Buyers remorse

Squidward

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can't say I was in the hobby then. What kind of per head prices were you seeing back then?
Seen as much as $50 - $100 per head... All of mines melted away. I was basically a noobie trying to hang with the big dogs with the nicest pieces in town. Without doing my appropriate research in SW chemistry etc... it was all for nothing.

Waters

"...in perfect isolation, here behind my wall."
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Probably either the sub-par lighting I have bought in the past or the many Dwarf Angels I have attempted to insert into my reef (which were then promptly removed and traded back to the LFS for less than half of what I paid for them).

jsvand5

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine is settling for a 210g tank when I really wanted a 300g. A deal for a 300g fell through at the last minute and I ended up just going to the LFS and picking up the 210g. I regret the size limitations now.

aqua_code

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lots of SPS corals early on that I wasn't prepared to maintain. I bought a nuvo aquarium that just caused me trouble since the start. I see they have the external overflows now which is a way better route to go. I do not purchase wooden/particle board stands now.

Every coral purchased before a strict water change schedule. Everything I purchased early on got STN or RTN due to lack of pristine water conditions and phosphate control.

Now I realize I can't trust myself to do it and setup a whole AWC system. Every uv sterilizer that was under $200 is trashed now. Countless pumps have siezed. Turf scrubbers are not really used much. Lots of broken protein skimmers.

Sometimes I can salvage things from the graveyard for QT tanks and things like that. The only things that have really made it through the years are the ehiem jagers, my trigger sumps, and most of my avast reactors.

Last edited:

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Broadly in two categories. First would be the gnat-sized frags that seem so common now. Doesn't bother me like it used to mainly because I've come to expect it (and given some time, many of those gnats have grown into nice colonies). Second would be dealing with 'vendors' that are mostly hobbyist-as-business. Been close to lodging a paypal fraud claim on more than one occasion. I usually end up thinking I just should have made it myself.

jsvand5

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Broadly in two categories. First would be the gnat-sized frags that seem so common now. Doesn't bother me like it used to mainly because I've come to expect it (and given some time, many of those gnats have grown into nice colonies). Second would be dealing with 'vendors' that are mostly hobbyist-as-business. Been close to lodging a paypal fraud claim on more than one occasion. I usually end up thinking I just should have made it myself.

Agree on that. It still amazes me that hobbyists are selling frags at the same prices as legit businesses do. I guess it’s just the way it is now.

Katrina71

Learn, Laugh, Love
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
This guy is a baby. However he was in a 5 gallon tank in the lfs for a year. I think he knew how lucky he was to get a home. My son LOVES him. He rubs against my son like a cat.
IMG_20190602_111701273.jpg
I was betting he'd be a big regret.

lbiminiblue

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dragon wrasse. I wasn’t able to see my reef through the dust storm he always caused. Last time I trusted an LFS on a purchase. Everyone has their “come to Jesus” experience with LFSs and that was it for me. Fortunately it wasn’t anything serious but these people straight up told me a dragon wrasse was reef safe.

OP
OP
68Wreefer

68Wreefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This guy is a baby. However he was in a 5 gallon tank in the lfs for a year. I think he knew how lucky he was to get a home. My son LOVES him. He rubs against my son like a cat.
IMG_20190602_111701273.jpg
I was betting he'd be a big regret.
I'm still stuck on the part where a LFS kept a fish alive for a year ;Jawdrop

Kimberely

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A fairly expensive male melanarus wrasse that disappeared 2 days after I received him. And a really cheap wad of chaeto that starved my tank into a dinoflagellate outbreak. Lol

JPergamo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Probably either the sub-par lighting I have bought in the past or the many Dwarf Angels I have attempted to insert into my reef (which were then promptly removed and traded back to the LFS for less than half of what I paid for them).
I agree 100% on both of these. Was going to write almost the exact same post. Love the dwarf Angels a ton but they are all jerks and I love polyp extension more.

newbie2014

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Decided to try RFA once all my RBTA settled in. Bought an ultra RFA for $80. Saw it for only a day and a half. It disappeared forever. I'm cheap........so $80 is a lot to me.

bam123

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bought a Hot Tomale monti-cap Frag from JF, completely pale purple (not bright red in the picture) from day one. I am just hoping one day it will stay alive long enough to color up. Other corals in tanks are doing awesome. I wish there was a standard on lighting spectrum when posting photos and a way to tell if pictures are "enhanced".

erk

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A white tail tang for $200 bucks from a LFS that has a terrible history with fish. Ended up dying a day after I bought it and they don't refund you. Needless to say, I don't shop at that LFS anymore.

AZMSGT

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I get buyers remorse every time I look at my huge empty tank cycling. ;Greedy;Greedy;Greedy

3dvice

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Recently would be a nice frag of bowser zoas that looked great and melted for no reason a week after getting them even thought the other 50+ types of zoas in the tank were all fine :(

OP
OP
68Wreefer

68Wreefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In your experience what falls into the "sub-par" category?

Waters

"...in perfect isolation, here behind my wall."
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In your experience what falls into the "sub-par" category?
For me personally, it was trying to save money by going with a cheaper made LED. The light itself probably would have been fine.....when it worked. I had both units fail within a few months then had to fight with the company to fix......which they never did. I threw them in the trash and bought better lighting which came with better customer support (I hear.....I haven't needed it :) )

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 24 26.4%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 33 36.3%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 27 29.7%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 6 6.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.1%
Back