Calcium Reactor questions

Reefahholic

Acropora Farmer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you run a reactor I’d appreciate your opinions.

1. Is it better to buy a new bottle and fill it or swap out old bottles. (Hard for me to want to have old bottle in my living room)

2. How big of a bottle. (I’m thinking 10-15lbs as I’m not wanting to fill the bottles more than 2x a year.)

3. Thoughts on Ecotech Versa feed pump vs Kamora. (I did but the Kamora until the Versa gets released)

Kamora:
Min Flow Rate - 1mL per minute
Max Flow Rate - 120 mL per minute
PharMed Tubing Life - 2000 Hours

Versa:
Min dosing volume: .5ul/min
Max dosing volume: 300ml/min
Accuracy: +/- .2ml for quantities of 1ml or less, +/- 1% for quantities of 1- 300ml (2% advertised)

4. Do you tune the reactor more with your Effluent Alk or Efflunt flow?

5. Should I use a calculator to transition over from 2-part or is there a better way to transition. Currently dosing Triton Core7 diluted down to 7800 dKH.

6. Do I need to test every 6 hrs, 12 hrs, 24hrs, or 48hrs. When I transition with 2-parts I test every 6-12 hours until I get it dialed in. Overshooting the ALK consumption can STN/RTN your tank if the 2-part is strong like Core7. However, I know Calcium Reactors are much different and I’m really not sure how long the dose takes to affect the tank. I’m assuming if your lowering pH it will be much faster as opposed to adjusting the flow rate on a Kamora.?

7. Where do you set your pH set points on your Apex. How much of a deviation to peg a particular pH? If somebody can post a screen shot of their program it would be appreciated.

8. Best place to fill a bottle or swap a bottle?

Last edited:

SeaDweller

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I swap bottles, it’s just a bottle. Plus my brewery supply place I go has nice bottles so to me who cares? I’ve had ugly ones. I have a 20# cylinder that lasts me 6+ months and a back up 5#.
I tune to effluent alk and DT alk. My set up now runs 24/7, and I don’t rely on a controller or apex anymore. Alk has never been as stable as it has been for the past 6 mos.

I still test manually, every AM. And I use a cheap Sicce to feed my Geo 618.

OP
OP
Reefahholic

Reefahholic

Acropora Farmer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I swap bottles, it’s just a bottle. Plus my brewery supply place I go has nice bottles so to me who cares? I’ve had ugly ones. I have a 20# cylinder that lasts me 6+ months and a back up 5#.
I tune to effluent alk and DT alk. My set up now runs 24/7, and I don’t rely on a controller or apex anymore. Alk has never been as stable as it has been for the past 6 mos.

I still test manually, every AM. And I use a cheap Sicce to feed my Geo 618.

Jda, also told me he had (2) 20lb bottles.

I test manually to bro. Every evening close to 8pm. :)

I also ordered the Geo 618 with second chamber. Kamora and Carbondoser Electronic CO2 Regulator.

Thx for your feedback! :)

OP
OP
Reefahholic

Reefahholic

Acropora Farmer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@SeaDweller how do you have it so it runs 24/7? What is your effluent dkh?

corey

I think he’s smart running it 24/7 and that is probably better than a slow drip in the sense that a faster flow rate will hopefully avoid clogging with small chucks that are being dissolved and flushing through the lines. :)

I’m guessing his effluent dKH is lower.

biecacka

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My effluent runs at a steady drip, almost a stream. I was thinking his reactor ran 24/7. Maybe I misunderstood. I use my apex to run mine and I’ve been considering changing it up.

corey

OP
OP
Reefahholic

Reefahholic

Acropora Farmer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My effluent runs at a steady drip, almost a stream. I was thinking his reactor ran 24/7. Maybe I misunderstood. I use my apex to run mine and I’ve been considering changing it up.

corey

What do you dislike about the way it’s running now?

biecacka

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nothing really. Just like to maybe look at an option that didn’t require a ph probe. They go bad from time to time and really got to stay up on them.

corey

X-37B

Fight The Good Fight
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just set up my tunze 3171. It is running 30ml a minute since setting it up this morning. Will add co2 in the morning and adjust the bubble rate. Seems like a very simple reactor. The adjustment of the effluent is constant and simple to do. No controller. Time will tell. Will post back.

OP
OP
Reefahholic

Reefahholic

Acropora Farmer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are the CGA320 Valves ok for what we’re doing? Or is a different valve required?

I need to buy a few tanks.

Can we buy with Carry Handle or will that mess with the regulator when it comes time to put it on.

OP
OP
Reefahholic

Reefahholic

Acropora Farmer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just set up my tunze 3171. It is running 30ml a minute since setting it up this morning. Will add co2 in the morning and adjust the bubble rate. Seems like a very simple reactor. The adjustment of the effluent is constant and simple to do. No controller. Time will tell. Will post back.

Best of Luck!

OP
OP
Reefahholic

Reefahholic

Acropora Farmer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

SeaDweller

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My reactor DOES run 24/7. I tuned it this way after talking to jda. The regulator is simply plugged into the wall, last I checked my effluent alk was 20-21 dKh or something like that, as I keep my alk between 7.3-7.6. I have my effluent streaming at 125-130 ml/min and I’m injecting 85 bubbles/min. That’s what keeps my alk stable and YES it does run like that 24/7. My carbon doser does NOT shut off.

OP
OP
Reefahholic

Reefahholic

Acropora Farmer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My reactor DOES run 24/7. I tuned it this way after talking to jda. The regulator is simply plugged into the wall, last I checked my effluent alk was 20-21 dKh or something like that, as I keep my alk between 7.3-7.6. I have my effluent streaming at 125-130 ml/min and I’m injecting 85 bubbles/min. That’s what keeps my alk stable and YES it does run like that 24/7. My carbon doser does NOT shut off.

So you don’t run a Kamora. You time your effluent?

dank reefer

IG: dankreefer_IG
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will also be running my reactor like @SeaDweller as @jda recommended as well.

I had a convo with JDA, and he mentioned the same thing. But I will be running a PH probe, but will not be controlling the regulator. I plan to run it 24/7 as well.

X-37B

Fight The Good Fight
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are the CGA320 Valves ok for what we’re doing? Or is a different valve required?

I need to buy a few tanks.

Can we buy with Carry Handle or will that mess with the regulator when it comes time to put it on.
Mine has the carry handle installed. Much easier to move when needed and does not affect the regulator.
20190420_092713.jpg

biecacka

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

85 bubbles minute!, o_O o_O o_O I cant even count that fast. Haha.
but clearly it is working.

corey

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.1%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 43 35.0%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 38 30.9%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 31 25.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.8%
Back