OP
dwair

dwair

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well tank is already processing ammonia fast. Now to just keep it ghost fed until fish QT is done on Aug 12th. Chugging along!

OP
OP
dwair

dwair

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Almost 10 days into the QT, copper holding steady at 2.5, actually had added a little to much and it was at 2.65 for a few days, finally dropped to 2.5, testing it once a day and keeping track, Keeping it topped off with RODI and feeding them once a day with pellets. They are all doing fantastic.

The actual tank is chugging along, I've went through almost the entire bottle of ammonia at this point. Every few days I've been adding ammonia, tank is definitely cycled its dropped 2ppm in under 24 hours multiple times in a row. At this point I'm just using it to feed the tank to keep the bacteria growing. Been keeping the lights off for now. No point in having them on.

Once I run out of ammonia I'll probably just ghost feed like every 3 days or so until this QT is over and I can get the fish in there.

OP
OP
dwair

dwair

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thinking of ordering 20lbs of Live rock from KP Aquatics shipped in water. Kinda perfect time to do it as the fish are still in QT, so I could stick it straight in the tank and not worry bout ammonia killing fish, and then just water change the tank if needed.

OP
OP
dwair

dwair

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can’t wait to see the tank in action..,
You and me both! Though its going to be a LONG time from now unfortunetly. But I'm in no rush on this one. Rushed the last 3 and while some worked out, I'd rather see one be mature before adding coral for once to see if I avoid some of the problems i've had on the last tanks

OP
OP
dwair

dwair

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well weekly update, still waiting on QT. They finish copper treatment on Aug 12th. Keep having to add a little bit of copper power to keep it at 2.5, like once every 3 days or so.

Other news - Prepaid for some Live Rock from KP Aquatics, just waiting on him to get some in stock, hopefully this week. Figure its the best time to get the live rock while the fishes are in QT, I can put the LR directly into the tank and watch ammonia without fear of killing my little friends.

Other than that, this might be the slowest I've ever taken a build before lol. And it doesn't look like its speeding up anytime soon. Which is a good thing! The tank is getting time before getting a bioload!

OP
OP
dwair

dwair

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Had to return the Inkbird + BRS Heater was faulty. Ended up going with Finnex's New 300w w/Controller combo. Waiting on it to ship. Currently using my old eheim from my mixing station to keep the tank warm.

OP
OP
dwair

dwair

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well update, got the KP Rock in. Kinda a nightmare with UPS. Was suppsoed to be here by 10:30am, finally got ahold of them and was still loading on the truck around 1pm. Apparently it was leaking and they repackaged it. We picked it up and I got it home and seems like most of the water had leaked out. The rocks were still very wet, but you definitely got that smell of dying. Definitely some stressed Coraline. I rinised them in new saltwater that was salty potent. 1.040 to get out any hitchikers, found a starfish and a Red mythrax or emerald crab (put him in sump). Rest I stuck in the tank fast.

As I said before this is why I did this now, cause fish are still in QT, so now I can monitor die off and ammonia levels and I've got new mixed saltwater ready for water changes. I'll post pics tomorrow. Been a long day.

OP
OP
dwair

dwair

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
just stuck the rock in for now. Will work on aqua scape later.
Ammonia creeped to around .4 this morning, so went ahead and did a 25-30% water change.
AF0F4064-A852-439F-85EE-30ABACFE1282.jpeg

OP
OP
dwair

dwair

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well just placed an order with IPSF. Did the Mix n Match - Baby Bristle Worms, WonderMud, Nerite Grazers, Littorind Grazers, Reef Amphipods, Pod Flakes, Pod Mat, Sea Grapes and Live Sand Activator.
Also ordered some Live Phyto too.

We'll see how this goes.

OP
OP
dwair

dwair

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well just got off the phone with Philip from KPAquatics. He's shipping me out new rock on Tuesday seeing this didn't work out so well. We're also doing hold for pickup at the distrbution center, so Shouldn't haven't issues this time. The other rock still has some deep purple coraline, but it had alot of die off, but its definitely still live rock, so I'll have 30lbs for what I paid for 15lbs, so I'm definitely happy.

This is why I keep going back to him. Amazing customer service and very easy to talk to, and you talk directly to him, no middle man. Cuts out the bull crap. Highly recommend him!

OP
OP
dwair

dwair

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just got the new Finnex 300w Heater plus Controller installed, hopefully this works better than the BrS and InkBird combo

OP
OP
dwair

dwair

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, got the package from Indo Pacific Sea Farms in. Holy crap. Not only did everything arrive alive after 2 days of shipping, but it looked like it was thriving, they gave me like 3 extra bags of pods and those pods were HUGE, like I think some were bigger than my finger nail. Ton of Macro algae, Live sand activator, Wonder Mud, Snails, even some free BIG hermits that I wasn't expecting. Finally added everything to the tank. Made the water cloudy as hell, but I'm sure that will clear up within a day or 2, just like if you add live sand into a new tank. I just exploded my tank with bio diversity!

Second order of KP Aquatics rock was supposed to be here this morning but yet again UPS screws me over and had issues. It did finally say its here in Shreveport, so wife is going down there to see if we can get it. This was an order of rock that was a replacement for the last one. Hope I can get it today.

But tank just got ALOT of life added to it and alot more extra bacteria. Very VERY happy with IPSF. HIGHLY Recommend!!!!!

OP
OP
dwair

dwair

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got the new shipment of rock in and a lot of die off as it was delayed 24 hours, trying to control the ammonia spiking hard.

will update as I can

OP
OP
dwair

dwair

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well after the 3rd 50% water change, the ammonia level is staying up there. Don't think this rock is going to make it. Went and got some prime to dose in it too to try to help. Already talked to Philip, my shipment wasn't the only one delayed. Apparently UPS at DFW at issues.

OP
OP
dwair

dwair

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Had to add a piece of sponge above the media baskets to keep the macro algae in the fuge. Was picking pieces out of my return pump. Isn’t the best solution, but only one I could think of with the limitations of the sump.

4B646630-4391-4AC9-8A93-140DB60EBE6E.jpeg

114ABBEB-C54B-4708-B7F2-0A6F60255F51.jpeg

OP
OP
dwair

dwair

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well got some of the 8 species blend Phyto in today and Some Chaeto, both from Reefers on here. Stuck the Chaeto in the sump and the Phyto in the fridge. Got to figure out a way to measure to dose the phyto by hand. Not using a doser.
Also got my Phyto Culture kit in today from Posiedon. That tank is ...big... wasn't expecting to be so large lol. Got the culture starter kit too. Will probably set it up this weekend. Got to clear some space out for a place to set it up. They send you a nice instruction book with it as well. Looks high quality. Very interested to try this out.

OP
OP
dwair

dwair

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fuge is now full of different macro algae’s, chaeto, sea grape, sea lettuce, some type of red macro algae. The BIG pods are still in there chugging, now that I have the good phyto, going to start dosing that and hopefully they start multiplying.

DDC1AA4B-F8A8-48A4-BA33-B1379380E24D.jpeg
8F7C7019-8073-4576-AD0B-881D7C558BBE.jpeg

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 68 37.8%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 32.8%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 13.9%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 15.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back