MalteserReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I look to you for inspiration and advice :)
Planning a 2.6m x 1m x 1m reef for my great room. Still in early stages, only the floor support is done. Our carpenters are are asking us for clear instructions on what we want with respect to the sump cabinets and the canopy cabinets that go all the way up to the ceiling. Im not entirely sure how best to proceed. The material will be limewashed solid oak. The canopy will extend from the top of the tank to the false ceiling made of gypsumboard (I think its the same as drywall?).

Do I…
1. Plan normal sump doors that open sideways
2. Plan for doors that just hang with hooks or attach with strong magnets and can be removed completely like art frames for an open space for easy maintenance
3. Plan for doors that hinge upward (very concerned with any sort of hinge in the presence of saltwater)
4. Any other idea that our carpenters or we have not yet thought of?

(I need the canopy to go all the way up to the ceiling, since I wish for 4 orphek amazonas 960 modules to be mounted directly to the ceiling, 1m or so high above the surface of the water. The screenshots from the 3D rendering app show a steel frame that I might do away with. Will probably prefer to have the tank sit on I-beams and cinder blocks and have the sump accessible without interruptions.

TIA x

IMG_2956.jpeg
IMG_2957.jpeg IMG_2958.jpeg IMG_3017.jpeg

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds like this will be quite the project! I personally wish my cabinet (arguably smaller) had magnetic panels (option #2) that were just held in-place and that I could remove for any kind of serious maintenance. Having panels that swing upward on the canopy would probably be ideal.

Check out Parker's Reef on YouTube. He's an Aussie that has a lot of details on his custom monster tank.

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure what the bricks are for but I’d go with what you got in the rest… canopy doors open upwards with shocks, bottom doors around the entire thing that open normal.

bakbay

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
if you are using what looks like a welded steel frame, what are the bricks for??
I have the same question.

Additionally, why is the stand’s top is made of marble? You will never see it again anyway. Besides — added weight and cost with really no purpose, imo.

OP
OP
MalteserReefer

MalteserReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the same question.

Additionally, why is the stand’s top is made of marble? You will never see it again anyway. Besides — added weight and cost with really no purpose, imo.
I’ve never kept an aquarium without marble tbh. It’s always seen as a perfect nice flat surface to keep weight on. force of habit more than anything, but I consider having a 4” shelf going around the whole thing so the marble extends out

bakbay

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve never kept an aquarium without marble tbh. It’s always seen as a perfect nice flat surface to keep weight on. force of habit more than anything, but I consider having a 4” shelf going around the whole thing so the marble extends out
1/4" plywood does the same job for me actually. If you can extend out (hopefully beveled) that would be awesome to put beverages (or fragging) tools, that would be awesome. Hope that 4" extension won't be used as something to stand on w/o proper support though.

Other than that, it's an awesome build - love it! Good luck & have fun!

OP
OP
MalteserReefer

MalteserReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1/4" plywood does the same job for me actually. If you can extend out (hopefully beveled) that would be awesome to put beverages (or fragging) tools, that would be awesome. Hope that 4" extension won't be used as something to stand on w/o proper support though.

Other than that, it's an awesome build - love it! Good luck & have fun!
Thank you :)

I’m going to try and fashion a removable walkway to stand on. Cabinet doors come off, walkway goes in, potentially using the strength of the beams/hollow sections as support of the walkway.

OP
OP
MalteserReefer

MalteserReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
sidenote, not related to cabinets.
This is where the project got to so far. Maltese houses arent always built on bedrock, sometimes, just like the house we just bought, they’re build on stone brick foundations with 6 feet of rubble under the floors. That wont hold a 700 gallon for obvious reasons. My architect convinced me it’s not overkill :beaming-face-with-smiling-eyes:

I’m new to this forum thing. Should I make this into a thread with monthly updates even just for my own documentation/memory? :p

Attachments

• IMG_9474.jpeg
    IMG_9474.jpeg
    279.3 KB · Views: 29
  • IMG_9472.jpeg
    IMG_9472.jpeg
    258.1 KB · Views: 31
  • IMG_9473.jpeg
    IMG_9473.jpeg
    230.9 KB · Views: 32
  • IMG_9324.jpeg
    IMG_9324.jpeg
    205.3 KB · Views: 26
  • IMG_9619.jpeg
    IMG_9619.jpeg
    236.3 KB · Views: 33
  • IMG_9643.jpeg
    IMG_9643.jpeg
    242.3 KB · Views: 32
  • IMG_9642.jpeg
    IMG_9642.jpeg
    158.4 KB · Views: 24

Gumbies R Us

Another Fish in the Sea
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
sidenote, not related to cabinets.
This is where the project got to so far. Maltese houses arent always built on bedrock, sometimes, just like the house we just bought, they’re build on stone brick foundations with 6 feet of rubble under the floors. That wont hold a 700 gallon for obvious reasons. My architect convinced me it’s not overkill :beaming-face-with-smiling-eyes:

I’m new to this forum thing. Should I make this into a thread with monthly updates even just for my own documentation/memory? :p
Make it a build thread! You can link this thread to your profile and get a cool badge under your name as well. Here is the link!

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 42 15.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 16 6.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 32 12.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 154 58.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 7.2%
Back