Buy Prefab sump?

tb582

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is a sump like this worth it? https://www.customaquariums.com/product/3600gph-reef-83-aquarium-sump-package/ or any of the customaquarium sumps? trying to see if its worth buying a sump vs DIY'ing - I think buying might be the way I go only b/c as long as I oversize it it should handle any upgrades etc in the future vs having the seal/diy a glass sump ?? Thoughts ?

1704222449736.png

TX_REEF

Kessil Fanboy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's a beast of a sump! what size system are you planning? I'm a fan of DIY myself due to the ability to make it as complex or simple as you like, but it depends on your ability/willingness to build one yourself.

OP
OP
tb582

tb582

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's a beast of a sump! what size system are you planning? I'm a fan of DIY myself due to the ability to make it as complex or simple as you like, but it depends on your ability/willingness to build one yourself.
Prob 250g eventually - big upgrade from my existing 75g

RocketEngineer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve seen those before. For that much, you can probably get a custom built acrylic sump. Given how those are connected by a pipe, I highly doubt the 3600gph claim, especially over any timeframe. They also look to be geared towards bio media which is an old methodology and rarely used in modern systems. I would just get a used tank and add glass walls if this were my system.

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m all about diy to save money.. but i do own one of these and it’s a tank! It came with a tank I bought.. I have the first one the 60” hybrid.

Uncle99

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Nate Chalk

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Diy you are looking at $450-500 for something like that. It'll take you time and know how or research and determination

zbryant91

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
you may not want to add more options to the list to pick from, but I have a diy sump and a nicer acrylic; I used this on my 180:
https://synergyreef.com/product/synergy-reef-sk-60-sump/

mostly picked it for convenience and the compatibility with the fleece rollers. I've had 2 of the clarisea controllers die over the last 2 years and I don't want to go back to using socks.

On my 60 gallon frag system, it has a DIY 40 gallon breeder with baffles. Also using a fleece roller on it and have plenty of room for things.

I leave the panels off of my stand most of the time and prefer the look of the acrylic sump, but they both work and depends if you want to spend the money. dosing line holders are nice but there's cheap options to add those. I imagine the lids that came on the acrylic sump are helping with evaporation a bit. Built in pvc bulk heads look nice, but I think they just make maintenance more difficult and make fitting larger pumps harder.
IMG_1707 (1).JPG

mfinn

likes zoanthids
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
If diy isn't your thing, then buying one is a good idea. But why not go with a place that will make one that is perfect for the space you want to fill and is designed by you. I have 2 sumps made by a local acrylic tank builder, Clear Fabrications in Seattle ( they ship). I got everything I asked for and the quality was there.

OP
OP
tb582

tb582

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If diy isn't your thing, then buying one is a good idea. But why not go with a place that will make one that is perfect for the space you want to fill and is designed by you. I have 2 sumps made by a local acrylic tank builder, Clear Fabrications in Seattle ( they ship). I got everything I asked for and the quality was there.
partly I guess b/c Idk what I'm looking for - I kinda want to get one thing and have room to grow...
Yup, for a grand, that’s worth it.

Very nice.
still concerned about the older methodology in one of the other points

Amstar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Check out this guy. A lot of diy sump
Kits - check the drop down box. Would allow u to use your current tank as ur sunp when u upgrade

Lbrdsoxfan

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Check out this guy. A lot of diy sump
Kits - check the drop down box. Would allow u to use your current tank as ur sunp when u upgrade

Hard PASS on that guy, had a terrible experience with them pre 'vid. Had to fight with paypal to get my cash back for a semi custom product that was never shipped.

mfinn

likes zoanthids
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
I have a friend who buys stuff just like the original sump, and it is connected very similar fashion.
It's really not very well built.
You could get so much more for the money spent.

exnisstech

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nothing wrong with a nice acrylic sump but I DIYed an old 125g glass tank as a sump for my 180g display. It's in the basement tho so I have plenty of room and I really don't care how it looks. I even used acrylic baffles which many people say not to do but silicone on both sides of the seam has held up fine for years.

Amstar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hard PASS on that guy, had a terrible experience with them pre 'vid. Had to fight with paypal to get my cash back for a semi custom product that was never shipped.
Yikes good to know. Thanks for the info

Fish Fan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is a sump like this worth it? https://www.customaquariums.com/product/3600gph-reef-83-aquarium-sump-package/ or any of the customaquarium sumps? trying to see if its worth buying a sump vs DIY'ing - I think buying might be the way I go only b/c as long as I oversize it it should handle any upgrades etc in the future vs having the seal/diy a glass sump ?? Thoughts ?

1704222449736.png
Could I please just ask, what makes a sump like this so great? I mean, it’s big for sure, but what’s so special about it for $1100? Would some of you really buy this sump?

What I see is:
  • Skimmer Tub = skimmer section like most sumps have
  • Baffle Tub = a place to hold bags of media like most sumps have
  • 2 Reservoir Tubs = It’s big, plus one here
  • Glass Shelf For Skimmer = something I have never heard of, but my question would be is it adjustable to set the height of the skimmer In the sump?
  • Media Baskets/Bio Media = old school methodology, as others have said
  • 2x Reservoir In-Line Recirculation Fitting = a couple of elbows and some vinyl tubing
  • Reservoir Recirculation Line = not sure, maybe the same as above??
  • Protein Skimmer Not Included = kind of a bad deal for $1100, if you ask me

I’m not trying to sound like a jerk, I’m genuinely asking, what am I missing here that some of you would buy this sump at that price?

To the OP, others have suggested that you use your 75 gallon tank as a sump. FijiCube makes sump baffle kits, they have one that fits 40 gallon tanks. A 40 gallon should be the same width as your 75, so I would think - but I don’t know for sure - that this baffle kit would fit your 75.

FijiCube Sump Baffle Kit 40 Gallon

Just a suggestion.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 15.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 87 57.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 7.2%
Back