OP
OP
tb582

tb582

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To the OP, others have suggested that you use your 75 gallon tank as a sump. FijiCube makes sump baffle kits, they have one that fits 40 gallon tanks. A 40 gallon should be the same width as your 75, so I would think - but I don’t know for sure - that this baffle kit would fit your 75.

FijiCube Sump Baffle Kit 40 Gallon

Just a suggestion.
Thanks - yes I've thought about it but that also assumes I'm ready to upgrade to a bigger tank at the exact same time which I'm not sure I'm going to be.

Fish Fan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks - yes I've thought about it but that also assumes I'm ready to upgrade to a bigger tank at the exact same time which I'm not sure I'm going to be.
Ah yes, that is true, I didn't think that part through :)

BeanAnimal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just stumbled upon this site https://www.lifereef.com/home.html which seems interesting though the site isn't built for newbies so I'm a bit lost
LoL - the site time traveled from the 1980s - but the owner (Jeff) is honest, the products are great and time tested and the the customer service is stellar.

BeanAnimal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Where is the sump going? If you have a fish room, basement or whatever, then you can't go wrong with a rubbermaid stock tank. Cheap, indestructible, flexible, etc.

OP
OP
tb582

tb582

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Where is the sump going? If you have a fish room, basement or whatever, then you can't go wrong with a rubbermaid stock tank. Cheap, indestructible, flexible, etc.
yep in the basement - that seems sooo hacky lol I like DIY but that won't even look nice

BeanAnimal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yep in the basement - that seems sooo hacky lol I like DIY but that won't even look nice
Far from "hacky" - but certainly up to you - but inexpensive, bullet proof and configurable in any way you wish.

I have no clue what your DIY skills are... I can fabricate just about anything and do it properly with commercial or better quality... if I had a basement sump, that last thing I would do is build the thing. I would have 1 (or more) rubbermaid stock tanks setup.

Function over form... Sure, if you are making the sump part of your gameroom and bar, then form counts... otherwise spend your time and money elsewhere.
1704312927322.png

1704312947058.png

1704312974313.png

1704312987606.png

1704313001907.png

1704313110316.png

Search a bit and you can find scores of examples.

Last edited:

bblumberg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just stumbled upon this site https://www.lifereef.com/home.html which seems interesting though the site isn't built for newbies so I'm a bit lost
Lifereef makes great sumps, skimmers, etc. Jeff will customize the design to your exact specifications. Much more costly than DIY, but worth it if you want a premade sump.

OP
OP
tb582

tb582

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Far from "hacky" - but certainly up to you - but inexpensive, bullet proof and configurable in any way you wish.

I have no clue what your DIY skills are... I can fabricate just about anything and do it properly with commercial or better quality... if I had a basement sump, that last thing I would do is build the thing. I would have 1 (or more) rubbermaid stock tanks setup.

Function over form... Sure, if you are making the sump part of your gameroom and bar, then form counts... otherwise spend your time and money elsewhere.
1704312927322.png

Search a bit and you can find scores of examples.
you make some good points here worth considering seeing how its just in the basement so who cares!

but I gotta wonder that sumps are made a certain way for a reason vs big open tubs ? :thinking-face:

BeanAnimal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
you make some good points here worth considering seeing how its just in the basement so who cares!

but I gotta wonder that sumps are made a certain way for a reason vs big open tubs ? :thinking-face:
What is there to wonder?
Sumps server various functions and are built to accommodate those functions. Decide what you want to use the sump for and go from there.

The sump may provide one or more of the following functions
1 - extra system water volume
2 - place to run equipment
3 - place for chemical filtration
4 - place for mechanical filtration
5 - place for extra live rock or media
6 - place for refugium
7 - place for frag grow out
8 - place for fish "jail" or acclimation
9 - place for water changes
10 - larger area to accommodate extra evaporation volume
11 - place to force evaporative cooling
etc.

RocketEngineer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The advantage of a sump with baffles is control of water height/pressure. Skimmers are easiest to tune when the water level doesn’t fluctuate with evaporation. In a big tub, that’s hard to control but in a sump with baffles, theoretically only the return pump section fluctuates. The disadvantage is cost and sumps typically fit under tanks much easier. It’s a trade off. Both work.

BeanAnimal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The advantage of a sump with baffles is control of water height/pressure. Skimmers are easiest to tune when the water level doesn’t fluctuate with evaporation. In a big tub, that’s hard to control but in a sump with baffles, theoretically only the return pump section fluctuates. The disadvantage is cost and sumps typically fit under tanks much easier. It’s a trade off. Both work.
Water height is easy for a skimmer in a stock tank. The skimmer sits in a box that outflows into the tub.

That said, I would (without question) run an external skimmer. Far fewer problems and not prone to overflowing when the return pump stops and the sump backfills.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 83 56.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.8%
Back