Buying New fish and avoiding Ich

nightmarepl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
looking to buy a few new fish into my tank currently i have 2 tangs that have been treated from ich with copper about 2 years ago never got it again living their best lives, trying to get a few new fish and really dont want to get ich introduced what would be the best way around this

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Quarantine is best assurance

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
looking to buy a few new fish into my tank currently i have 2 tangs that have been treated from ich with copper about 2 years ago never got it again living their best lives, trying to get a few new fish and really dont want to get ich introduced what would be the best way around this
The very best way would be to give the new fish a comprehensive quarantine yourself. The second best method is to buy pre quarantined fish from a vendor who outlines their process well enough for you to evaluate it.
Jay

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
You can but if
test kits used for copper safe?
you follow dosage per manufacturer, you can get by without one as product is chelated form

ZoWhat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think the best way is to bring everyone together and talk about it.

When you bring in the new fish, have a meeting with the other Tangs.

Ask questions. Ask the Tangs if they're OK with the new roommate. Get all grievances out in the open. Get all fish to agree upon who sleeps where. Who likes certain parts of the tank and when. Cooperation is key.

Allow the older Tangs to have first choices since they've been there the longest. But compromise a little so the newcomer doesn't feel unwanted. Building a good Team from the start is a good start.

Compromise while making sure everyone's feeling are secure is important.

Ask the new fish how they're doing. Are they feeling well? What's their favorite thing to eat that nutritious and will keep them healthy.

Maybe throw together a meet and greet welcome party with food and drink so everyone can get to know the newcomer. Share stories, play team building games. Important thing to remember is the newcomer needs to feel welcomed.

Communication communication communication is key. Keep an open door policy where every fish has a voice and can come to you for concerns and conflicts

Stay in tune with each fish's needs even if they don't outwardly express it.

Last edited:

Biokabe

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
copper quarantine or just regular tank and watch for ich to pop out?
If you're concerned about introducing ich into the tank and absolutely do not want to tank any chances, the only way to be sure is to follow a full QT procedure with prophylactic treatment, whether the fish show signs of ich or not. You can find any number of good QT protocols online; choose one that you can handle and that treats for anything you're worried about.

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

TSM or dr reef sell QT fish. Otherwise need to QT your own.

Back