Calcium Dosing ErrorH

newreefer88

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all!

I recently just started dosing my tank with Seachem reef fusion 1 for calcium but was reading the directions too quickly and misdosed by tank, what should I do? The directions state: Dose aquarium every 1-2 days. Add 1 mL of reef fusion 1 per 6.5gallons of water. (the cap holds 5 mL)
So basically I used the cap as 1 mL but really dosed 20 mL in my tank, my calcium was at 380 ppm and my Alk was 9.9. I do have reef fusion 2 as well but did not want to continue to dose in fear I would stress more corals out. Planning on testing Ca and Alk in a few hours. Any help would be appreciated!

Dan_P

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all!

I recently just started dosing my tank with Seachem reef fusion 1 for calcium but was reading the directions too quickly and misdosed by tank, what should I do? The directions state: Dose aquarium every 1-2 days. Add 1 mL of reef fusion 1 per 6.5gallons of water. (the cap holds 5 mL)
So basically I used the cap as 1 mL but really dosed 20 mL in my tank, my calcium was at 380 ppm and my Alk was 9.9. I do have reef fusion 2 as well but did not want to continue to dose in fear I would stress more corals out. Planning on testing Ca and Alk in a few hours. Any help would be appreciated!
I think your plan of testing first is good. Forum members will be able to help at that point.

OP
OP
newreefer88

newreefer88

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks everyone! Just tested my calcium again and it looks like it only went up to about 460 which is quite a hike from 380 but I was expecting much higher. It did bring my Alk down to 8.6. Going to let everything settle for a few days

ELChingonsReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the opposite problem with calcium and alkalinity. My numbers have been consistent for months. I use hanna checkers for testing. Last Tuesday i tested calcium. It was 480. Alk was 8.0. I was on the last of the reagent for calcium on Tuesday. So when I tested again on Thursday I opened a new box of calcium reagent and did my test. Calcium was 540 alkalinity was at 7.5. I don't know how I got that big of a difference in that short of a time span. My solution was to shut off my 2 part doser that doses calcium to my system and add more alkalinity. I use red sea two part on a red sea doser. I haven't dosed calcium in two days. My calcium is still over 500. Alkalinity is now 8.2 was this the right thing to do or should I have done something differently? Is the new calcium reagent throwing my numbers off? Should I be worried. I've never had 540 calcium before . How does that affect sps corals?

ELChingonsReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t know if the 500+ ppm is accurate, but if it is, the plan is fine.
IMO, calcium at 400-550 ppm is fine.
No sir. 550 is not the plan. I usually keep my calcium at 450 at the highest. I don't let it rise above that if I can help it. I don't understand why it jumped from 480 on Tuesday to 550 on Thursday. But my solution was to stop dosing calcium for right now. I haven't dosed calcium since Saturday morning. It's Monday afternoon right now. My question is was this a good decision to stop dosing calcium completely? My plan is to start dosing calcium again when I get it back down to 420 natural sea water. Or as close as possible

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 7 29.2%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 9 37.5%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 4 16.7%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 4 16.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back