OP
OP
midgaar

midgaar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
At Least it's on the bottom and you'll most likely never see it right???

Awesome tank!

You're a brave brave man putting more than a ton on your 2nd floor :D

So I was very worried about that. I actually went out and purchased some jack posts to place in the basement, under the tank. After filling it with tap water and looking at the beams in the basement, they seemed to support the weight with no problem. I'm still planning on reinforcing the beams but I've returned the jack posts. My basement is fully finished and I was trying to avoid putting poles in the middle of the room.

terraincognita

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I was very worried about that. I actually went out and purchased some jack posts to place in the basement, under the tank. After filling it with tap water and looking at the beams in the basement, they seemed to support the weight with no problem. I'm still planning on reinforcing the beams but I've returned the jack posts. My basement is fully finished and I was trying to avoid putting poles in the middle of the room.

Well! There you go.

Photos of it would be great for you also, there are many a reefer here's who's done exactly that, might be able to give you a few pointers of the smartest way to go about it!

AlgaeBarn

Marine Aquariums Made Easy!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Update 10-14-2020

Since the last update I have made some progress and some set backs. I was able to get all the plumbing in place and started filling with water to check for leaks. I'm glad I did this because my ATO reservoir had a small leak into the return section of the back of the tank. I went to the LFS to pick up some rock and silicone to patch the leak. I also ordered an EcoTech return pump which has since been delivered. The silicone made quick work of the leak and the tank holds water pretty well....who would have though.

IMG_0358.jpeg
IMG_0359.jpeg
IMG_0361.jpeg

I used the shipping crate the tank came in to put together my rock work. The rock work is progressing slowly. I'm using Marco Rock mortar to secure everything together.

IMG_0362.jpeg

I also ran into another small problem with the tank. I noticed a defect in the white paint on the bottom of the tank. There is an oval shape in the paint, like someone placed an object on the glass while the paint was drying. I plan on covering it with sand so it's not the end of the world, but for the premium price tag of this tank I wouldn't expect these kinds of quality control issues. I'm a little disappointed but I've reached out to @AlgaeBarn so let's see what can be done.

IMG_0360.jpeg
IMG_0363.jpeg

On a positive note, I have received my Sand, Salt, Brightwell Xport BIO Brick and bacteria. Soon as the rock work is done we will begin the cycle!! I'm hoping to have this done by the end of the week.

Hey there! Thanks for bringing this to our attention! I replied to your email and I look forward to hearing back from you there as well as here to see how things are going! I also wanted to let you know I have reached out to the manufacturer and am waiting to hear back from them that way we can better assist you, and find a resolution for you in regards to the small leak as well as the spot on the bottom of the tank. I just want to add that your build looks amazing so far and we can't wait to see what you do moving forward with this build!

AlgaeBarn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I have a few freshwater tanks, but my dream has been saltwater. So I am a saltwater noob. I had a water box on top of my tank list until I learned about CADE! This update answers so many of my initial questions. So nice it comes with a jump guard wondering how easy it is to modify if, for example, you want to add an auto feeder? Was delivery to the inside of your garage, or did you need to pay extra?

More updates and pics! - Congrats

If you have any other questions about CADE you should call and speak with one of our support representatives and they can answer all of your questions! We look forward to hearing from you!!

OP
OP
midgaar

midgaar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got a really good picture of my Frag tank today with the Icecap photo lens filter. Taken with my iPhone 11. These corals will end up in the Cade when the time is right. The green Acro near the top was pure white when I purchased it and was one of my first corals, along with the Duncan.

APC_0012.jpeg

tylr9m482

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
This build is looking awesome! I am very close to pulling the trigger on the exact same tank! I am also considering the waterbox 180.5 but leaning toward CADE. I will be following your build, and once I start my build will be making a build thread as well!

OP
OP
midgaar

midgaar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This build is looking awesome! I am very close to pulling the trigger on the exact same tank! I am also considering the waterbox 180.5 but leaning toward CADE. I will be following your build, and once I start my build will be making a build thread as well!

I think you would be happy with either. The stand from Cade is what really won me over. Can’t wait to see your build!

OP
OP
midgaar

midgaar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The stand is also what is winning me over! Very close to pulling the trigger. Just waiting to see if there are any black Friday type deals for either.
Honestly I didn't think I would use the built in power bars because I have an Apex but I'm pretty sure I will fill my Apex and most of these power slots. I really love the side access doors, it seemed like a gimmick but I use the left side all the time. Having 20 gallons of ATO in the back of the tank and not taking up sump space is also pretty nice, I've got it filled now and I'm currently counting the days that it will last. The glass seems to be just as clear as my Waterbox, I can't tell the difference anyway. The only thing I could see the Waterbox having a leg up is mounting the lights off the back of the tank. I'll let you know how that goes.

tylr9m482

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Thats awesome insight. I am considering doing a ceiling mount for lights, radions, but am also considering a mounting bar, the thinner glass of 15mm (CADE) against the 19mm (WATERBOX) seemed overkill at that but hey I'll Just mention it. I do really like the power bars with CADE. Thanks again for any insight!

tricky_tran

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Beautiful setup you got going there. I almost pulled the trigger on one of these. but then i scored a free tank from a friend, so i am going custom setup. im kind of regretting not doing it. how do you like the stand?

OP
OP
midgaar

midgaar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Beautiful setup you got going there. I almost pulled the trigger on one of these. but then i scored a free tank from a friend, so i am going custom setup. im kind of regretting not doing it. how do you like the stand?
I love the stand so far. Ask me again after routing cables and mounting equipment though.

AlgaeBarn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Few more pictures of things coming together. I’m hoping to have the rock work done tomorrow but it doesn’t look like that will be the case.
CB4ED9C3-FDEF-4D24-A4FB-4A3C6900510B.jpeg

Love the way you are hiding the cables in the wire ducting/cable raceway. I don't think Ive seen this used on a build before.

Fusion in reefing: How do you feel about grafted corals?

• I strongly prefer grafted corals and I seek them out to put in my tank.

Votes: 1 3.6%
  • I find grafted corals appealing and would be open to having them in my tank.

Votes: 20 71.4%
  • I am indifferent about grafted corals and am not enthusiastic about having them in my tank.

Votes: 6 21.4%
  • I have reservations about grafted corals and would generally avoid having them in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I have a negative perception and would avoid having grafted corals in my tank.

Votes: 1 3.6%
Back