Calcium too hight with calcium reactor

ReefZKD

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Guys!!

I have an Aquamaxx calcium reactor with a Kamoer Peristaltic pump and PH controller.

the problem is that I want to decrease the calcium (Im having 560 (salifert kit Low resolution mode, Is not possible to read with the High resolution mode because is off the scale) I would like something around 420-450 Ca and around 1350 Mg.

So What should I do? increase the affluent and reduce the CO2 so the Alkalinity keeps stable (Around 8 dhk)

My Parameters

dkh 8 (Hanna)
Mg 1425 (salifert)
CA 560 (salifert)
Phosphate .03 (Hanna)
Nitrate 5 (Salifert)

Regards
Richard.

Shirak

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well if your alk is stable with current settings, messing with the reactor CO2 and reducing it will cause your tank alk to drop because you will reduce the alk going into the tank. Are you seeing negative effects? I probably wouldn't worry about it if everything looked fine. I have a very light demand tank and the CaRx keeps my alk around 9 with calcium stable around 525 and mag around 1385. Everything looks good which I attribute to the stability.

OP
OP
R

ReefZKD

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well if your alk is stable with current settings, messing with the reactor CO2 and reducing it will cause your tank alk to drop because you will reduce the alk going into the tank. Are you seeing negative effects? I probably wouldn't worry about it if everything looked fine. I have a very light demand tank and the CaRx keeps my alk around 9 with calcium stable around 525 and mag around 1385. Everything looks good which I attribute to the stability.

The only thing is I dont see coral growth. But They look fine.

Shirak

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What kind of corals do you have and how long have they been in your system? I doubt high Ca around 550 would inhibit coral growth if everything else is fine. Your other parameters appear to be in a good range.

Shirak

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just on a side note, if you were to increase effluent without changing the CO2 you would increase reactor pH which would decrease Alk output. However, you would be adding more volume of effluent at a lower alk level so the net effect is no significant change in the tank.

OP
OP
R

ReefZKD

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What kind of corals do you have and how long have they been in your system? I doubt high Ca around 550 would inhibit coral growth if everything else is fine. Your other parameters appear to be in a good range.
Sps dominant tank I used to dose 2 part with dosing pumps, but 2 months ago I switched to calcium reactor

Shirak

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you tried a different Ca test kit or had a LFS run a test? I wonder if it's really that high? Have you checked salinity with a freshly calibrated tester? Sometimes high elements could be from higher salinity if a tester if off.

OP
OP
R

ReefZKD

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you tried a different Ca test kit or had a LFS run a test? I wonder if it's really that high? Have you checked salinity with a freshly calibrated tester? Sometimes high elements could be from higher salinity if a tester if oi just

I will go to my LFS with a samlple so they can test it.

Thanks

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
560 ppm calcium is not a prioblem, but to lower it, you have two options (assuming it is accurate):

1. Back off on (or entirely turn off) the reactor CO2 addition and use sodium carbonate or sodium bicarbonate for part or all of the alkalinity additions while the calcium declines

or

2. Do water changes with a lower calcium mix. Those could be your regular changes, or accelerated ones.

OP
OP
R

ReefZKD

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
560 ppm calcium is not a prioblem, but to lower it, you have two options (assuming it is accurate):

1. Back off on (or entirely turn off) the reactor CO2 addition and use sodium carbonate or sodium bicarbonate for part or all of the alkalinity additions while the calcium declines

or

2. Do water changes with a lower calcium mix. Those could be your regular changes, or accelerated ones.

Thanks Randy!!!

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 36 53.7%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 37 55.2%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 15 22.4%
  • None.

Votes: 15 22.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 9.0%
Back