Calcium dropping

Susan Edwards

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My calcium is dropping. I'm dosing 69ml plus another 6 manually today. CA lines are not clogged--checked this morning. Why is it dropping? Am I really consuming this much? I do have coraline on back wall. Thinking I should remove some of it (tank is 79 inches long). any advice, suggestions or even "it's normal" welcome.

trident is a new replacement, calibrated to their fluid. Normally I calibrate to my tank when I'm sure my numbers are right.

Tank is 1 year. 240 g RS 3xl900 (approx 220 water volume)
Per trident today:
alk 8.47
ca 316 (was 322 this morning. ran another test now down)
mg 1469

Yesterdays manual tests
mg salifert: 1450/ hanna 1340
ca salifert/hanna: 351
alk hanna 8

Yesterday trident
mg 1462
ca 322
alk 8.52

Dosages:
ca 69 (up from 66) plus manual 5ml today
alk 68
mg 24

cal and alk are dosed by time--6 times per day 2 hrs apart. Mg is dosed on the 30 min mark, 24 doses split

OP
OP
Susan Edwards

Susan Edwards

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Edit: tank pic for reference
Also, did not replace the trident sample line and added their new filter to the end. Not sure if that makes any difference

20220918_104550.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
Susan Edwards

Susan Edwards

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
any ideas? Will be testing tank again today. Is my mg too low for the alk and ca? Hanna was 1340, salifert 1450. Plan to test ca and mg with both salifert and hanna and do 2 tests of alk with hanna and then calibrate the trident to those numbers.

Dosed yesterday:
ca 75
mg 30
alk 78

per trident today
ca 328
alk 8.6
mg 1461

No3 18 and po4 .03 on the 15th
Maybe I should recalibrate my red sea doser? Or maybe these numbers are in line with big tanks

OP
OP
Susan Edwards

Susan Edwards

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just read somewhere that a trident should sit for 48 hrs before being calibrated. I did a replacement trident and did not wait 48 hrs. Will do that first to see. I'm still dosing a lot though, so the question remains.

Ancient Mariner

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think your numbers and supplementation needs are in line with your reef tank. It’s amazing how much Ca/alk needs to be added especially when coralline algae and corals start taking off. That’s probably where you’re at now. For my tank (150 gallon total system, 100 gallon display tank) I used dry powder buffer and Ca to get the numbers in line first and then allowed my calcium reactor and 2 part additives to try to maintain the levels. At times I’d add 1-2 tablespoons of Calcium chloride or buffer into the sump at one time on a daily basis to get to the desired level. Once I hit that level then I tested daily with the maintenance supplement dosing. If I couldn’t maintain the desired level on a day to day basis then I up the maintenance dose and add the powder buffer or Ca to get back up to the target. Then repeat!

for my heavy SPS system I use a calcium reactor rated for 400 gallons at max (100 CO2 bubbles/min with a near steady effluent stream) PLUS 60 ml each of 2 part ESV. You’re adding a good amount but not a whole lot at this point!

OP
OP
Susan Edwards

Susan Edwards

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think your numbers and supplementation needs are in line with your reef tank. It’s amazing how much Ca/alk needs to be added especially when coralline algae and corals start taking off. That’s probably where you’re at now. For my tank (150 gallon total system, 100 gallon display tank) I used dry powder buffer and Ca to get the numbers in line first and then allowed my calcium reactor and 2 part additives to try to maintain the levels. At times I’d add 1-2 tablespoons of Calcium chloride or buffer into the sump at one time on a daily basis to get to the desired level. Once I hit that level then I tested daily with the maintenance supplement dosing. If I couldn’t maintain the desired level on a day to day basis then I up the maintenance dose and add the powder buffer or Ca to get back up to the target. Then repeat!

for my heavy SPS system I use a calcium reactor rated for 400 gallons at max (100 CO2 bubbles/min with a near steady effluent stream) PLUS 60 ml each of 2 part ESV. You’re adding a good amount but not a whole lot at this point!
thank you! It is a relief. What dry powder buffer do you use. I have reef builder for alk which I've had for years as I don't use it lol's. I use BRS for the big 3, including calcium chloride powder to mix a gallon of liquid. So I can add some of that, a tb or 2 until my ca is where it needs to be? Some of my corals are not happy with the drop in CA!

I will recalibrate and test today for sure.

Ancient Mariner

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, you can add dry CaCl2 to the tank but put it in a high flow section of your sump. I usually added it into my overflow box. 1-2 tablespoons in a tank your size isn’t a lot. But start low and go slow to get a feel of the dosing for your system. Your numbers are in a very safe range. So there is no rush!

I’ve used Seachem and 2 Little Fishes buffer products but I have no preference. Usually I’ll go with what’s cheapest.

Ancient Mariner

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m not sure the concentration of the Ca solution you made so 1-2 tablespoons of your solution might not be a large dose. 1 tablespoon of dry CaCl2 is a good dose.

OP
OP
Susan Edwards

Susan Edwards

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
that's what I am thinking, as the liquid is already diluted. I will try this. Going to order my ca from brs now as I'm out of the packages. I'll add an extra one for dry dosing (otherwise it won't have the right concentration for liquid).

Dry buffers, is that for raising alk? Might ck amazon for the calcium as brs will take a week. I can always add more of the liquid right now and watch things

OP
OP
Susan Edwards

Susan Edwards

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, there is no rush!
yes and no lol's. I'm going to my dau's wed. leaving tank with hubby who doesn't test. Just feeds and does my manual doses and I don't want to lose some of my prized acros! Plate coral very unhappy. So 3 days to get it a bit higher. Alk looking good today

Nice that my red sea dosers have an app so I can control things a bit while gone

nereefpat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So how many ppm do you believe your tank is using per day or per week?

How many dKH of alk is the tank using per day or per week?

OP
OP
Susan Edwards

Susan Edwards

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So how many ppm do you believe your tank is using per day or per week?

How many dKH of alk is the tank using per day or per week?
I've never figured that out-not sure how to! I just adjust the dosing by 3-5 ml if it drops until it is stable where I want again. I think part of my issue now is my trident wasn't working right (green light instead of orange). Hooked up the new one and calibrated I think on the 15th. But then read online that you need to wait 48 hrs before calibrating. So am doing that today and retesting.

alk and ca started dropping end of sept/beg oct.
10/1 per trident ca 456, alk 8.25
10/3 per trident ca 360, alk 7.5 Hanna agreed with the alk
10/6 per trident ca349, alk 7.48, hanna 8
10/8 per trident ca 352, alk 7.84, hanna 8
10/11 per trident ca347, alk 7.94, hanna 8.3, Salifert ca350
10/15 per trident--new trident ca 322, alk 8.82, salifert ca 351

calibrating trident now

Here is what my dosing has been
Screenshot_20221017-134110_ReefBeat.jpg
Screenshot_20221017-134125_ReefBeat.jpg

nereefpat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've never figured that out-not sure how to!
I would manually test Alk and Ca and track it over a period of time to get that figured out. Fancy controllers are nice, but they are a tool and shouldn't be completely running your tank for you.

I would manually test, then get Alk and Ca set to where you want them (7-9 dKH and 380-460 ppm Ca or so) by manual kit. Then dose your 2 part based on alk consumption. Ca and Alk parts should be dosed in equal amounts.

Some of that drop in Ca is going to be testing error. For example, the Ca drop from 456-360 over 2 days isn't chemically possible unless you had an ATO malfunction changing salinity.

OP
OP
Susan Edwards

Susan Edwards

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, I'll be testing manually as well. Normally, trident is calibrated to my tank's numbers not their fluid. After I get things stable again, I'll redo calibration. I'd guess that the 456 was wrong, as since then, the numbers have been under 350

nereefpat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd guess that the 456 was wrong, as since then, the numbers have been under 350
I agree, 456 is probably testing error and it's pretty stable in the mid 300s since then.

What 2 part recipe are you dosing? Playing with a calculator, 50 mLs of Ca part is a small amount of consumption I think?

OP
OP
Susan Edwards

Susan Edwards

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm currently using brs's 2 part alk and ca along with their magnesium. Been debating changing as the alk tends to turn to snow when dosed in both my tanks. And I dose 2 hrs apart in this tank. 6x's each, so once every 4 hrs

OP
OP
Susan Edwards

Susan Edwards

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
what other 2 part ca and alk do you all use? Is there a better alternative. I've used ESV in the past until it got hard to get

OP
OP
Susan Edwards

Susan Edwards

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
test tonight after recalibrating trident. Which is off
Hanna and salifert ca are both 350 (which is all right but want 400.) Tri: 312 which cannot be
Hanna alk 8.6 Tri 8.3 A wash
hanna mg 1550 (uh no) and salifert 1350 and tri 1461 Not going to worry about mg for now as long as it is above 1350

so tomorrow, after I test everything again, I will recalibrate trident to the tank and then test again sat. when I return home from seeing grandbabies!

Will add another 15 (45 extra liquid today) ml ca to tank. Did order some dry calcium from amazon for quick raises when needed. Might need to add that same amt tomorrow as well.

OP
OP
Susan Edwards

Susan Edwards

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got some kent turbo calcium from ama and added a couple teaspoons. Can add more tomorrow if needed. Recalibrated to my tank. Ca at 370 per salifert and hanna (had to test twice!). They were close to one another so went ball park.. Upped the dosing a bit as well.

grateful for all the advice and help here

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 39 32.8%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 23.5%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 22 18.5%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 25.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back