Calcium reactor, good with high pressure

Breadman03

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve been using an old K2R calcium reactor since the Triton drought, but just redid my filtration and the reactor is now located in my basement about 9 feet below the water surface and is leaking from both the top seal and a seal near the recirculation pump. This has me strongly considering a different reactor that can handle the pressure. The system is a 150 gallon Deep Dimension tank that is like to be mainly SPS, but will all be done around a gigas clam. As such, I’ll need to go with a decent size reactor.

I’d love an Aquarium Engineering or Dastaco, but I’m on a bit of a budget. I think something like a Geo 618 would be ideal as long as it can handle the pressure.

Does anyone have a recommendation for a reactor that can handle the pressure and potential demand? Thanks!

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
I’ve been using an old K2R calcium reactor since the Triton drought, but just redid my filtration and the reactor is now located in my basement about 9 feet below the water surface and is leaking from both the top seal and a seal near the recirculation pump. This has me strongly considering a different reactor that can handle the pressure. The system is a 150 gallon Deep Dimension tank that is like to be mainly SPS, but will all be done around a gigas clam. As such, I’ll need to go with a decent size reactor.

I’d love an Aquarium Engineering or Dastaco, but I’m on a bit of a budget. I think something like a Geo 618 would be ideal as long as it can handle the pressure.

Does anyone have a recommendation for a reactor that can handle the pressure and potential demand? Thanks!
GEO for sure and ASM

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Im in the building stage and getting acquainted with using CA reactors. Still a bit confused on connection and hook up but getting close

OP
OP
Breadman03

Breadman03

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im in the building stage and getting acquainted with using CA reactors. Still a bit confused on connection and hook up but getting close
There are two flow loops and one “dosing” input. The first loop uses a small pump to recirculate/mix water within the reactor. The second loop is the intake and effluent where a slow but stable amount of water is passed through the reactor to be enriched with minerals. The “dose” is your addition of CO2 to dissolve the media. You vary your effluent and CO2 in order to adjust reactor output.

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
MTC if you can find one on the used market. I’m in the process of rebuilding one ..... pretty much just for the heck of it.

OP
OP
Breadman03

Breadman03

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just ordered a Geo 618. An MTC seemed to be fairly cost comparable, but I didn't feel like having to order the recirculation pump separately, then presumably plumb it in. Call me lazy after redoing all of my plumbing the other week. :D I'll have to get a build thread started at some point.

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 6.5%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 4.1%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 4.1%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 99 80.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 4.9%
Back