Calicum Reactor Question

Alabamareef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I’ve had this reactor up and running for about 7 months. Everything seemed to be doing well and then my Alk and Ca in the tank started dropping. After a little review I guessed the media in the reactor has lost its usefulness and I change out 100% of the media. Now my Alk had reached a low of 6.1 and my Ca around 420. I’ve been trying to get my levels back to normal for my tank, Alk 8.3 and Ca 450. I increased the effluent drops per min and lowered my pH inside the reactor. But it seems like my levels continue to drop. Now I’ve got my pH inside the reactor around 6.5 and the effluent drops per minute, well to many to count.

So I’m thinking my levels got below normal because the media lost it’s usefulness. Then I replaced it with new media. I’m thinking the new media has to have time to kick in. And I’m thinking I need to use 2 part to get my levels back into range. I used 2 part before My Ca react so I have all my dosing formulas still on hand.
So am I on the right track?

Last edited:

AZDesertRat

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think your drops per minute is your problem. When you increase the drop count you do not allow the pH in the reactor time to dissolve the media. Read the set up directions found here and especially pay attention to Dialing In section where it talks about increasing the bubble rate, not increasing the drop count.

Geo's Reef - Calcium Reactors

OP
OP
Alabamareef

Alabamareef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Guess my understanding was wrong. I'm thinking what you talk about with contact time. In the directions it says If you want to increase the Alk and Ca to increase your drops mere min and lower your ph. But it seems if my drops per min are to rapid my effluent dKH drops.

OP
OP
Alabamareef

Alabamareef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And checked my effluent dKH and it's 32. Using a salifert kit I use 1ml of effluent and 1 drop of reagent and multiply my result by 4.

OP
OP
Alabamareef

Alabamareef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thx AZDesertRat, that does help to clarify some things. I've dialed back the effluent drops per min and I'll check it tomorrow. In the mean time I'm using 2 part to help get my system back to the normal rang.

Back