busted at the seams 90- gal acrylic tank. turn into a sump idea

Gato 1

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good evening

I would like some advice; I have a 90-gal acrylic tank. On one top we have a crack, busted seam and chip on the bottom. What am thinking of doing, but not sure how to do it is. Cut acrylic down to crate my sump for my 150g- build. Does the team have any idea, or where I can go for the info on how to work with acrylic.

open to all ideas.
1 arcylic tank .jpg
2 arcylic .jpg
3 arcylic .jpg
4 arcrylic .jpg
4 arcrylic .jpg

Timfish

Crusty Old Salt
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can cut acrylic with a circular saw, carbide tip saw blade (as many teeth as you can find) and run water on the blade to keep the acrylic cool. Scigrip/ Weldon 40 is an excellent adhesive to use.

OP
OP
G

Gato 1

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
TimFish thank you for the comment

Not sure if an going to try to cut this on my table saw, or skill saw but we are going to try one way or the other.
here are my cut lines. any ideas or advise before I
Future sump 1 .jpg
future sump 2 cut lines .jpg
future sump 2 cut lines .jpg
Future sump 1 .jpg
start cutting

Timfish

Crusty Old Salt
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Be sure to use a carbide toothed blade, and if you're not going to run water on it get a blade for cutting plastics. Whichever cut you make first the tank will be a bit wobbly making the second cut so I would use some scrap 2x4 to make a frame to slide inside to help add rigiidity, a bar clamp on the outside would help a good deal also.

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 22 34.9%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 7 11.1%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 21 33.3%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 11 17.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 3.2%
Back