Butterflyfish in a reef

Homewrecker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
do you guys think a raccoon butterfly would cause havoc in an SPS only tank?

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s hard to say but it’s possible. As with all butterflies, it’s hit or miss with corals. I’d say it’s less of a risk if your SPS are large and established as butterflies tend to just peck and not go all out at corals.

OP
OP
Homewrecker

Homewrecker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s hard to say but it’s possible. As with all butterflies, it’s hit or miss with corals. I’d say it’s less of a risk if your SPS are large and established as butterflies tend to just peck and not go all out at corals.
I have a Majano problem which is the reason I want to put one in there and the copper band has zero interest in them

MtlReef25

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had an Auriga for over a year and he was a good citizen! He cleaned the tank from every Aipstasia I had in the tank, like over a thousand easily in about a month and a half. He then went at the only LPS coral I had in the tank and munched about 50% of it. He died last fall of an unknown reason. I just replaced him by a Pakistani 3 days ago. This is a beautiful fish, but it does nip a whole lot more than the Auriga did, so far. Let's see if I keep him or not!

MIKE NY

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I tried a few different species of Butterflies and Angels because some are really beautiful. All the soft LPS,clams,Zoas etc..were on the menu so they were removed to a different system. They didn’t touch any Euphyllia. My SPS didn’t have any PE during the day… even the Millies, but did at night. I missed having a mixed reef so they had to go….I only keep Genocanthus species of Angels now.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Thety are one of the top candidates especially with softies and sps with polyps. Same for heniocus, pakistani, pearlscale abd auriga

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I tried a few different species of Butterflies and Angels because some are really beautiful. All the soft LPS,clams,Zoas etc..were on the menu so they were removed to a different system. They didn’t touch any Euphyllia. My SPS didn’t have any PE during the day… even the Millies, but did at night. I missed having a mixed reef so they had to go….I only keep Genocanthus species of Angels now.
This is why you need 2 tanks! One for a few corals you can keep with angels/butterflies and for a mixed reef with coral you can’t keep in the other!

Did you find angels/butterflies went for goniopora or were they safe?

MIKE NY

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is why you need 2 tanks! One for a few corals you can keep with angels/butterflies and for a mixed reef with coral you can’t keep in the other!

Did you find angels/butterflies went for goniopora or were they safe?
At the time I didn't have any Gonis,but I wouldn’t of chanced it.

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a Majano problem which is the reason I want to put one in there and the copper band has zero interest in them
I font think that there is anything that would interest in Majano that does not interested in all the corals. Majano is one noxious anemone.

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 47 41.6%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 12 10.6%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 32 28.3%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 20 17.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.8%
Back