Calcium Reactor Solenoid Switch

xcuongx

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all,

Currently I have a Geo Reef Carx Setup with Custom Dual Stage Regulator (from Alan's built), I have the reactor pH set at 6.8 to 7.0. The solenoid would switch on / off 2 times every hour or 48 cycles per day. I am just wondering if this number cycle is normal? How often or many cycles does your solenoid per day? I am just concerned the tear and wear of the electronic solenoid, and it will goes out soon. Please advise. TIA

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I use the carbon doser solenoid and it has many cycles which I understand is normal.

minus9

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Btw, my internal pH of my reactor is 7.2 and my alk is currently around 8dkh. I kind of tune my reactor a little differently then others, I'm not in the camp of running the internal pH at 6.8 to 6.5 from the start. I started around 7.3 and slowly worked my way down by adjusting the bubble count. Feed pump is running around 85mL/min (via masterflex). My CO2 is always on, never shutting off. You need to tune your reactor to your tanks consumption.

OP
OP
X

xcuongx

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It should be open 24/7, not turning off/on constantly. You'll have to set the bubble count to match your tanks alk consumption.

That is exactly what I was informed that the solenoid shall be on 24/7. However, i have tried to keep it on longer, but the solenoid would get hot from operation. Is it normal for solenoid to be on and hot? Mine is burke solenoid by the way. Thanks

minus9

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
That is exactly what I was informed that the solenoid shall be on 24/7. However, i have tried to keep it on longer, but the solenoid would get hot from operation. Is it normal for solenoid to be on and hot? Mine is burke solenoid by the way. Thanks
It should be warm, but not hot. What power supply are you using? I think I'm using a 9v or 7.5v on my Alan Le regulator.

Sisterlimonpot

Effortless Perfection
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Theres many ways to tackle it, ideally setting the bubble count and effluent flow just right to keep it on... I never chased that objective. My solenoid cycles more than twice a day. They're designed to cycle, so I wouldn't be too concerned with it cycling twice a day.

OP
OP
X

xcuongx

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It should be warm, but not hot. What power supply are you using? I think I'm using a 9v or 7.5v on my Alan Le regulator.

There is no information on the AC Adapter that connected to the Burke 6011 Solenoid I bought it on eBay. This is weird which I assume the electrical information needs to be on every adapter.

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.7%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 42 36.5%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 35 30.4%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 27 23.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.9%
Back