Burnt Tips after switching to Cal Rx?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Opes
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

Opes

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Mar 25, 2010
Messages
127
Reaction score
252
Location
Kansas City
What state or country do you live in
Missouri
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was having decent results dosing two part with my SPS, but had been missing the results I had with a Cal Rx. I fired up a new reactor a couple weeks ago and began to dial it in.

When dosing two part my alk was usually 7.2-7.4. My Cal was around 460, and mag around 1400. Never paid too much attention to Phosphate or nitrate as everything was looking good,

I wanted to bump up my alk to about 9, and I have done that over the course of the last couple weeks. I have experienced STN from the tips for the past several days. My cal remains around 460 and Mag around 1500. Nitrate is 7. I tested Phospate at .02 ppm.

My PH has dropped a bit and drops to 7.8 and tops out at 8. Would like it higher but don't think this is a huge issue,

Think my issue is the higher ALK and low Phospate?
 
I found there is a trade off between the calcium reactor and parameters. The more CO2 injected into the calcium reactor, the higher the Alk/Calc/Mg but the lower pH in the tank.

To get my pH where I want while using a calcium reactor, I inject less CO2 into reactor and get lower Alk/Calc/Mg but higher pH. To get Alk/Calc/Mg where I want I also dose TM All For Reef. As I said, it’s a trade off but have gotten really good growth & color out of my acros. Able to get pH up to 8.3. Also think TM A4R provides additional stuff like the 2 part did.
 
it’s probably a combination of the higher alk and the low nutrients. I Would either raise nutrients or lower that alk a bit. I dont see it being an issue related to the calcium reactor.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 8 5.1%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 11 7.0%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 27 17.2%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 54 34.4%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 2 1.3%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 11 7.0%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 10 6.4%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 24 15.3%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 10 6.4%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new