Cade Reef 600 S2 Lighting

Lauren36

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm looking to purchase a Cade Reef 600 S2 cube tank. Tank dimensions are 600mm high and 700mm wide. I plan on having a combination of LPS and softies, with possibility of some acros towards the top of the tank after it gets established. Looking for some recommendations on lighting.

therootcause

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A tank that size you could use 2x AI primes or a single Radion to achieve your mostly softie/LPS setup with a few acros. If you have the budget supplement with a 21" AI blade, 24" 2 bulb T5, or a reefbrite strip. Plenty of options.

since you haven't purchased it yet - what is pushing you toward the CADE cube, as opposed to a Waterbox or Innovative Marine?

OP
OP
Lauren36

Lauren36

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks! I'm interested in the CADE because of the bottom weir and cabinet with built-in power management. Really like the overall design quite a bit. This will be for my office, so I'm trying to make this as low maintenance as possible and am considering going bare bottom too.

Its only Money

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have this same tank set up now 17 months with a single ai prime. Mid tank down is very low PAR, middle up for softies is ok. I’m trying to decide on a light, I really like the 360x just not sure one would have the punch. Might just go black box to buy some time.

MartinM

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love stratons (1st gen) for cube tanks. One works perfectly for that size. Aqua cave has them. All channels at 100%. It will push 250+ to the sand bed, but of course you don’t have to drive it that high.

Last edited:

d2mini

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just looked at that light, it has a bit more punch over the G6 and just a few bucks more. You mounted it vertically?
This is the 4 puck version (vs the 6 puck) so it's square.
And I'm using the GHL Flex Mount system to mount it over the tank.

Ryebreadiest

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have this same tank set up now 17 months with a single ai prime. Mid tank down is very low PAR, middle up for softies is ok. I’m trying to decide on a light, I really like the 360x just not sure one would have the punch. Might just go black box to buy some time.
Matching a black box led with a CADE tank just feels wrong. It’s arguably the most premium main stream tank you can get - don’t put the cheap gas in your Ferrari!:face-with-tears-of-joy:

Its only Money

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Stratton is well out of my range. I’m leaning towards a single 360x, 90w concerns me a bit as I don’t want to buy another light for a while. I’m also looking at the xr15ro, but after owning my 16hd I am not very good setting the spectrum or intensity. That’s why I’m leaning towards the Kissel.

OP
OP
Lauren36

Lauren36

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a Cade 500 with a Radion XR15 set at 50%. Mounts right on the back center chamber and would fit great on your 600. More than enough for LPS/softies.

Just one of many options for you.
Did you go with the Pro or Blue version?

LBCBJ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you go with the Pro or Blue version?
I went with Blue but it all comes down to your asthetic preference. I prefer the way the blues help colors pop. FWIW the retailer I bought from said 8 of 10 units they sell are blue.

For LPS/Softs you could honestly do either and adjust them to the same spectrum and still get enough PAR.

This is a helpful video comparing the two:

OP
OP
Lauren36

Lauren36

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks everyone! Right now I'm leaning towards a Radion Pro, but I'm going to wait to see what kind of Black Friday deals come out this month.

shadyraro

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks everyone! Right now I'm leaning towards a Radion Pro, but I'm going to wait to see what kind of Black Friday deals come out this month.
I had one xr15 blue light on my 600 and it was more than enough for my LPS and softie tank. IMG_7178.jpeg

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 19 14.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 9 6.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 21 15.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 76 56.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.7%
Back