Buying corals from multiple LFS

Deadlocked

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I found a LFS that ive been buying live stock from religiously because everything they've given me has thrived. But because of rising covid numbers in certain countries they haven't been getting a lot of new coral shipped in.
Im a little hesitant to buy coral from other places since the coral ice bought from this place has done so well, but i also want more coral. What do you think? Thanks in advance.

PeterC99

Solarbenchmark.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you tried buying from fellow hobbyists? Find some of the best corals and prices available from other aquarists. Always important to dip corals no matter whom you buy from.

OP
OP
D

Deadlocked

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you tried buying from fellow hobbyists? Find some of the best corals and prices available from other aquarists. Always important to dip corals no matter whom you buy from.
Do you mean hobbyists on here? Or local hobbyists? Either way i don't know who to trust or how to tell if someone is trustworthy

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you mean hobbyists on here? Or local hobbyists? Either way i don't know who to trust or how to tell if someone is trustworthy
I only buy coral from local reefers. Whether found on the livestock forum on here or FB groups. No shipping, better health and better prices.

OP
OP
D

Deadlocked

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I only buy coral from local reefers. Whether found on the livestock forum on here or FB groups. No shipping, better health and better prices.
Do you mind giving a quick explanation of the livestock forum on here? Is there a rating system for sales?

Jekyl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you mind giving a quick explanation of the livestock forum on here? Is there a rating system for sales?
Find the livestock selling forum. Use the filter and put your state into the prefix. That will narrow down the area for you. Then just find people who are close to you. No need for a rating system when you can usually just go to their house and see what they have.

Mr. Mojo Rising

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree with others that local reefers is one of the best sources of healthy, cheap corals. I also think you might be really limiting yourself with just one LFS. LFS's, like any retail stores, all have different contacts, different relationships, and different price points. You might be missing opportunities by not looking at what others have to offer.

Jekyl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Through local reefers I've gotten a 8" rainbow BTA for $50. I also got a 10 frag pack that included designer names for $150

aSaltyKlown

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've gotten the majority of my corals through a regional club. I have not had any issues with any coral. I do inspect and dip the majority of my corals regardless of where they come from. Most folks are not out to do you wrong and many tell you if there is something going on in their tank. One person I purchased from mentioned they had been fighting flatworms. I still purchased and took the appropriate cautions and that coral is doing great and did not infect my system. My best purchase was an 8x5 piece of rock with a colony of Berrybomb Merletti and green Grandis Palys for $30.
1629908952548.png

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd say give them a shot. Buy something cheaper and give them a test run.

PeterC99

Solarbenchmark.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Both Hobbyists here and local hobbyists.

Look for feedback from other people that have bought locally. An excellent source!

Also when you go to another hobbyist to buy corals, check out the quality of their aquariums and setups. Definitely a sign of the quality of their corals. These hobbyists also offer excellent advice for your aquarium!

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 53 40.2%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 27 20.5%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 48 36.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back