Calcium Overdose

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

DCharbs

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, last weekend I topped off my calcium reservoir (half gallon - I don't fill with a full gallon - mostly in case something like this happens). Tonight I was checking my parameters and CA was off the chart - took a look and the reservoir was dry. I dose 2ml a day, once, in the morning. Obviously my doser needs some attention - in the mean time, do I let parameters balance out on their own (just dose my normal amount of Alk?) Alk level was 9.5, about normal for how I run my tank. Or, should I do a few water changes? Corals and fish don't appear to be complaining. Should I drop some extra Mag in the system to keep the Ca from precipitating? Starting to see signs on the sump glass of precipitation.

Scott.h

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Calcium being too high shouldn't be a big deal. That said, I'm not sure if there is a limit to that. I'd think it would precipitate out. How high is it?

OP
OP
DCharbs

DCharbs

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Off the chart. Used a Salifert test kit. Usually keep it at 400ish. This time it wouldn't even register. Specimen staid pink after an entire syringe if reagent.

BigJohnny

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, I don't know how high the test goes but regardless I have some advice.

1. Check your calcium with another test kit.

2. Test your magnesium and correct if necessary. Just make sure it's around 1300-1350 because it is harder to balance alk and calcium if not.

2. Test Alkalinity daily during correction (if you arent already). Keep in mind that overdosing calcium in relation to alkalinity drives your alkalinity down as calcium carbonate precipitates, so keep a close eye on your alk. Swings in alk are much more troublesome/risky than swings in calcium.

The good news is that high calcium is not usually a big deal and can easily be corrected with water changes or by dosing alkalinity only to drive down calcium/let it fall by itself. Water changes are a good idea if it's way off the charts. Simple as that. The most important thing is to test alk frequently and keep that as stable as possible, imo.

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 39 30.7%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 3.1%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 34 26.8%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 45 35.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.9%
Back