Cade 1800S2 vs Waterbox 220.6

Rams

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Hello everyone,

‘’Happy Labor Day “ We are moving to new home October 2nd week, planning to build reef system(SPS dominated).

Thinking of Cade 100 S2 pro or waterbox 220.6 or any nice custom tank brand? Please provide your suggestions.

Peach02

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Personally these are the most important advantages from each tank for me

Cade 1800 PRS2
  • aluminium cabinet
  • 16 socket power board and controller panel built in
  • huge sump sections
  • twin intake weir and no lump taken out of display by weir
  • larger ATO built in (3.4L)
  • larger display size (due to no weir space taken out) (16L larger)
  • comes with lid
  • 1 more manifold tap by default
  • white base glass (if going bare bottom)
Waterbox 220.6
  • large user base
  • slightly larger display dimensions (3.6cm longer 4.3cm wider)
  • easier to modify for roller mat
  • doors seem better quality personally but I haven't seen cade tanks in person in a while
not sure on who's glass is clearer but for Cade you need to modify ATO lid or lid for most light mounts

Punchanello

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not quite apples and apples but I have the previous version of the Cade Pro Reef and I have just purchased a Waterbox. I love the Waterbox and would not consider getting a Cade again unless -

- The flimsy door hinge mechanisms are upgraded.
- The plumbing is significantly improved. Despite a couple of replacement valves I had to redo mine entirely because of fluctuating water levels.
- Replace the plastic overflow with a glass one. In fact, upgrade anything plastic because it the material used is pretty cheap.
- Larger sump doors.

They may have addressed all these issues in the latest version. I don't know.

Despite the aluminium frame on the Cade PR and some nice features, the finish and design of the Waterbox is generally better in my opinion.

OP
OP
Rams

Rams

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Not quite apples and apples but I have the previous version of the Cade Pro Reef and I have just purchased a Waterbox. I love the Waterbox and would not consider getting a Cade again unless -

- The plumbing is significantly improved. Despite a couple of replacement valves I had to redo mine entirely because of fluctuating water levels.
- Replace the plastic overflow with a glass one. In fact, upgrade anything plastic because it the material used is pretty cheap.
- Larger sump doors.

Despite the aluminium frame on the Cade PR and some nice features, the finish and design of the Waterbox is generally better in my opinion.
Thank you

OP
OP
Rams

Rams

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Personally these are the most important advantages from each tank for me

Cade 1800 PRS2
  • aluminium cabinet
  • 16 socket power board and controller panel built in
  • huge sump sections
  • twin intake weir and no lump taken out of display by weir
  • larger ATO built in (3.4L)
  • larger display size (due to no weir space taken out) (16L larger)
  • comes with lid
  • 1 more manifold tap by default
  • white base glass (if going bare bottom)
Waterbox 220.6
  • large user base
  • slightly larger display dimensions (3.6cm longer 4.3cm wider)
  • easier to modify for roller mat
  • doors seem better quality personally but I haven't seen cade tanks in person in a while
not sure on who's glass is clearer but for Cade you need to modify ATO lid or lid for most light mounts
Thank you

reefraz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am having the same tank, Cade pro reef s2 1800 installed on the weekend (can’t wait)

let me know if you have questions

re the lights, if you are hanging them off the back (like I am) you either take the ATO covers off or you cut holes in them

The director of Cade (Adam Dalton) is pretty deceptive to emails as well, just try the basic Cade email on their Australian website

OP
OP
Rams

Rams

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
I am having the same tank, Cade pro reef s2 1800 installed on the weekend (can’t wait)

let me know if you have questions

re the lights, if you are hanging them off the back (like I am) you either take the ATO covers off or you cut holes in them

The director of Cade (Adam Dalton) is pretty deceptive to emails as well, just try the basic Cade email on their Australian website
Super thanks for the info.

ddaddy2420

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the Cade SR 900 - very user friendly - built in ATO which is awesome. Cabinet is very high quality, i think the doors are actually glass now. I feel like all those items from the user who had the previous Cade version have been answered in some fashion. This thing is a very high quality tank/stand. Much better than the Red Sea, which i had before. Below is the 1800, you would have so much room in that sump, it's ridiculous. My 900 is a little cramped but i got everything i needed in it.

1600379114367.png

JoshB94

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love my Waterbox 230.6 (replaced by the 220). I haven't had a cade to truly compare, they seem great too but very happy with mine.

WB Canopy.jpg

ddaddy2420

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My biggest complaint about the CADE is the use of uPVC plumbing. This stuff does not fit standard PVC which us in the states mainly have handy. Of course lots of people do their own plumbing so that part doesn't matter, but this being my first tank, that's one less thing to worry about so i kept the CADE plumbing. However, i did figure out a way around the 1/2" uPVC True union ball valves that come with the system. I purchased regular 1/2" PVC true union ball vales and used the endings off those and didn't have to change any piping or find any uPVC stuff at all. Easy peesy.

AlgaeBarn

Marine Aquariums Made Easy!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
My biggest complaint about the CADE is the use of uPVC plumbing. This stuff does not fit standard PVC which us in the states mainly have handy. Of course lots of people do their own plumbing so that part doesn't matter, but this being my first tank, that's one less thing to worry about so i kept the CADE plumbing. However, i did figure out a way around the 1/2" uPVC True union ball valves that come with the system. I purchased regular 1/2" PVC true union ball vales and used the endings off those and didn't have to change any piping or find any uPVC stuff at all. Easy peesy.

We appreciate the feedback. We are in talks with the CADE factory to determine the possibility of moving from DIN sizing system to Schedule 40/80 Plumbing. I'm glad you were able to get it sorted.

AlgaeBarn

Marine Aquariums Made Easy!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

- Larger sump doors.

Hi @Punchanello,

I appreciate the feedback, in the new REEF S2 design:

• Door hinge mechanism was upgraded and finger groove has been moved to the top
  • Plumbing has been upgraded to a micro-adjustment gate valve.
  • No more closed loop stuff.
  • Grates are still plastic, but we can send replacements for an easy swap out if you want to clean them.
  • Cabinet Doors are taller to account for the taller stand.
  • Sump/cabinet was completely redesigned to give full access on the left side and a dry/isolated electronics area on the right side.

We have a plethora of over improvements over the original models. The S1 just doesn't compare to the improved S2.

Cheers,
Sean

Last edited:

Looking back to your reefing roots: Did you start with Instant Ocean salt?

• I started with Instant Ocean salt.

Votes: 118 76.6%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt, but I have used it at some point.

Votes: 12 7.8%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt and have not used it.

Votes: 22 14.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.3%
Back