Calcium dropping

am3gross

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
This thread is kinda making me think... I am in the same boat as far as trying to raise calcium, however I was under the impression that it had something to do with what I thought was elevated Mag. My mag is at 1460 ish and was trying to get it down around 13-1350. The little bit I read I thought that the mag would basically react with the cal and it would not raise, however it would leave my water a touch cloudy, which it is. I do a lot of test like you, I use the salifert and the trident and use the tank water when I calibrate. My numbers between the manual test and the trident are spot on as well.

I will be interested to see where this thread goes. Just last night my mag dropped, and my cal did go up, just a bit so I will continue to monitor to see where we are headed. Good luck to you!

**** Just reread your post and I see yours is dropping, whereas mine I cannot get to come up.

Last edited:

Tidal Gardens

Coral Farm
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If your manual testing and the trident are coming up close then you can safely assume that is the real level of calcium. First, correct the calcium to what level you would want to keep it at. Then you can raise your dose to match the consumption. The more Coralline you remove the more it will then try to grow back on the glass, thus taking up calcium in the process.

OP
OP
Susan Edwards

Susan Edwards

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This thread is kinda making me think... I am in the same boat as far as trying to raise calcium, however I was under the impression that it had something to do with what I thought was elevated Mag. My mag is at 1460 ish and was trying to get it down around 13-1350. The little bit I read I thought that the mag would basically react with the cal and it would not raise, however it would leave my water a touch cloudy, which it is. I do a lot of test like you, I use the salifert and the trident and use the tank water when I calibrate. My numbers between the manual test and the trident are spot on as well.

I will be interested to see where this thread goes. Just last night my mag dropped, and my cal did go up, just a bit so I will continue to monitor to see where we are headed. Good luck to you!

**** Just reread your post and I see yours is dropping, whereas mine I cannot get to come up.
And my mag is lower than I want now, at 1381 so working on raising that back up to the 1450's.

OP
OP
Susan Edwards

Susan Edwards

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If your manual testing and the trident are coming up close then you can safely assume that is the real level of calcium. First, correct the calcium to what level you would want to keep it at. Then you can raise your dose to match the consumption. The more Coralline you remove the more it will then try to grow back on the glass, thus taking up calcium in the process.
I had to recalibrate trident to tank water so will go by that until I do anohter round of testing, using both sal and hanna. Hanna ca test is finicky, is more often much higher than salifert. Working on getting ca back into the 400's by adding dry (disolved) into tank. Be gone until Sat. so will have to just adjust doser.

Okay, so will leave coraline alone lol's. It's only on back wall.

it was just such a shocker to have my numbers, which were so stable, drop (faulty trident might be part to blame). So probably combination trident (replaced), coraline, and coral growth.

Tidal Gardens

Coral Farm
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had to recalibrate trident to tank water so will go by that until I do anohter round of testing, using both sal and hanna. Hanna ca test is finicky, is more often much higher than salifert. Working on getting ca back into the 400's by adding dry (disolved) into tank. Be gone until Sat. so will have to just adjust doser.

Okay, so will leave coraline alone lol's. It's only on back wall.

it was just such a shocker to have my numbers, which were so stable, drop (faulty trident might be part to blame). So probably combination trident (replaced), coraline, and coral growth.
We will always recommend when adjusting any parameter to test more frequently until it is steady. If it were us adjusting Calcium up like that, we would test daily till it is stable. Hope this helps. Just go slow and you should defiantly be ok.

OP
OP
Susan Edwards

Susan Edwards

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We will always recommend when adjusting any parameter to test more frequently until it is steady. If it were us adjusting Calcium up like that, we would test daily till it is stable. Hope this helps. Just go slow and you should defiantly be ok.
Exactly what I'm doing. I was gone for almost 4 days so now testing. I did increase dosing via my app while gonge. Seems to be doing okay. Improving

Ca 384 Trident, 402 hanna, 350 Salifert.
alk 8.76 tri, 8.8 hanna
Mg 1372 trident, 1380 sal, 1500 hanna.

I'm not sure why hanna ca and mg tend to test high, though this time hanna ca isn't off too bad. The mg was and I didn't feel like redoing the test.

I'm up to 105 ca dosing and around 75 alk and 60 mg. Things are better at least

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 70 86.4%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 6.2%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 3 3.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 3.7%
Back