Buying a 240 gallon

Iafrate

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I finally find a used tank close to me for a good deal the only problem is he wants a deposit so come may when his new tank is here he isn’t stuck with a huge tank. It’s a 240 gallon 8x2x2 with stand for 1200. Sound like a scam? or is there anything safe for me to use to make a deposit?

Gernader

Reefing is a never-ending addiction...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
In my opinion, I would not deposit any amount of money unless you see it in person. Using PayPal is safe as you can file a claim.

Thespammailaccount

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What is the deposit? 50? 100? 1000? Could be an honest person but today you can never really tell. You said you have been looking for awhile. The question is much are you willing to potentially loose if it is a scam

OP
OP
Iafrate

Iafrate

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What is the deposit? 50? 100? 1000? Could be an honest person but today you can never really tell. You said you have been looking for awhile. The question is much are you willing to potentially loose if it is a scam
He said he wants 200 but if it makes me feel better he will take less

OP
OP
Iafrate

Iafrate

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In my opinion, I would not deposit any amount of money unless you see it in person. Using PayPal is safe as you can file a claim.
He also said I could come look at the tank before I decide

Gernader

Reefing is a never-ending addiction...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
He also said I could come look at the tank before I decide
In that case, he might be not a scammer. The price is much lower than I have seen usually, so just be prepared for anything.

OP
OP
Iafrate

Iafrate

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In that case, he might be not a scammer. The price is much lower than I have seen usually, so just be prepared for anything.
The pictures seem good. What price would you normally think for a 240 tank and stand nothing else? Is this a too good to be true deal?

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Large tanks tend to sell low at times due to seller fear that no one has room or wants a tank that large.
Im a “bigger is better guy” when it comes to tanks. This is a nice size and one you will quickly come to love.
I suggest to go see it and assure No leaks, salt creep, deep scratches, condition of stand ,etc.
You will also get an idea if he was one that cared for the tank or simply let it go not caring one bit.
For deposit.... $100 max and write out some type of agreement on terms. I wouldn’t pay any higher on deposit as..... God forbid, what if he gets hit by a semi next week? How are you recovering that deposit?

Thespammailaccount

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He said he wants 200 but if it makes me feel better he will take less
I would look at the tank. If you like it let him know that you have been looking for awhile for a tank and the location is close. I would offer 50 if you have any question about their integrity. If you think it is an honest deal and person after 100 or 150 if 200 is too much

Joe Glass Cages

Passionate Glass Cages’s Team Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I finally find a used tank close to me for a good deal the only problem is he wants a deposit so come may when his new tank is here he isn’t stuck with a huge tank. It’s a 240 gallon 8x2x2 with stand for 1200. Sound like a scam? or is there anything safe for me to use to make a deposit?
have you been able to inspect the used tank? Many unknowns.

Back