buying online

Ubergroover

Engineer by day, Musician/golfer/reefer by night
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am a reef newbie...A buddy of mine swears by buying his fish online. Its the dead of winter here and my gut says dont do it. has anyone done this in the colder months? Good experience? Bad experience?

ubasu

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think it's preferable to ship in the winter. It's easier to keep the package warm with heat packs. Than cool with cold packs.

Maritimer

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's a common and frequent practice, and most of the shippers take it right in stride.

Read up on acclimating a shipped fish - the ideal procedures are a little different from bringing one home from your corner LFS - and schedule a delivery time when you can be home to receive.

~Bruce

Reefiness

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As long as you're buying from a reputable source as many have said, you will have no problems. They know how to ship in all types of weather and if they think there will be any issues they will delay the shipment until weather improves.

ChronicRage

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey, I'm also knew to buying corals and stuff online. What are some recommended sites?

ws6kid

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lots of our sponsors are pretty awesome. The few on ebay usually have some nice deals depending on what price points you want.

Our local fish stores aren't awesome sometimes, so I order almost everything online and have it shipped in the heat and cold.

ThunderGoose

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I buy a lot of fish and corals on line and I've had really good experiences. Only once has anything come in DOA and the company was very responsive.

I've used BlueZoo, Divers Den, CoralReefTN, Cultivated Corals, Vivid, and... I think one other that I'm forgetting right now. I also buy from local fellow reefers.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 57 40.7%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 29 20.7%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 49 35.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.6%
Back