Calcium RISING ??

radreef02

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Afternoon , having issues with calcium rising and not sure the source.

RODI source is sometimes 2-3TDS sometimes 5.

I dose code A & code B in my tank from Brightwell but I STOPPED CODE A for calcium when I saw calcium rising.

so here is a short log of my past testing.

12/28
Calcium 424 ( 15ml/day code B)
Alk 125 ( code B to 15ml / day and dosed extra 5mL to bump) - I had a drop from consistent 160alk as my dosing schedule never got turned on for a few days

12/29
Alk 140 (dosing 15ml / day)

12/30
Ph 8.4
34ppt salt
Alk 150 (15ml / day )
Calcium 460 (15ml / day to 0ml to avoid spike)

12/31
Alk 153 (15ml /day to 12ml)
DOSING 0ml calcium

1/1
Alk 162 (12ml/day to 8mL)
Calcium 488 (DOSING 0ml calcium )

1/2
Alk 162 (8mL/day)
DOSING 0ml calcium

1/4
Alk 163 (8mL/day)
Calcium 538 (0ml/day)

460 to 488 to 538 and no dosing ???
Using Hanna calcium checker

Got my Alkalinity in check but calcium is going wack. Salinity is stable and I’m sure as well because my alk stays constant

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m going to guess your magnesium is the culprit in your quest for parameter stabilization and balance.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Afternoon , having issues with calcium rising and not sure the source.

RODI source is sometimes 2-3TDS sometimes 5.

I dose code A & code B in my tank from Brightwell but I STOPPED CODE A for calcium when I saw calcium rising.

so here is a short log of my past testing.

12/28
Calcium 424 ( 15ml/day code B)
Alk 125 ( code B to 15ml / day and dosed extra 5mL to bump) - I had a drop from consistent 160alk as my dosing schedule never got turned on for a few days

12/29
Alk 140 (dosing 15ml / day)

12/30
Ph 8.4
34ppt salt
Alk 150 (15ml / day )
Calcium 460 (15ml / day to 0ml to avoid spike)

12/31
Alk 153 (15ml /day to 12ml)
DOSING 0ml calcium

1/1
Alk 162 (12ml/day to 8mL)
Calcium 488 (DOSING 0ml calcium )

1/2
Alk 162 (8mL/day)
DOSING 0ml calcium

1/4
Alk 163 (8mL/day)
Calcium 538 (0ml/day)

460 to 488 to 538 and no dosing ???
Using Hanna calcium checker

Got my Alkalinity in check but calcium is going wack. Salinity is stable and I’m sure as well because my alk stays constant
Mag should not have as much impact as calcium/alk balance. If you notice, your alk is slowly rising. Alk and CA are closely linked with each other and often when calcium increases, alk becomes low due to increased CA producing the precipitation of calcium carbonate. While calcium is essential, high numbers are not but you want to stop adding CA and alk for now and allow that balance and consumption. If you are changing water, assure your salt mix is not high in alk or calcium.
What test kits are you using ?
I would suggest taking a water sample to a trusted LFS that does NOT use API testing and see what readings they come up with for CA-Alk-PH-Phosphates.

OP
OP
radreef02

radreef02

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mag should not have as much impact as calcium/alk balance. If you notice, your alk is slowly rising. Alk and CA are closely linked with each other and often when calcium increases, alk becomes low due to increased CA producing the precipitation of calcium carbonate. While calcium is essential, high numbers are not but you want to stop adding CA and alk for now and allow that balance and consumption. If you are changing water, assure your salt mix is not high in alk or calcium.
What test kits are you using ?
I would suggest taking a water sample to a trusted LFS that does NOT use API testing and see what readings they come up with for CA-Alk-PH-Phosphates.

Alk was rising between each test as 15ml a day was to raise alk. I found 8mL kept it stable once I was back at 8.5-9dkh alkalinity.

Calcium has been raising without dosing any code A. Alk has been stable and calcium goes up.

All those tests are by Hanna checkers with good exp dates

There is SPS growing in the tank each week there’s noticeable growth. So there is consumption. Does code B rise the calcium as well? I’m only dosing code B. Code A rises my calcium specifically

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Alk was rising between each test as 15ml a day was to raise alk. I found 8mL kept it stable once I was back at 8.5-9dkh alkalinity.

Calcium has been raising without dosing any code A. Alk has been stable and calcium goes up.

All those tests are by Hanna checkers with good exp dates
I would cease additions for at least a week and check your salt mix

OP
OP
radreef02

radreef02

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would cease additions for at least a week and check your salt mix

No salt has been added / any water changes been done in between this random calcium spike.

I’ll try stopping the code B and see if that has any effect.

Would a water change be helpful? If so is 20% fine

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
No salt has been added / any water changes been done in between this random calcium spike.

I’ll try stopping the code B and see if that has any effect.

Would a water change be helpful? If so is 20% fine
Yes it would help

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Would stopping my alkalinity dosing and having it possibly lower pose an issues of my calcium going up even further?
Its one you will have to monitor as it will be based on consumption

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unless you are adding calcium in a way you do not know (like you are using the wrong part of the two part, top off water, etc.) then the calcium rise is test error. There is no in tank chemistry issue that is causing it to rise as you see.

The Hanna calcium checker is is very prone to tiny traces of calcium in the blank causing issues. Are you using distilled water for it?

How are you measuring salinity?

OP
OP
radreef02

radreef02

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unless you are adding calcium in a way you do not know (like you are using the wrong part of the two part, top off water, etc.) then the calcium rise is test error. There is no in tank chemistry issue that is causing it to rise as you see.

The Hanna calcium checker is is very prone to tiny traces of calcium in the blank causing issues. Are you using distilled water for it?

How are you measuring salinity?

First off, thank you for replying,

I’m believing it’s a test error at this point. I use my RODI water when testing. My salinity checker is refractometer and Hanna salinity checker. It’s brand new.

I have not refilled the alkalinity bottle with anything for months so I’m not sure how I would have added the wrong part. I will double check when I get home.

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 73 51.4%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 73 51.4%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 36 25.4%
  • None.

Votes: 31 21.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.3%
Back