Calcium wont drop!

Reefbuds

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My calcium levels jumped very high (600+) after dosing about 6-8 weeks ago. I havnt dosed since of course. I have watched it very very slowly drop over the weeks since, even performing small water changes with lower salinity salt. It has managed to make its way down to the 530-540 range but has not dropped any further in probably 2 weeks. Im puzzled as to what could be causing this. I keep alk stable at around 7-8. Its a mixed reef that required calcium dosing every day to keep calc up, I dosed to much over the course of a week and have since had the issue with it not dropping. Are water changes going to be the only way to get my calc down or is something else at play here? I figure the calc would drop slowly as it is consumed but it's still not budging. Any help would be greatly appreciated as I've been dealing with this for weeks now! Thanks!

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any poor reactions from the reef critters as a result of the elevated Ca? I would just be careful to keep Alk stable going forward and not fret about the number if there isn't any stress manifesting in the tank.

OP
OP
Reefbuds

Reefbuds

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There was a bit of stress for about a week after this happened on my birdsnest and digi. Lost a lot of color. They have both since recovered great and are growing again. Nothing is showing signs at this point so I have largely ignored it, altho I would still like to get it down at some point. Just curious that it has not dropped even tho corals are growing are growing.

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They encorporate ALk faster than Ca, I don't remember why but keep your eye on the alk! :)

ZoWhat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How big is your tank?

IMO, Dear Lord, just do a 50% waterchange

I have 220ish gal total water volume and I dint blink an eye doing a 100g water change if smthg is messed up.

I've done that like 3-4 times in 2021

OP
OP
Reefbuds

Reefbuds

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've wanted to do a larger water changes but I've been having a lot of issues with nitrates and phosphates bottoming out without water changes. 29g tank. Been trying to just wait it out

OP
OP
Reefbuds

Reefbuds

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Top off fresh water, seachem reef fusion2 for alkalinity and live phyto are the things I dose daily or bi-daily. Amino acids recently and reef roids once or twice a week recently as well. I also dose microbacter 7 and fritz nitrifying bacteria.

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.6%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 42 36.2%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 35 30.2%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 28 24.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.9%
Back