Burnt Tips after switching to Cal Rx?

Opes

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was having decent results dosing two part with my SPS, but had been missing the results I had with a Cal Rx. I fired up a new reactor a couple weeks ago and began to dial it in.

When dosing two part my alk was usually 7.2-7.4. My Cal was around 460, and mag around 1400. Never paid too much attention to Phosphate or nitrate as everything was looking good,

I wanted to bump up my alk to about 9, and I have done that over the course of the last couple weeks. I have experienced STN from the tips for the past several days. My cal remains around 460 and Mag around 1500. Nitrate is 7. I tested Phospate at .02 ppm.

My PH has dropped a bit and drops to 7.8 and tops out at 8. Would like it higher but don't think this is a huge issue,

Think my issue is the higher ALK and low Phospate?

PeterC99

Solarbenchmark.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I found there is a trade off between the calcium reactor and parameters. The more CO2 injected into the calcium reactor, the higher the Alk/Calc/Mg but the lower pH in the tank.

To get my pH where I want while using a calcium reactor, I inject less CO2 into reactor and get lower Alk/Calc/Mg but higher pH. To get Alk/Calc/Mg where I want I also dose TM All For Reef. As I said, it’s a trade off but have gotten really good growth & color out of my acros. Able to get pH up to 8.3. Also think TM A4R provides additional stuff like the 2 part did.

TX_Punisher

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
it’s probably a combination of the higher alk and the low nutrients. I Would either raise nutrients or lower that alk a bit. I dont see it being an issue related to the calcium reactor.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 62 39.0%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 35 22.0%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 56 35.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 3.8%
Back