Buying Fish from LiveAquaria

Crashnt24

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just recently (7/5) purchased 4 leopard wrasses from @LiveAquaria and was wondering what everyone's experience has been with them..

I've heard that they drop ship the non-Diver's Den fish from wholesalers at a lower salinity. However, aside from that, they are a question mark to me as a first time buyer. Seems reviews on here are a little mixed. Mostly just looking for people's experience but if anyone knows the answers to the below questions, it would be really helpful.

Does anyone know what the shipping schedule is like with COVID? I sent a message to their customer service and haven't heard anything. The site said that they were sending them tomorrow but I've never seen a tracking email. Are they really delayed with their order fulfillment?

Does anyone know how long fish remain with their wholesalers before being put on the site? What do they feed them in the interim?

I bought a Blue Spot Jawfish form them since I couldn't find one locally. He is healthy and going strong. Only fish I bought from them so I cant speak in volume, but I was happy with the condition of the fish. No parasites and eating healthy from the get go.

FlexingFishSticks

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought a Blue Spot Jawfish form them since I couldn't find one locally. He is healthy and going strong. Only fish I bought from them so I cant speak in volume, but I was happy with the condition of the fish. No parasites and eating healthy from the get go.
Getting one of those tomorrow from my LFS! Very pricey at 120$

See Gee Sea

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve ordered fish, inverts, and corals as my tank was fully cycled during the start of the pandemic. The biggest challenge was with UPS getting the overnight shipments to me since they were overwhelmed. I only had 2 Chromis arrive dead and Live Aquaria made good on a credit for them and some inverts that didn’t make it. All of their fish they recommend a several hour acclimation so I’m suspecting they have a low salinity. I dropped a royal grammar in after 15 min because he was riding around in a UPD truck all day and he’s doing great but he is a pretty hardy fish.

Fourstars

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I stay away from LA, no reason a fish that is shipped overnight should show up dead or close to. I’ve ordered scarlet hermit package where half the shipment was just empty shells and also received a freshwater fish I did not order. Seems like the guys/gals packing don’t care or are not knowledgeable. Just a fish mill. never had any issues with orders from divers den, just a little pricey so better options out there.

Miller535

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is very important to remember that some fish do not ship well. I believe leopard wrasses are definitely ones that do not ship well, jawfish are another one famous for arriving DOA. That is not the fault of the seller. If you go talk to a LFS, there are certain fish they arrive dead a high percentage of the time. Because of this, some fish are better purchased at a LFS because of this reason. This is the same reason that LFS raise the price of these fish, to cover the cost of all the DOA's that they get.

OP
OP
Rrwilson1223

Rrwilson1223

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is very important to remember that some fish do not ship well. I believe leopard wrasses are definitely ones that do not ship well, jawfish are another one famous for arriving DOA. That is not the fault of the seller. If you go talk to a LFS, there are certain fish they arrive dead a high percentage of the time. Because of this, some fish are better purchased at a LFS because of this reason. This is the same reason that LFS raise the price of these fish, to cover the cost of all the DOA's that they get.

Oh, I'm definitely not blaming them for the DOAs. Its just unfortunate with how far these fish have to travel. I did hear that they have issues with the shipping bags due to lack of sand to burrow. Someone I read in the past mentioned that a large number of fatalities would be avoided if the wholesellers just included a small amount in each bag with them.

Regardless, I'm hoping LA keeps their end of the DOA policy. The remaining 2 did well yesterday.. I put a jar of Tigger Pods in and they seemed to be enjoying it.

Miller535

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh, I'm definitely not blaming them for the DOAs. Its just unfortunate with how far these fish have to travel. I did hear that they have issues with the shipping bags due to lack of sand to burrow. Someone I read in the past mentioned that a large number of fatalities would be avoided if the wholesellers just included a small amount in each bag with them.

Regardless, I'm hoping LA keeps their end of the DOA policy. The remaining 2 did well yesterday.. I put a jar of Tigger Pods in and they seemed to be enjoying it.

They have always kept up their DOA policy for me. They give you store credit for the fish, or they will replace them minus shipping cost.

artieg1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Consider adding a small tupperware container with sand for the leopard wrasses, as they will want to bury at night. I bought three leopard wrasses from LA 2 years ago, and QT'd them successfully in that manner.

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you QT, adjust the salinity down to match the incoming bag water …. float for 15 minutes to equalize temp and then pour 'em in. Long established best practice.

OP
OP
Rrwilson1223

Rrwilson1223

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Consider adding a small tupperware container with sand for the leopard wrasses, as they will want to bury at night. I bought three leopard wrasses from LA 2 years ago, and QT'd them successfully in that manner.
I placed a couple of them in there. Along with a couple of small pieces of rock with pods. So far so good.

A5FDC965-2C3B-4DB9-A782-5472A2FF375B.jpeg

OP
OP
Rrwilson1223

Rrwilson1223

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here’s a link to the thread showing how they are doing:

OP
OP
Rrwilson1223

Rrwilson1223

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
LiveAquaria gave me a credit on the 2 that died. I just had to send a pic with them on a white background. Would’ve replaced them but seems they are out of stock again. May try another group with blue stars next time. But I’ll wait until the current group is in the display.

MohrReefs

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
LiveAquaria gave me a credit on the 2 that died. I just had to send a pic with them on a white background. Would’ve replaced them but seems they are out of stock again. May try another group with blue stars next time. But I’ll wait until the current group is in the display.
I found a Blue star at my LFS, seems to be in great shape. Really pretty fish! Hope your leopards survive, from what I hear they are tough fish to keep alive. But nothing in life worth doing is easy in my experience. ;)
20200711_120927.jpg

OP
OP
Rrwilson1223

Rrwilson1223

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I found a Blue star at my LFS, seems to be in great shape. Really pretty fish! Hope your leopards survive, from what I hear they are tough fish to keep alive. But nothing in life worth doing is easy in my experience. ;)
20200711_120927.jpg
Beautiful fish! Yeah, I’m tempted to try them with the next round. Going for a mixed wrasse colony in my Reefer 750. With a few tangs and such.

My current residents are settling in nicely. Had one sleep in today though and just now peaked out:

76B4EED6-E1C4-4A14-AD57-B95DE2669B2E.jpeg

Jerry Barnes

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Been ordering from them for years. Even on DD fish I QT after getting burned several times with ich . Generally speaking their fish are better quality than the LFS. Over the last 10 years I’ve never had a issue with their shipping.

OP
OP
Rrwilson1223

Rrwilson1223

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I hate to report it, but all 4 of the leopard wrasses passed away. The 2 that we’re doing well both had the same symptoms. Started swimming erratically and died on their sides. Although I’ve really wanted At least a pair of leopards in the DT, I think I’ll start with fairy wrasses...

U

User1

View Badges

The issue with the Blue Spot Jawfish is that it is found at greater depth and in colder waters. Not uncommon for these fish to be in their own species tank due to 72 to 76 Fahrenheit water. Similar to the Catalina goby. Some people keep them successfully in reefs and even in pairs. However, it wouldn't be something I'd try unless my water was in that range.

MohrReefs

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I hate to report it, but all 4 of the leopard wrasses passed away. The 2 that we’re doing well both had the same symptoms. Started swimming erratically and died on their sides. Although I’ve really wanted At least a pair of leopards in the DT, I think I’ll start with fairy wrasses...
They're tough fish, dont be discouraged.

Back