Cable management

StPatrick89

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would like some suggestions for cable management. I have two tanks side by side utilizing two power strips and one extension cord, all on the floor. Anyone know how I could clean that up?

Quietman

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There's all kinds of ways as I'm sure you've seen. Separate cabinet along side main is what I did with a power distribution switch out the side. You can mount on board in cabinet, hang on back, get a box on floor and just everything out of the way.

The only two things I'd say which ever way you go. Do not use tie wraps. It's a pain to cut those every time you want to switch or do maintenance. Use velcro wraps, or twist ties. I'm not a big fan of those cable wraps either that you have to unwind.

Secondly...buy a label maker. Label everything - at both ends if possible. Cord ends, power bricks, switches in side and plugs outside.

More indepth on my specific solution here if you want ideas.

siggy

My Aquariums Going Again
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Build a box with open sides, you can hide the cables then set a plant or stuff on it.

Gaspipe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought this, and it work very very well

JPEG image 4.jpeg

OP
OP
StPatrick89

StPatrick89

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There's all kinds of ways as I'm sure you've seen. Separate cabinet along side main is what I did with a power distribution switch out the side. You can mount on board in cabinet, hang on back, get a box on floor and just everything out of the way.

The only two things I'd say which ever way you go. Do not use tie wraps. It's a pain to cut those every time you want to switch or do maintenance. Use velcro wraps, or twist ties. I'm not a big fan of those cable wraps either that you have to unwind.

Secondly...buy a label maker. Label everything - at both ends if possible. Cord ends, power bricks, switches in side and plugs outside.

More indepth on my specific solution here if you want ideas.
Label maker is essential

Mical

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree, so how do you run your shorter cords so they can even reach the box?
The only cords I've had to extend were the vortechs. There's a member here on R2R who makes/sells extension cables for vortechs. All other cords reach no problem. I run them along the back of the tank in rails at the top of the stand.

OP
OP
StPatrick89

StPatrick89

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The only cords I've had to extend were the vortechs. There's a member here on R2R who makes/sells extension cables for vortechs. All other cords reach no problem. I run them along the back of the tank in rails at the top of the stand.
Got it thanks

Jbell370

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Who might that member be? Been looking for a few sets of extensions for them.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 38 43.2%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 20 22.7%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 28 31.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.3%
Back