Butterflies That Can Hang With Large Aggressive Tankmates in 500G?

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all,

I am finally getting around to stocking my 500G wall-tank. I asked yesterday about damsels/chromis ideas but now I have another difficult question.

What (if any) butterflies can I keep with large aggressive fish in a large tank?

Anyone have experience with this? My butterfly experience is surprisingly quite limited to copper bands (no way) and raccoons (which I’ve had work before).

Current inhabits:
3 - 10”+ French, queen, and passer angels
8” Emperor angel
9-10” Golden Puffer (biggest risk)
10” Dussumeiri and some smaller tangs
4.5” sohal tang
6” Australian harlequin tusk (tie for biggest risk)
4 flame angels (totally eatable to the puffer but he ignores)
1 coral beauty angel (same)
6” Saddle wrasse (thalassoma)
6” Clown Trigger (surprisingly quite low on totem pole and not threatening)

I will be adding more large angels and several more thalassoma wrasses. I need butterflyfish that can hold their own against nasty, large tank mates. The high stocking volume when done may work in my favor for this (though require tons of water changes lol).

The answer may be none, and I accept that going in.

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t remember what butterfly it was but I saw one that cornered a tank with trigger fish. It wasn’t that big 3-5 inches in size but it killed like Chuck Norris and would easily live in your tank imo. It was a long time ago, common white/black/ yellow short snout fish but having seen it in action I would find a medium size healthy butterfly and drop it/them into the mix and hopefully they went to school in the same neighborhood as the one I saw.
200.gif

OP
OP
4FordFamily

4FordFamily

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t remember what butterfly it was but I saw one that cornered a tank with trigger fish. It wasn’t that big 3-5 inches in size but it killed like Chuck Norris and would easily live in your tank imo. It was a long time ago, common white/black/ yellow short snout fish but having seen it in action I would find a medium size healthy butterfly and drop it/them into the mix and hopefully they went to school in the same neighborhood as the one I saw.
200.gif
That’s a rough butterfly!! :D

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One butterflies establish, they are one of the most territorial fish I’ve kept personally. The Butterfly I currently own isn’t the biggest in the tank (my Foxface beats him along) but he is the one who gives newbies a run for their money.
It’s not bad like you see in tangs but it’s not perfect like they’re said to be.

Is there a specific one you like? If I were you, I would personally make a list of species you like and then post it here, these can be any from Chelmon muelleri to Chaetodon rainfordi. Then we can kind of ‘cherry pick’ through them :)

OP
OP
4FordFamily

4FordFamily

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One butterflies establish, they are one of the most territorial fish I’ve kept personally. The Butterfly I currently own isn’t the biggest in the tank (my Foxface beats him along) but he is the one who gives newbies a run for their money.
It’s not bad like you see in tangs but it’s not perfect like they’re said to be.

Is there a specific one you like? If I were you, I would personally make a list of species you like and then post it here, these can be any from Chelmon muelleri to Chaetodon rainfordi. Then we can kind of ‘cherry pick’ through them :)
Thanks for the reply. I’ve honestly seen only bannerfish and raccoon in large very aggressive FOWLR tanks. I am aware of many types of butterfly fish but not sure if anyone has experience with them. 10” + Passer/King angels, 10” golden puffers, and clown triggers (and the like) are a new level of aggressive, something unlike many have experienced. Exceeding my own expectations.

I don’t have a particular butterfly in mind, I worry even the nastiest butterfly might struggle in with these large extremely territorial fish long-term.

dennis romano

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I currently have five butterflies. In nature, the biggest are the different Heniochus and Auriga that get to about 10 inches. The local LFS has a huge Heniochus for sale in a tank with equal size groupers and snappers. The Blackback butterfly is supposedly very aggressive. Mine is mellow but the previous owner said that he was nasty. My most aggressive butterfly is a three inch Tahitian who is constantly moving, harassing all of the other fish in the tank (butterflies, wrasse and Navarchus). The common Heniochus will school when small so a half dozen may look cool in your tank. Most other Heniochus as they age, do best in pairs. If you want to spend, the Wrought Iron is supposedly very aggressive.

OP
OP
4FordFamily

4FordFamily

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I currently have five butterflies. In nature, the biggest are the different Heniochus and Auriga that get to about 10 inches. The local LFS has a huge Heniochus for sale in a tank with equal size groupers and snappers. The Blackback butterfly is supposedly very aggressive. Mine is mellow but the previous owner said that he was nasty. My most aggressive butterfly is a three inch Tahitian who is constantly moving, harassing all of the other fish in the tank (butterflies, wrasse and Navarchus). The common Heniochus will school when small so a half dozen may look cool in your tank. Most other Heniochus as they age, do best in pairs. If you want to spend, the Wrought Iron is supposedly very aggressive.
Thanks, I appreciate your input! I love wrought iron!
Wrought Irons are perhaps the coolest fish I’ve ever seen. Shame they’re a collector’s item due to the fact that they’re a Japanese endemic. Not rare in Japanese waters, but marine fish are hardly exported from Japan.
I’d feel so bad if I got one and it died in this tank (financially and psychologically lol). I know they’re a pretty penny but they are super unique/awesome I agree!

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 17 13.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 7 5.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 19 15.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 69 56.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 7.4%
Back