Calcium - 280?

Lunger50

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is this even possible? Mag is around 1500 testing with Red Sea. Alk is about 8.5 with Salifert.

Red Sea calcium test I am using about 5.4ml of reagent before it turns...so Calcium under 300. Test does expire this month so yes it could be testing error but I ran it 3 times.

Will grab a Salifert test tomorrow and recheck.

But if in fact is does come back somewhat accurate how can I boost just my calcium with no effect on Alk or Mag?

No sump, no dosing pumps, just my ato witch pumps fresh water with some kent ALK buffer. I also sporadically dose a pinch of Biocal, but it would really bump up the ALK in order to get my Calcium up

Reefpuck

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Possible I suppose...but would wait til you retest with a new test kit. Is this a sudden drop or has it been gradually declining over a few weeks for example?

OP
OP
Lunger50

Lunger50

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure hadn't tested in a while. Some things just didn't look right so I tested PO4 and Nitrate, which came back nearly undetectable PO4 and 5-10 Nitrate. Test Alk near daily so then went to Calcium and Mag

I would guess gradual. I use AF Reef Salt.

chipmunkofdoom2

Always Making Something
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No sump, no dosing pumps, just my ato witch pumps fresh water with some kent ALK buffer.

In light of this information, yes, it's absolutely possible. Your tank is consuming calcium and carbonate alkalinity, but you're only putting back carbonate alkalinity. If you need to dose to maintain carbonate alkalinity, it's very likely you need to dose calcium as well. If you don't, it's very likely something like this will happen: normal alkalinity, very low calcium.

OP
OP
Lunger50

Lunger50

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Intersesting. Yes I see how that could be the case. Had just never been an issue before. Tank consumed ALK waaaaaay more quickly than CAL so water changes always kept it in check. Pretty sure my ALK spiked to over 12 a couple weeks back, this may have drove CAL down?

Retested today with new AF test, 240...yikes. Back to LFS tmrw for some AF Calcium Buffer

OP
OP
Lunger50

Lunger50

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Care to share a link to where I can find this recipe?

beaslbob

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Care to share a link to where I can find this recipe?
sure

it's in the chemistry forum.

here: http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2006-02/rhf/index.php

with the aid also of this calculator:

http://reef.diesyst.com/chemcalc/chem_calc3.html

to give you some gut feel.

Calcium chloride (for calcium) ~$20 for 50 pound bag.

baking soda (for alk) from grocery or drug stores.

magnesium chloride. ~$30 for 50 pound bag.

Epsom salts: grocery or drug store. (magnesium sulfate)

The difficult one is the magnesium chloride. I found some at a local industrial chemical suppler. It is also sold as ice melter in winter up north but be sure it is 100% magnesium chloride.

Calcium chloride is also an ice melter plus is used to speed hardening of concrete in winter. So is available from redimix concrete suppliers.

50 pound bags are enough to last decades. I just give it away at local club meetings.

my .02

beaslbob

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
summary:

you do a one time correction to get things aligned. say calcium 400ppm alk 10dkh, magnesium 1350ppm. (it can take pounds of supplements if magnesium is 700-800 on a 55g aquarium).

Then mix up on gallon mixtures 1 for calcium, 1 for alk, and 1 for magnesium.
When alk drops down you dose equal amounts of calcium and alk.

When the calcium and alk are used up you dose 300ml of magnesium.

And of course mix new gallons.

actually really simple especially once you done it. Kinda feels like you take more time reading and studying then actually doing. LOL

my .02

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 121 88.3%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 5.8%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 3.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.2%
Back