Calling all Wisco Reefers

JayRozzer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Was it that place in Madison called Alpha Aquaculture? I've checked out his facebook page and can't tell if they're a storefront or not. Seems like he just really likes breeding clowns lol
No. I spoke with them and they won’t sell to the public. They do sell clowns to Animart in Madison.
There’s a guy named Brian over by Oconomowoc who breeds some very nice clowns.

WIReefer

608 MOD SQUAD
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just wanted to give a little update! We have found a house and everything has seemed to be going some what smooth. If everything stays on track are closing date will be January 8th. Here a pic of the house and there is a sweet spot in the dining room/living room where our new tank will be going. Also I am lucky that the wife is letting me have the entire basement for fish room! Can’t wait to make it my own.

Attachments

• BDFD96FD-C6EE-4FBA-B9DF-3FD9B2AF4BC8.jpeg
    BDFD96FD-C6EE-4FBA-B9DF-3FD9B2AF4BC8.jpeg
    105.9 KB · Views: 71
  • E66D05E2-D27A-4189-B7F2-0EF4CE1AE3B5.jpeg
    E66D05E2-D27A-4189-B7F2-0EF4CE1AE3B5.jpeg
    200.3 KB · Views: 60
  • DA897276-596C-4B19-A88B-6C71BDFD665C.jpeg
    DA897276-596C-4B19-A88B-6C71BDFD665C.jpeg
    213.1 KB · Views: 52

WIReefer

608 MOD SQUAD
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That basement looks great. Will be a cinch to finish if you want to.
That’s what I was thinking, going to be super easy to run overflow and return lines threw floors as well. Also very easy access to water line. It’s almost perfect for a fish room!

JayRozzer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What's everyone using for their return pump? I'm having issues with my varioS-4 but LOVE how quiet it is.

cwerner

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just use a rebranded Jebao DC pump. Been flawless so far for ~8 months. I have a backup just in case it goes out, but I can buy 3 of these things before I approach the price bracket of the more expensive pumps.

JayRozzer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just use a rebranded Jebao DC pump. Been flawless so far for ~8 months. I have a backup just in case it goes out, but I can buy 3 of these things before I approach the price bracket of the more expensive pumps.
Yea. I’m thinking about giving one a try. Bunch of mixed reviews but for the price might as well try it out.

gem.nut85

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My names Ben and I'm just getting back into the hobby after my ex left and I was super broke for several years. I have my 46 bow and used to run canister style and had clowns who spawned and several other reef stuff but was just getting into new lights when the fish aged out at 12yrs old and i shut it down. So much has advanced and I now know exactly what I want to setup and have the tank I really wanted. A 65G 36X18X24 it's basically a 40G breeder that's taller.

It's perfect for where I want to set it up in my dining room. I realized I can just set up my rodi and water return through my floor below in my laundry room. I will have a side access sump underneath Ideally the Triton sapphire 26-V2 is a perfect fit. It's a harder to find stand and I may build my own with the design from a few others but recently found some stands that will work. First step is figuring out how to set up everything for the rodi with the tubs and I really need someone who's done the plumbing setups before for rodi and framework. I have no clue lol. While I a mass funding I am looking for a smaller cube now I can just get water for. I have a very deep well and I needs silacates so my choice was spectrapure CSPDI 2:1 or the new |IceCAP smart rodi unit. In the future an autodosing unit of some kind but after the framework in the basement is really. So many options and I used to dose myself by hand weekly lol.

My tank build will be for mixed reef and corals.

OP
OP
Weasel1960

Weasel1960

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My names Ben and I'm just getting back into the hobby after my ex left and I was super broke for several years. I have my 46 bow and used to run canister style and had clowns who spawned and several other reef stuff but was just getting into new lights when the fish aged out at 12yrs old and i shut it down. So much has advanced and I now know exactly what I want to setup and have the tank I really wanted. A 65G 36X18X24 it's basically a 40G breeder that's taller.

It's perfect for where I want to set it up in my dining room. I realized I can just set up my rodi and water return through my floor below in my laundry room. I will have a side access sump underneath Ideally the Triton sapphire 26-V2 is a perfect fit. It's a harder to find stand and I may build my own with the design from a few others but recently found some stands that will work. First step is figuring out how to set up everything for the rodi with the tubs and I really need someone who's done the plumbing setups before for rodi and framework. I have no clue lol. While I a mass funding I am looking for a smaller cube now I can just get water for. I have a very deep well and I needs silacates so my choice was spectrapure CSPDI 2:1 or the new |IceCAP smart rodi unit. In the future an autodosing unit of some kind but after the framework in the basement is really. So many options and I used to dose myself by hand weekly lol.

My tank build will be for mixed reef and corals.
Welcome to R2R and to the 608 Reefers. Where are you located at?

This forum is very well organized and I would suggest doing stand and plumbing searches in the DIY forum. There is also a recent thread on RODI units.

You may also want to go to the Bulk Reef Supply (BRS) web site. Very popular place for buying equipment and they have a ton of really cool videos.

Have a Happy Holiday season and look forward to seeing more about your build.

Jon's Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
If you want to spend less, I would go with an AC Sicce.
If you can spend a bit more go with a DC COR or VECTRA. They are almost identical in design. COR is better if you have APEX, VECTRA if you have any Ecotech or AI stuff.

Currently running a COR with APEX and a flow sensor to dial in the flow rate.

OP
OP
Weasel1960

Weasel1960

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone,

New member of the 608 Reefers checking in. My name is CJ and I live in the Beaver Dam area and work in IT/Support in Hartford. I'm a new reefer and have setup my first tank. A 75 gallon Marineland that I drilled and plumbed myself. I just got new LED light fixtures for it. I'm at the tail end of the 'Ugly phase' hopefully, and just introduced some softies a couple weeks ago. I plan on a mixed reef with hopefully some low light SPS in the upper portions of the reef if my new lights provide enough PAR.

Here's my fish list:
2x Oscellaris Clows (Marlin and Nemo of course)
1x FireFish Goby (Silly Gum)
1x Tomini Bristletooth Tang (Dory)
1x Orange Spotted Blenny (Crackly)
1x Azure Damselfish (Bluey)

(My 3 year old names all the fish)

Corals so far:
I got the Begineer frag pack from LiveAquaria, I have 5 frag LPS combo pack coming from WWC later this week:

1x Pom Pom Xenia
1x Kenya Tree
1x Blue Cespitularia
1x Neon PineApple Tree
Hi CJ sorry for the late reply somehow the notifications for this thread got turned off....welcome to the group.

OP
OP
Weasel1960

Weasel1960

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alright. Got my first two fish in. Picked up a pair of clowns from a guy who breeds them locally. Now I need to track down some chaeto.
Where did you get the clowns from? Was it over by Pflaum and Agriculture Dr?

OP
OP
Weasel1960

Weasel1960

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Was it that place in Madison called Alpha Aquaculture? I've checked out his facebook page and can't tell if they're a storefront or not. Seems like he just really likes breeding clowns lol
I have been to that place. Door was locked but you could tell there were tanks in the back shop...hope he is still in business.

OP
OP
Weasel1960

Weasel1960

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just wanted to give a little update! We have found a house and everything has seemed to be going some what smooth. If everything stays on track are closing date will be January 8th. Here a pic of the house and there is a sweet spot in the dining room/living room where our new tank will be going. Also I am lucky that the wife is letting me have the entire basement for fish room! Can’t wait to make it my own.
Hey Alex, sorry didn’t see this right away, that’s great. Keep holding that happy thought. My “work shop” got turned into holiday decoration and grandkid storage with an area for wife and daughter crafting stuff. Work shop now in corner of garage. Best get that man cave staked out proper before there’s a boundary dispute LOL.

OP
OP
Weasel1960

Weasel1960

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have heard good things about a lot of the Jebao products and am thinking along those lines when I do my build. Are you satisfied with performance? Are they quiet?

WIReefer

608 MOD SQUAD
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Alex, sorry didn’t see this right away, that’s great. Keep holding that happy thought. My “work shop” got turned into holiday decoration and grandkid storage with an area for wife and daughter crafting stuff. Work shop now in corner of garage. Best get that man cave staked out proper before there’s a boundary dispute LOL.
No worries! Haha I will have to remember that! My frag system will be moved in immediately and setup so there’s no turning back lol

Last edited:

AceAquatics

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been to that place. Door was locked but you could tell there were tanks in the back shop...hope he is still in business.
I’ve bought multiple clownfish from Alpha Aquaculture. I think I bought my last pair from him in May of this year. I’m waiting for his recent batch to grow.

dmy535

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dave from the Kenosha area, but make my way up to madtown area a few times per year. Closest reef club to me! Used to work for the Kenosha police department, but left in 2015 to pursue my own business ventures and glad I did!
Used to have a 90 gal reef, loved it but got out when I opened my business because I needed to put 100% into that! Now that it’s been 5 years, we aren’t out of the woods, but I am finally able to set some more “me time” and this is my “get away”. I love everything about the hobby. Found a RSR250 on Facebook market place for only $500, was never used and still wrapped. Guy held onto it for 1.5 years and decided never to set it up! So my wife and I drove 1.5 hours to Indiana to pick it up and happy we did! Tank is in immaculate shape with no blemishes! Tank is fully cycled, just 2 snowflake clowns, and a small clean up crew right now. Taking things slooooow! Excited to be back.

Back