BUY A SUMP OR BUILD ONE?

Bluefin1989

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
does it come out to be the same? This including time and buying all of the stuff to build one when you have nothing on hand.
I own a business and I am working 24/7 but I think I can manage to have 30 minutes during the day to do some work on it and then maybe another 30 at night. Or should I just buy a sump online? this is for a 50ish gallon low boy.

WillH

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a trigger 39 for a few years, I loved it! Ended up building my own 2 years ago and will always build in future. You can spec how you want, the exact size you want, etc. I am not sure it was cheaper. And took much longer than 60 minutes to put together! Pics in my build thread

A7BDE1A7-2C93-464F-B1BF-0386BA37A740.jpeg

NeonRabbit221B

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just built my first one last week but have never owned a pre-fab one. It’s nice cause you can design it around your equipment. I used a baffle kit from Melves. Took around 2 hours but it is fairly easy once you get everything lined up

Funston07

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
does it come out to be the same? This including time and buying all of the stuff to build one when you have nothing on hand.
I own a business and I am working 24/7 but I think I can manage to have 30 minutes during the day to do some work on it and then maybe another 30 at night. Or should I just buy a sump online? this is for a 50ish gallon low boy.
I was gonna buy a trigger sump but then went the DIY route. Trigger sump was gonna cost me $400 I built one about the exact same size for $150. Got the sump kit from jax racks and then a new aqueon aquarium and put it together, so glad I did that instead.

BlennyTime

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I upgraded from my 75 to a 180, I decided to repurpose the 75 into a sump. Glass places will cut pieces pretty inexpensively, and all it took was some planning and time. Plus it let me design it around my equipment exactly.

Urtoo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Jax rax is what I used. I am planning 2 additional things that I hope he could complete for me soon.
He is super quick to respond and will chat with you on what you are looking to complete your build. I will always build my own now. I find it far more fulfilling to DIY.
If you absolutely need to fill it quickly, buy one.
If you have time, build it.

xxkenny90xx

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I put my 40 breeder 3 chamber sump together easily for about $75. It was very easy and I love it but it did take longer than an hour...

Nick428

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I made 2 above tank sumps for my 55 out of imagitarium medium tanks cost about $35 with bulkheads,pvc etc. :)

OP
OP
Bluefin1989

Bluefin1989

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a trigger 39 for a few years, I loved it! Ended up building my own 2 years ago and will always build in future. You can spec how you want, the exact size you want, etc. I am not sure it was cheaper. And took much longer than 60 minutes to put together! Pics in my build thread

A7BDE1A7-2C93-464F-B1BF-0386BA37A740.jpeg
That's really nice! I should have said I have at least an hour per day to be able to play with building the sump lol

OP
OP
Bluefin1989

Bluefin1989

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I made 2 above tank sumps for my 55 out of imagitarium medium tanks cost about $35 with bulkheads,pvc etc. :)

Could I get a tank and then go get acrylic sheets from Home depot, caulk those in and be set?

ReefLab

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think it depends on what you want.
Are you running a filter roller? do you want filter socks? Skimmer? refugium? pH/other probes?

if you make your own, the only easy way to do mechanical filtration is a single filter sock (you'll change it often) or a filter roller.

If you're not doing a refugium, I would go with one section with a filter roller and skimmer, then the other section for your return pump. that would be really easy and simple.

It takes longer to measure & prep than it does to actually silicone in the baffles.

Triple.T

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would say just purchase a reputable pre-built. That's my opinion anyway, I would only go custom or build my own if I couldn't find what I was looking for pre built or I needed certain space requirements. Just my .02

OP
OP
Bluefin1989

Bluefin1989

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would say just purchase a reputable pre-built. That's my opinion anyway, I would only go custom or build my own if I couldn't find what I was looking for pre built or I needed certain space requirements. Just my .02
Thank you for your advice :)

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 40 42.1%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 21 22.1%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 32 33.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.1%
Back