Calcium reactor. to count drip rate or not??

Velcro

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just switched to this method. Been trying to tune my mj1200 fed reactor for a week an drip rate was just going between 40-60 drops a minute with no adjustment to the needle valve. Hopefully this works better for me or I may need to look into a variable speed peristaltic pump.

Mike220

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For me I set drop 40 ml per minute and 2 to 3 bubble per seconds .

bigboy7828

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use this method also. 80ml per minute on the effluent. Not sure on my bubbles. I adjust my ph in my reactor to control my dkh. Has worked good for me now for over a year. In my opinion it’s the easiest way to run a cal reactor.

OP
OP
d_adler

d_adler

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How fast is your effluent?

I don’t know how fast it is as of now. I’m gonna get a measuring cup to measure this weekend. What I do know is it takes about 10 minutes to go from 7.4-7.5 which is my set points. The Regulator is cycling about 6 times an hour.
a09b4ec83bae69eb1c1737a7892dd3c0.jpg

OP
OP
d_adler

d_adler

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use this method also. 80ml per minute on the effluent. Not sure on my bubbles. I adjust my ph in my reactor to control my dkh. Has worked good for me now for over a year. In my opinion it’s the easiest way to run a cal reactor.

Is 80ml enough to make a steady stream?

cnmcalpi

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Randy,

Could you build a c02 degasser with a small container that you run the CaRx effluent into and drive off c02 with an airstone? Maybe a gallon or so, and allow this effluent to overflow into the tank?

Caravanshaka

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would suggest lowering the bubble size by reducing the pressure going into the solenoid. I'm at 5 PSI for bubble size, a bubble every 8-9 seconds with 20 mL per minute effluent rate (masterflex peristaltic pump) and my reactor stays a stead 7.0 pH.

Another tip to help with the reduction of cO2 getting into the tank is to have your effluent return back to your refugium. The algae in the refugium will like getting a little more cO2 and will help purge it from the system.

cumbeje

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't count drip rate. It is much easier to use a graduated cylinder and measure effluent over a specific period of time. For example I use 2o mls of effluent in 10 seconds. Much more stable to do this way.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Randy,

Could you build a c02 degasser with a small container that you run the CaRx effluent into and drive off c02 with an airstone? Maybe a gallon or so, and allow this effluent to overflow into the tank?

Yes, some folks do that and it is useful. :)

Just have to make sure the rising pH in the high alk solution does not cause precipitation, reversing the whole reactor process. :)

Mike220

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t know how fast it is as of now. I’m gonna get a measuring cup to measure this weekend. What I do know is it takes about 10 minutes to go from 7.4-7.5 which is my set points. The Regulator is cycling about 6 times an hour.
a09b4ec83bae69eb1c1737a7892dd3c0.jpg
You need to set PH 6.6 is on and 6.5 is off.

cnmcalpi

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, some folks do that and it is useful. :)

Just have to make sure the rising pH in the high alk solution does not cause precipitation, reversing the whole reactor process. :)

So basically, you'd have to control the "dwell time" of the solution being aerated, as to not push the ph so far as to precipitate the supersaturated solution? This could be done either by controlling the air injection rate or the size of the container, I suppose.

Caravanshaka

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You need to set PH 6.6 is on and 6.5 is off.

Please don't tell someone to reduce their pH in their reactor by 1.0 like it is a fact. A change like that to his system is a likely to cause a tank crash. The OP clearly stated he wants to use the method of a steady stream of effluent and adjust the reactor by adjusting the pH. With a steady stream of effluent and 6.5 to 6.6 pH, he will melt that media so fast his alk will be climbing by the minute.

While you may be running 40mL per minute at a reactor pH of 6.5, that doesn't mean he should be. 40 mL per minute isn't what I would consider a steady stream, as most that are running their reactors by pH tend to be running 80-100mL per minute.

Starting out with a calcium reactor, this approach is a bit easier as they only have to adjust one of the variables to adjust their results. starting out at a high pH is definitely good, as you can always buffer with 2-part to raise your numbers if your reactor didn't put enough in that day at the conservative pH. Add your 2-part to get back to steady numbers, and lower your pH a bit and test again the next day until you find the pH that keeps up with your tanks output. It may not be the most efficient use of cO2, but it works.

His question was related to how to get his cO2 delivery setup to handle the 7.4pH he is attempting to use. The answer he is looking for is to drop the pressure at the solenoid down to 3-4psi. This should get him in the range of a bubble every 5-10 seconds and keeping that high of a pH.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So basically, you'd have to control the "dwell time" of the solution being aerated, as to not push the ph so far as to precipitate the supersaturated solution? This could be done either by controlling the air injection rate or the size of the container, I suppose.

Yes, trial and error will be the only way to know what works and what might be too much degassing.

OP
OP
d_adler

d_adler

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Please don't tell someone to reduce their pH in their reactor by 1.0 like it is a fact. A change like that to his system is a likely to cause a tank crash. The OP clearly stated he wants to use the method of a steady stream of effluent and adjust the reactor by adjusting the pH. With a steady stream of effluent and 6.5 to 6.6 pH, he will melt that media so fast his alk will be climbing by the minute.

While you may be running 40mL per minute at a reactor pH of 6.5, that doesn't mean he should be. 40 mL per minute isn't what I would consider a steady stream, as most that are running their reactors by pH tend to be running 80-100mL per minute.

Starting out with a calcium reactor, this approach is a bit easier as they only have to adjust one of the variables to adjust their results. starting out at a high pH is definitely good, as you can always buffer with 2-part to raise your numbers if your reactor didn't put enough in that day at the conservative pH. Add your 2-part to get back to steady numbers, and lower your pH a bit and test again the next day until you find the pH that keeps up with your tanks output. It may not be the most efficient use of cO2, but it works.

His question was related to how to get his cO2 delivery setup to handle the 7.4pH he is attempting to use. The answer he is looking for is to drop the pressure at the solenoid down to 3-4psi. This should get him in the range of a bubble every 5-10 seconds and keeping that high of a pH.

Wow. *slow clap*

Perfect answer. So it is ok to run a solenoid at 2-4psi.. I wasn’t aware they could run At such a low psi. I’m getting a graduated cylinder to measure my output this weekend.

I understand that there are diehards that will say 6.5-6.7 is where you have to run a calcium reactor but that wouldn’t work for me. I don’t have such a high demand for alkalinity yet, I’m running the reactor off a manifold (potential for inconsistency in pressure), and I’m using an alternative method not the original method based off of drip count. I’d rather start at a high ph zone and gradually lower that “zone” based on the alkalinity of the tank. If my alkalinity lowers I can always raise it with a water change or by dosing 2 part until I dial in my calcium reactor. What I don’t want is my alkalinity to spike because I lower my ph to quickly.

I appreciate your input.

Caravanshaka

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That PH do nothing on calcium reactor.
It may not, but pH below 7.5 can slowly start to dissolve media. Even if it isn't working yet, it is safer to start at 7.4 and work slowly down than it is to jump to 6.5 with 80-100mL per minute effluent and crash your tank. You can't give 1 liner advice to someone new to something because they may take it as gospel and do it without thinking about the repercussions. If you want to suggest 6.5 in his situation, you must explain why and what you think it will be doing. At 6.5 pH with a tank new to a calcium reactor and likely not using up much alkalinity, the effluent rate would need to be in the 5-10ml range which defeats the whole point of his original post of wanting to run the effluent open and adjust the reactor via pH.

OP, you are starting in a decent spot. Personally, I would drop the pH a tad and maybe do 7.2 to 7.3 to start with. There is a slight chance you overshoot your numbers with 80mL effluent at that range, but it is a very slight chance and most likely you will need to come down into the 7-7.2 range before seeing results.

Caravanshaka

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow. *slow clap*

Perfect answer. So it is ok to run a solenoid at 2-4psi.. I wasn’t aware they could run At such a low psi. I’m getting a graduated cylinder to measure my output this weekend.

I understand that there are diehards that will say 6.5-6.7 is where you have to run a calcium reactor but that wouldn’t work for me. I don’t have such a high demand for alkalinity yet, I’m running the reactor off a manifold (potential for inconsistency in pressure), and I’m using an alternative method not the original method based off of drip count. I’d rather start at a high ph zone and gradually lower that “zone” based on the alkalinity of the tank. If my alkalinity lowers I can always raise it with a water change or by dosing 2 part until I dial in my calcium reactor. What I don’t want is my alkalinity to spike because I lower my ph to quickly.

I appreciate your input.

I was replying to Mike and hadn't read this yet. I'm glad you have a good understanding of your goals. I run my pressure at 5psi, and don't see a problem with going a little lower. I probably wouldn't go any lower than 3, but 3-4 range should be just fine.

Looking back to your reefing roots: Did you start with Instant Ocean salt?

• I started with Instant Ocean salt.

Votes: 185 72.8%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt, but I have used it at some point.

Votes: 17 6.7%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt and have not used it.

Votes: 46 18.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.4%
Back