Calcium reactor ph level

Salty_Box_Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I see many different opinions on what ph people target in their calcium reactors. For me I haven't noticed that much difference in say 6.3 and a slower effluent rate, or 7.0 and a faster effluent rate. I know at some point you can go low enough to make your media mush but prior to that is there really much difference as long as your low enough so it's desolving and it's keeping your alk/cal up?

In my mind I would think I would be better off targeting a slightly higher ph as to not drop the ph in my tank drastically.

Dr. Reef

www.drreefsquarantinedfish.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It all depends on media and you tanks requirements. Most media out there will require under 6.5 pH specially may flakes or Sep may which requires 6.3 to melt.
Also dissolving can start as high as 7.6. If 7 is working for you and keeping up the alk and cal then I wouldn't change it till needed.

Xclusive Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi I am just doing some research on these Calcium reactors and have a question or 2.. When you run a calcium reactor, are you still using a 2 part dosing and mag? should someone starting a new tank less thank 1 year old tank run a calcium reactor or 2 part dose till tank gets established 1.5-2 years later?

OP
OP
Salty_Box_Reef

Salty_Box_Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't run and don't know anyone personally who runs two part with their calrx. If it was needed I think that would be a sign that your reactor is too small.

Plenty of people run calrx on pretty much brand new tanks so when you decide to is not based off the age of the tank it's based off your alk/calcium demand.

Most people who run calrx are able to keep mag up with just routine water changes. You can add a magnesium media to the reactor and that works too but personally I found it difficult to balance. When I used the recommended amount it continuously raised my mag, I cut it in half and it still raised it so I just pulled it all out and I bump the mag level ever few months by a little with some basic brs stuff I have laying around or I just do one really large water change.

Xclusive Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't run and don't know anyone personally who runs two part with their calrx. If it was needed I think that would be a sign that your reactor is too small.

Plenty of people run calrx on pretty much brand new tanks so when you decide to is not based off the age of the tank it's based off your alk/calcium demand.

Most people who run calrx are able to keep mag up with just routine water changes. You can add a magnesium media to the reactor and that works too but personally I found it difficult to balance. When I used the recommended amount it continuously raised my mag, I cut it in half and it still raised it so I just pulled it all out and I bump the mag level ever few months by a little with some basic brs stuff I have laying around or I just do one really large water change.
so instead of dosing all i would need to do is run the CalRx ? is there anything else other than feeding tank you add?

OP
OP
Salty_Box_Reef

Salty_Box_Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nope. Not if it's done right. I'm sure at some point you might need to add some potential trace elements like iodine. That's no different for people running two part though.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I see many different opinions on what ph people target in their calcium reactors. For me I haven't noticed that much difference in say 6.3 and a slower effluent rate, or 7.0 and a faster effluent rate. I know at some point you can go low enough to make your media mush but prior to that is there really much difference as long as your low enough so it's desolving and it's keeping your alk/cal up?

In my mind I would think I would be better off targeting a slightly higher ph as to not drop the ph in my tank drastically.

Higher pH does not necessarily correspond to less impact on pH. It may be counter intuitive, but a lower pH and lower flow may have a smaller effect on pH because it may be using the CO2 added more efficiently (hence less CO2 delivered to the tank).

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 121 88.3%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 5.8%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 3.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.2%
Back