Calcium reactor. to count drip rate or not??

Discussion in 'Reef Chemistry by Randy Holmes-Farley' started by d_adler, Mar 6, 2018.

1. Acuario

Acuario Member

I have found with my CarbonDoser that if I lower the CO2 tank pressure too much, I don't get any bubbles through the check valve. To watch for this, disconnect the CO2 line at the Calc Reactor coming off the bottom of the CarbonDoser, and put that tube in a cup of water to see if there are bubbles coming out. I have also found regular cleaning of the check valve is important. For my system, I want to be absolutely certain I am getting bubbles through, so I use 15 lb. of CO2 pressure (which was recommended by Aquarium Plants who sell the CarbonDoser) with 1 bubble/sec to keep a pH of 7.09 and my alkalinity stays around 8.1 with 100ml/min flow--that's just my system. One other thing, I put a Dwyer inline flow meter to measure the effluent rate. Maybe every fourth or fifth day, my effluent rate drops below the 100ml/minute mark. It's an easy way to watch for that.

2. boozeman27

boozeman27 Active Member R2R Supporter Partner Member 2019

Got a link to this Dwyer flow meter?

3. Acuario

Acuario Member

boozeman27 likes this.
  4. lcatoni1

lcatoni1 Member

I use the no drip method just steady flow with the carbon doser. I'e had for 2 months now after a week of tuning every couple days my stuff is on point. Calcium at 420 and alk 8.68 all steady for 2 month no dosing at all. Bottom line in this hobby is stability and it all works out we are chemist here.

20180127_193439.jpg

hybridazn, d_adler and boozeman27 like this.
  5. hybridazn

hybridazn Acro killer..... Staff Member Team R2R R2R Supporter Photo of the Month Award R2R Excellence Award 3RMAS Member Partner Member 2019 R2R Secret Santa Showcase Editor Build Thread Contributor

Same here, I use a steady stream. CaRX are so much easier run and dial in this way.

boozeman27 and GoVols like this.
  6. boozeman27

boozeman27 Active Member R2R Supporter Partner Member 2019

What size tubing does the flow meter use? I see you feed your 1/4” tubing into it. I just ordered one so any other info you can provide would be great. I love the idea of a visual indicator vs. measuring with a beaker. Thanks!

7. Acuario

Acuario Member

As I recall there were several options for how to connect the meter and I think it will come with a couple of different fittings and instructions. I just used the 1/4-inch tubing because it seemed simple enough and it slipped on just fine. I figured it's such low pressure, that there wouldn't be any issue with leaks or the tubing coming back off even without clamps. It's worked fine that way for me for maybe six months or more now.
    Also, the meter flows from the bottom up, so In on the bottom, Out on the top. I hope it works for you!

8. Acuario

Acuario Member

Here's the Dwyer spec: 5/16" OD for push on rubber or plastic tubing with provided spring tubing clamp. Connect to rigid tubing with double compression fitting.

9. Velcro

Velcro Valuable Member

I'm currently using the steady stream method and it does work great for me. My only issue is that it seems that I have to tweak the flow about every week as it does slow down slightly. Using a precision needle wheel and an mj1200.

I have a spare avast peristaltic pump rated for continuous duty (25 ml/min). Do you guys think this could work as well and be more reliable if I simply remove the needle valve and run this pump full on? Seems like it could be more consistent. I'd obviously have to retune pH for the change in flow.

10. chevythang92

chevythang92 Member

Anybody have any experience using Tom's aqua lifter with a calrx. I'm going to try the steady stream with a Toms

Draft saved Draft deleted