OP
JoshO

JoshO

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
UPDATE: isolation is back in effect. Really tough night last night for the fish, was woken up by what sounded like marbles being thrown at the tank glass, only to see it was the fish swimming full speed into the glass!
Less bullying has gone on throughout the day but the fish looks exhausted, sitting on top of the filter. As soon as I saw a few little chases I decided to isolate. Might be acting a bit too soon, bit the frayed dorsal fins and loss of colour is very worrying

Aaron Soliz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
UPDATE: isolation is back in effect. Really tough night last night for the fish, was woken up by what sounded like marbles being thrown at the tank glass, only to see it was the fish swimming full speed into the glass!
Less bullying has gone on throughout the day but the fish looks exhausted, sitting on top of the filter. As soon as I saw a few little chases I decided to isolate. Might be acting a bit too soon, bit the frayed dorsal fins and loss of colour is very worrying

Agreed, I would of made the move ASAP after hearing and seeing what you see. Like I mentioned before... keep that bigger one in the breeder net for a good 3-5 days. Let the smaller one get its color back and rest for a bit. Put her back in and then see how they do. Maybe even going the full 5 days.. might not be a bad idea regarding how bad it actually sounds. Oh, make sure the little one is well fed.

OP
OP
JoshO

JoshO

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agreed, I would of made the move ASAP after hearing and seeing what you see. Like I mentioned before... keep that bigger one in the breeder net for a good 3-5 days. Let the smaller one get its color back and rest for a bit. Put her back in and then see how they do. Maybe even going the full 5 days.. might not be a bad idea regarding how bad it actually sounds. Oh, make sure the little one is well fed.
Lots of laying on the bottom and laboured breathing currently so I'm not sure it's going to make it, however it has been feeding still so I'm hoping that's a promising sign!
Likely going to keep the isolation for as long as possible to allow the fins to start to repair nicely if I can!

Aaron Soliz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lots of laying on the bottom and laboured breathing currently so I'm not sure it's going to make it, however it has been feeding still so I'm hoping that's a promising sign!
Likely going to keep the isolation for as long as possible to allow the fins to start to repair nicely if I can!

poor little guy. Sorry you have to go through this bud. Yeah, keep her isolated for a while and when he starts coloring up and swimming around, that’s a great sign. I would think this would be the last chance and getting them to work out. If she starts pulling the same thing... one of them have to go back to the store, sadly :/

OP
OP
JoshO

JoshO

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
poor little guy. Sorry you have to go through this bud. Yeah, keep her isolated for a while and when he starts coloring up and swimming around, that’s a great sign. I would think this would be the last chance and getting them to work out. If she starts pulling the same thing... one of them have to go back to the store, sadly :/
Any idea how quick fins tend to heal up on clownfish? I've seen a lot of people say they heal quickly but in my experience of FW it's a very slow process!

Aaron Soliz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any idea how quick fins tend to heal up on clownfish? I've seen a lot of people say they heal quickly but in my experience of FW it's a very slow process!

so mine was pretty beaten up 2 weeks ago. Top fin, bottom ones and the sides were all beat up. Not to the point were “he” couldn’t swim but I could tell I needed to make a move and hope it worked. Everything but the right fin is back to normal so i am guessing its fairly quickly as well.

OP
OP
JoshO

JoshO

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
so mine was pretty beaten up 2 weeks ago. Top fin, bottom ones and the sides were all beat up. Not to the point were “he” couldn’t swim but I could tell I needed to make a move and hope it worked. Everything but the right fin is back to normal so i am guessing its fairly quickly as well.
Hopefully mine has the same recovery then! Just hope they settle down once reintroduced

OP
OP
JoshO

JoshO

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How are things going?
I was going to do an update later once I'd tried to get some food into it! They are still separated and will be until the fins are fully healed and it's swimming happily again.
Fins are healing quickly which is good to see but it's feeding less than it was which concerns me.
I've added black cardboard to all but 1 side to provide it with an area it might feel safer.
Lots of sitting on the bottom and not swimming, bit is gasping a lot less.
Will be feeding when I'm home in a few hours so will let you know how that goes, going to try getting the food right in front of it so it makes it easier

OP
OP
JoshO

JoshO

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So it's still not feeding, the other fish is pigging out in her breeder net. I've been feeding hikari marine s pellets soaked in RODI water, they already have garlic in them so no need to add any. Also tried mysis shrimp but that's barely being picked at. Almost as if he's barely seeing the food as there is little to no reaction

Aaron Soliz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So it's still not feeding, the other fish is pigging out in her breeder net. I've been feeding hikari marine s pellets soaked in RODI water, they already have garlic in them so no need to add any. Also tried mysis shrimp but that's barely being picked at. Almost as if he's barely seeing the food as there is little to no reaction
Shoot, i am kinda surprised. It’s been separate for a little while now. I would think it’s good to eat and such. Keep trying and hopefully all goes well

OP
OP
JoshO

JoshO

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Shoot, i am kinda surprised. It’s been separate for a little while now. I would think it’s good to eat and such. Keep trying and hopefully all goes well
It has been eating well previously, but it went mad the other night and was swimming full speed into the glass and trying to jump out but hitting the lid. Went on for hours, it's the 2nd time this has happened, since the 2nd time it's hardly been feeding. Managed to get 2 mysis shrimp into him today. It's fins are really healing up and it's swimming more today so I'm hoping it's on the up very slowly

Aaron Soliz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It has been eating well previously, but it went mad the other night and was swimming full speed into the glass and trying to jump out but hitting the lid. Went on for hours, it's the 2nd time this has happened, since the 2nd time it's hardly been feeding. Managed to get 2 mysis shrimp into him today. It's fins are really healing up and it's swimming more today so I'm hoping it's on the up very slowly

that’s what it is sounding like to me that “he” is coming around. Swimming more and eating a bit is great signs. I would continue housing the bigger one till the little one eats more

OP
OP
JoshO

JoshO

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
UPDATE
Sadly we lost the clown today. Came home to find it breathing really heavily. Tested the parameters and they were fine, the other fish is completely fine so I can only assume it's finally succumbed to its injuries and stress

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 71 30.0%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 67 28.3%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 50 21.1%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 47 19.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 0.8%
Back