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ok so looking into this more - the problem Im going to have is whether I can glue something inside of that bulkhead and have it stay, and Im not convinced its going to. The reducer in the bulkhead is going to take the brunt of the beating if Im reducing from 40mm down to 1 inch.

This is becoming problematic as Im not finding any other options that will fit. It seems like everything else requires 42-43mm for a glass hole to fit.

KStatefan

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can your tank manufacture supply you with the bulkheads that the holes are cut for?

Last edited:
OP
OP
Forty-Two

Forty-Two

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ask them to send bulkheads with the tank.

Btw did you get your tank drilled for only returns?
How are you going to get water from the tank to the sump?

Ive reached out to them to tell them Im not comfortable with the idea of solvent welding in a reducer, really it needs to be a threaded bulkhead coming from the other side. We'll see what they say. They temper the glass at the back after they cut the holes so its unlikely they can cut them further without breaking the glass.

There is a custom external overflow with 3 holes drilled in it - those Im not worried about as I can use the bulkhead I listed. its a 40/40/32.

Saltyreef

I'm not your dad...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ive reached out to them to tell them Im not comfortable with the idea of solvent welding in a reducer, really it needs to be a threaded bulkhead coming from the other side. We'll see what they say. They temper the glass at the back after they cut the holes so its unlikely they can cut them further without breaking the glass.

There is a custom external overflow with 3 holes drilled in it - those Im not worried about as I can use the bulkhead I listed. its a 40/40/32.
So youll have 5 holes total...

The external overflow should be its own kit....

Ask them to ship you two 3/4" threaded bulkheads with the tank.

Are you going to be using all non us standard plumbing? Whats the ultimate end goal?

OP
OP
Forty-Two

Forty-Two

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
:)

Yes - they will all be metric fittings. I would prefer to stay in metric if I can.

btw I realize I am not being clear about what bulkheads Im talking about - Im specifically talking about the RETURN bulkheads :) - to carry to the water back to the tank. The overflow bulkheads Im sure are just fine.

At this point Im leaning towards just asking them to re-do the back glass of the tank as they havent attached it yet, and just bite the bullet on the cost (whatever that might be) and get it re-drilled to 43mm.

I got a response back from RoyalExclusiv on their bulkhead - and they showed it in their 'test bed' as a bulkhead for the overflow - not into the tank (as I suspected). Im asking for the use case of on the back of the tank. We'll see what they say.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Forty-Two

Forty-Two

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So youll have 5 holes total...

The external overflow should be its own kit....

Ask them to ship you two 3/4" threaded bulkheads with the tank.

Are you going to be using all non us standard plumbing? Whats the ultimate end goal?

You might be right that the 3/4" bulkhead will work. Its close...(its +- 1/16th of an inch)

1628062161363.png

Saltyreef

I'm not your dad...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You might be right that the 3/4" bulkhead will work. Its close...(its +- 1/16th of an inch)

1628062161363.png
You have to realize, there is a 58.7mm flange on that bulkhead. As long as the hole in your tank is still smaller than the flange, and is large enough to fit the threaded part, it will work.

But you said you had 41mm holes. That one may be too large @ 41.27mm
You might be able to get away with it though if you got creative with some sand paper lol.

OP
OP
Forty-Two

Forty-Two

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You have to realize, there is a 58.7mm flange on that bulkhead. As long as the hole in your tank is still smaller than the flange, and is large enough to fit the threaded part, it will work.

But you said you had 41mm holes. That one may be too large @ 41.27mm
You might be able to get away with it though if you got creative with some sand paper lol.

Yes - I like your idea of asking the vendor to put in the bulkheads prior to shipping. Im going to give that a try.

Do we think 3/4" is enough water througput in the tank? Its 220 G + 50G for the sump

Saltyreef

I'm not your dad...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes - I like your idea of asking the vendor to put in the bulkheads prior to shipping. Im going to give that a try.

Do we think 3/4" is enough water througput in the tank? Its 220 G + 50G for the sump
Good plan.

Depending on your drain rate, i would think it would work perfect.
If at all in doubt and you have more drain than your pump is putting out you can always upsize the pump or oversize it and dial it back. Its up to you how you want to do it.

Back