Bumpy black and white snail

  • Thread starter Thread starter BoxOOcean
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

BoxOOcean

New Member
View Badges
Joined
Oct 24, 2016
Messages
3
Reaction score
3
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What is this creature?

How likely is he to cause mischief in the reef tank?

Bumpy snail.jpg
 
I was going to say, not sure if it's bad but it's pretty awesome looking:D
 
Do the antenna stalks have eyes on the ends? I've always had a really hard time distinguishing between whelks and some nass snails. I'm following along to find out what it is :)
 
Good guess by me! A whelk :) Even the blind squirrel gets a nut every now and then. Ha!
 
@Lionfish Lair I recall, maybe incorrectly, that whelks can generally be identified by having a pointed shell, eyes on the ends of their antenna and something about the bottom that you've said before but I can't recall what specifically. Is that right?
 
There's actually a few things to look for, but many of them are not definitive. People go by the "leopard print" of the skin and the presence of a prominent operculum. With the OPs snail, you can tell the genus from the shell pattern and shape.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 5 3.9%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 10 7.8%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 25 19.5%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 40 31.3%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 1 0.8%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 10 7.8%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 10 7.8%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 18 14.1%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 9 7.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new