Buying an acrylic tank second hand but brand new Concerns.

SALTY 75

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I mostly wanted to ask you guys what I should do as far as storing this new tank. It will likely be a couple months before I am ready to set it up and start a build thread. I have never had a solid acrylic tank like this one before so I wasn’t really sure if it needed any special treatment for storage. My garage isn’t heated so can I leave it to get super cold (-20F on a regular basis) I don’t know if acrylic since it’s plastic if it would warp or contract and break the seams. I attached a picture and a short video of the tank just for fun :p it’s a 65gallon 11”H by 38”- 38”

IMG_3563.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_3561.mov
    39.9 MB
OP
OP
S

SALTY 75

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cold doesn't do the silicone any good. I'd put it in a heated storage facility. Go ahead and get your rock curing.
Silicone? I thought acrylic tanks were welded together? Is there certain acrylic tanks that they’d till use silicone on? Sorry if that’s a beginner question i am pretty new to acrylic . Also does it look like there are maybe bubbles in that corner seam? Or am I being paranoid?

OP
OP
S

SALTY 75

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cold doesn't do the silicone any good. I'd put it in a heated storage facility. Go ahead and get your rock curing.
I’m thinking about using KP aquatics rock to seed mixed with some dry stuff hopefully that works out.

Mikeltee

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Get your dry rock seeded. 3 months will do you a lot of good. Even when I add an occasional 5# dry rock to my 200# ocean harvested rock, it causes problems. It only takes a 20gal Brute, a 50 watt heater and a powerhead.

Check the tank. I would assume that there is a silicone seal even if the panels are chemically "welded". -20 isn't going to do anything any good bro. I'd bring it inside. Your wife isn't ever going to let you get another tank if that seal gives and dumps X gallons of nasty saltwater all over her clean carpet. It's in your best interest to protect the tank's integrity.

OP
OP
S

SALTY 75

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Get your dry rock seeded. 3 months will do you a lot of good. Even when I add an occasional 5# dry rock to my 200# ocean harvested rock, it causes problems. It only takes a 20gal Brute, a 50 watt heater and a powerhead.

Check the tank. I would assume that there is a silicone seal even if the panels are chemically "welded". -20 isn't going to do anything any good bro. I'd bring it inside. Your wife isn't ever going to let you get another tank if that seal gives and dumps X gallons of nasty saltwater all over her clean carpet. It's in your best interest to protect the tank's integrity.
That makes lots of sense thanks. I’ll have to keep the tank inside then because I definitely don’t want to know what 65 gallons is like on the floor. Unfortunately I can’t inspect the tank before I buy it because it’s getting shipped to me.

Xanthurum

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do not store that tank in your garage, especially at those temps. I would suggest keeping it in your home where the temps are much more tolerable. There is a chance it could break if it gets anywhere near -20 degrees.
Acrylic tanks do not have silicone.

Mikeltee

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
If it's not sealed, you may consider putting a bead of Monentive RTV 105 around the seams. You don't know the tanks history. It's super simple to do. I just did my 48x24x30. It took 2 tubes. Use tape for clean seams. It's super sticky. You don't need a thick bead. I made the mistake of going too thick and not pressing down hard enough in one area. It still has 1/4" on each side though. Leak test tomorrow after a 10 day cure.

OP
OP
S

SALTY 75

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do not store that tank in your garage, especially at those temps. I would suggest keeping it in your home where the temps are much more tolerable. There is a chance it could break if it gets anywhere near -20 degrees.
Acrylic tanks do not have silicone.
I am so glad I asked, I almost didn’t because I thought it would be fine but I am SO glad I asked anyways. I definitely won’t be putting it anywhere cold that’s for sure. Does anyone have an opinion on that seam?

OP
OP
S

SALTY 75

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it's not sealed, you may consider putting a bead of Monentive RTV 105 around the seams. You don't know the tanks history. It's super simple to do. I just did my 48x24x30. It took 2 tubes. Use tape for clean seams. It's super sticky. You don't need a thick bead. I made the mistake of going too thick and not pressing down hard enough in one area. It still has 1/4" on each side though. Leak test tomorrow after a 10 day cure.
Is this just to make sure it won’t leak even if the acrylic “welds” are bad? Basically like a silicone glass tank on top of an acrylic welded tank?

Mikeltee

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Do your research before you set this up. Do not run anything that will remove Phosphates or Nitrates aside from a skimmer for the first year. Lots of people running seeded dry rock around here with algae scrubbers and GFO from the start. They are in for a bad time and will probably ditch their aquarium within 6 months. Let nature take its course. You are lucky to get love rock. I redid my tank and didn't want to afford it. I'm in for about a year of pain!

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I mostly wanted to ask you guys what I should do as far as storing this new tank. It will likely be a couple months before I am ready to set it up and start a build thread. I have never had a solid acrylic tank like this one before so I wasn’t really sure if it needed any special treatment for storage. My garage isn’t heated so can I leave it to get super cold (-20F on a regular basis) I don’t know if acrylic since it’s plastic if it would warp or contract and break the seams. I attached a picture and a short video of the tank just for fun :p it’s a 65gallon 11”H by 38”- 38”

IMG_3563.jpeg
This is crazing an not abnormal to see. Leak test tank and acrylic tanks are fused, not siliconed and if it passes leak test should be fine (fill tank for 48 hours to assure no leaks )

OP
OP
S

SALTY 75

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do your research before you set this up. Do not run anything that will remove Phosphates or Nitrates aside from a skimmer for the first year. Lots of people running seeded dry rock around here with algae scrubbers and GFO from the start. They are in for a bad time and will probably ditch their aquarium within 6 months. Let nature take its course. You are lucky to get love rock. I redid my tank and didn't want to afford it. I'm in for about a year of pain!
Oh man that’s rough I’m sorry to hear that. Yeah I have made a lot of mistakes in this hobby and so I am really looking forward to taking as much time as I need with this tank. Right now I am mostly snagging good deals on new equipment so that once I start my tank it will be “perfect”

I haven’t ran an algae scrubber or GFO before, I am a pretty firm believer in natural is better and “most” problems can be avoided

OP
OP
S

SALTY 75

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is crazing an not abnormal to see. Leak test tank and acrylic tanks are fused, not siliconed and if it passes leak test should be fine (fill tank for 48 hours to assure no leaks )
Hm ok, I didn’t know that was a thing but it’s good to learn. Thanks tons. You think a 48 hour test will pretty much weed out any problems I would have with the seams?

Mikeltee

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Oh man that’s rough I’m sorry to hear that. Yeah I have made a lot of mistakes in this hobby and so I am really looking forward to taking as much time as I need with this tank. Right now I am mostly snagging good deals on new equipment so that once I start my tank it will be “perfect”

I haven’t ran an algae scrubber or GFO before, I am a pretty firm believer in natural is better and “most” problems can be avoided
I ran 10 years with only a skimmer and never had an issue. I couldn't get acro to grow so I tried to lower the nutrients. I got dinos and tried 3 years to get rid of them. The acro problem was too much light. Lol

OP
OP
S

SALTY 75

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I ran 10 years with only a skimmer and never had an issue. I couldn't get acro to grow so I tried to lower the nutrients. I got dinos and tried 3 years to get rid of them. The acro problem was too much light. Lol
HAHA sorry not trying to laugh at you but that sums up the hobby pretty well in a lot of ways. It’s hard to find the right balance but so worth it once you do .

Mikeltee

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
There's some great deals to be found here if your patient. I highly recommend MP40s. Mine are about 14 years old. I got a couple of Neros for my qt and they suck!

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 37 15.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 5.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 135 58.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 16 6.9%
Back