Burying turbo snail?

Zoa_Fanatic

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I have this snail I purchased from the LFS. It looks for all purposes like a tropical turbo snail. Thing is, it’s only active at night and buries itself in the sand during the day like my nassarius snails. When he comes out tonight I’ll get a picture. As far as I know turbo snails don’t dig. Does anyone have any idea what kind of snail this dude may actually be? Shell looks pretty identical to these dudes.

CBFE402F-9806-4123-ADB1-63896D36AAF1.jpeg

carmodpg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure which snail you are referring to in the picture. I can say that the one closest with the darker shell looks like a astraea turbo snail. The other ones in the back look like various turbo snails IMO. My turbo snails also mostly hide during the day just as an FYI.

OP
OP
Zoa_Fanatic

Zoa_Fanatic

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure which snail you are referring to in the picture. I can say that the one closest with the darker shell looks like a astraea turbo snail. The other ones in the back look like various turbo snails IMO. My turbo snails also mostly hide during the day just as an FYI.
I’ve got like 20 atrea turbos. The one on the far left looks closest. Mine usually hide as well but I’ve never seen them bury themselves. I’ve watched him dig and you can often see his foot on the side glass under the sand.

shanzfish

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have at least three large turbo snails and they never hide, they’re always out and about eating algae and left over food

OP
OP
Zoa_Fanatic

Zoa_Fanatic

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have at least three large turbo snails and they never hide, they’re always out and about eating algae and left over food
Yeah I have no idea what this dude is. He hides or buries all day and is only out a few hours at night. But he’s 100% exactly like a turbo snail just a variety I’ve never seen before

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 14 34.1%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 16 39.0%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 8 19.5%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 2 4.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 2.4%
Back