Ca reactor and tank questions.

Ordovician_Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As it turns out we got an educators discount from Waterbox on our 190.5 so I am thinking about investing in a Ca reactor, I know it will not be needed for a while but if the money is available now I am gonna use it. I have settled on :

cTech T-2 Calcium Reactor

T-X Secondary Media Chamber for Calcium Reactors

Milwaukee MC122 pH Controller

I am open to thoughts or suggestions?

Also, can anyone give some good recommendations on a good tank/valve setup, something mid range in price.

Thanks
Rick

OP
OP
O

Ordovician_Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any thoughts on this tank? It is for adding CO2 to a freshwater system but would it also work for supplying a Ca rector?

Snoopy 67

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tank size is dependant on your needs. A tank full of SPS will need more CO2 than one just starting out.
There is no difference in the connection size or thread from a 5 to a 20 pound tank.
A dual gauge regulator can be like a car - from a Kia to a Lamborghini in price.
Many like the Carbon Doser but that is not cheap either. What is important really is when the tank gets low on pressure said valve will still work without "dumping" the co2 into the reactor.

OP
OP
O

Ordovician_Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tank size is dependant on your needs. A tank full of SPS will need more CO2 than one just starting out.
There is no difference in the connection size or thread from a 5 to a 20 pound tank.
A dual gauge regulator can be like a car - from a Kia to a Lamborghini in price.
Many like the Carbon Doser but that is not cheap either. What is important really is when the tank gets low on pressure said valve will still work without "dumping" the co2 into the reactor.

I was looking at the Tunze CO2 Regulator 7077.3 And a Milwaukee solenoid and pH controller. Likely go with a 10 pound tank. I am curious, why would low tank pressure cause CO2 to be dumped into the reactor?

Hal3134

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hit up Alan Lee on the planted tanks group on Facebook for a custom two stage regulator that won’t dump the CO2 when the supply tank gets low. I think you can find his contact info here too.I researched the heck out of regulators and ultimately went with him.

bakbay

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Custom regulators will last a lifetime.
True and I have a custom regulator as well. However, it doesn’t have a “dial or indicator” to tell how much CO2 is opened or a frame of reference — well, at least mine doesn’t. On a Carbon Doser, one can visually see how many bubbles per min.

bakbay

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Regulators aside, I think the best investment one can make is a device that delivers a consistent effluent rate. I struggled for a long time with needle valves but settled on a peristaltic pump. Alk is a lot stable now. Mine is set at 55mls/min and simply dial up more CO2 as consumption demands.

OP
OP
O

Ordovician_Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Regulators aside, I think the best investment one can make is a device that delivers a consistent effluent rate. I struggled for a long time with needle valves but settled on a peristaltic pump. Alk is a lot stable now. Mine is set at 55mls/min and simply dial up more CO2 as consumption demands.
I do plan to use a dosing pump, I agree that may be the most important control on the system. Set the pH and control the dosing.

Rick

Matt1997

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
0   0   1
Geosreef reactor with a 10lb tank controlled by a carbon doser and a kamoer peri pump. Best combination for success.

Back