Buying eels and know what to look for

Discussion in 'Predatory Fish Discussion' started by Earl Karl, Mar 6, 2018.

1. Earl Karl

Earl Karl Active Member

So I have bought a ton of eels since I have started the hobby, they have tons of personality and my hawaiian dragon eel the first thing guests look at in my display reef. However, I have always thought eels were disease resistant, so I about I relatively healthy snowflake eel. Until he got nose cancer and passed away recently. This was confirmed by an autopsy by a vet. When I did buy him though, he did have brown streaks on his snout. I went to my lfs (which is a really good lfs), all of the big snowflake had some brown streaks (not as bad as the one I purchased). What does this mean? Are there anything else I should be looking for in a snowflake eel?

2. eatbreakfast

eatbreakfast Fish Nerd Staff Member Team R2R R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Partner Member 2019 Partner Member Showcase Editor Expert Contributor

3. Bob Loblaw

Bob Loblaw Well-Known Member R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Reef Squad Louisiana Reef Club

Disease resistant refers to parasites not cancer, liver disease, heart disease... Aberrant color/patterns are normal and I wouldn't let them sway my decision on purchase. Physical deformities are a different story though.

eatbreakfast likes this.
  4. graffitireef

graffitireef Active Member

Thats interesting. I didnt know they suffered from cancers like that. Every eel I've had was near impossible to kill. I've had 2 even jump out of the tank that was covered (still dont understand how they did it) and lay on the ground for a few hours before I found them, put them back into water and them revive themselves.

5. tyler1503

tyler1503 Valuable Member R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Reef Squad Article Contributor

This is basically what to look for when buying a new eel. Or any fish for that matter :)

- fading colours.
    - loss of appetite (if a dormant stage has been ruled out).
    - swelling of the face or body.
    - cuts or scrapes that change in colour, shape, size or texture or will not heal.
    - weak swimming ability.
    - acting lethargic and sluggish.
    - cloudy eyes.
    - strange and often discoloured patches of skin or bumps.
    - unnatural coloured poop.
    - swelling of the abdomen.

It's copied and pasted directly from an article I wrote a while ago. Some information needs updating, but the important stuff should still be good.

https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/eel-care-guide.190769/

mdbannister likes this.
  6. Earl Karl

Earl Karl Active Member

Ok, that's pretty hard to distinguish then. Last time I bought an eel who looked healthy and showed no symptoms (besides brown streaks on snout), ended up get nostril cancer. I took a gamble on a beautiful eel though. I'm pretty sure this type of thing happens to one in a million eels. I now have a 27 inch monster (literally 3 inches diameter), which was offered as a gift from the owner. But I wanted to support the lfs and paid the price for it ($100). I plan to grow out a small eel to full grown in the future though. Right now I want to spend time with this beast. RIP my food budget.

mdbannister likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted