calling frags colonies

BTimms

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just came across an Instagram advertisement post from a scammy corals dot com business that were calling itty bitty single polyp frags colonies.... and the pics were absolutely color enhanced and photoshopped. It suddenly infuriated me and I felt it was a misleading overstated lie of a false claim. Or perhaps I just don’t know what is considered to be a colony nor can’t spot fake over blown colours.

This hobby is full of snake oil, and over priced items and corals. It really seems that some companies will go to great lengths to make false claims of rarity and colour variations or stupid made up names to over charge, and trick the buyer.
Uggggh I needed to vent, as I have been a victim of these scams.

Shame on anyone doing these things, and please do not support the scammers. We need to start calling out the scammers as it gives the hobby a bad rap.

Peace, love, respect.....sorry for the rant.

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's helpful to support vendors that get healthy feedback on here.

music video wtf GIF by rolfes

The blue light can often be misleading.

JCM

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I saw a company doing this on FB today. The post said something like "our such and such strawberry sprinkles colony is looking juicy and is ready to frag". Their "colony" was about 2 inches and barely covering the frag plug :)

Sorry but to me "colony" means basketball sized.

monkeyCmonkeyDo

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love the term. "Mini colony" lol.
So a big frag? Lol.

What happened to false advertisment?
Kakaw! Someone come buy my plumbberry fire dragon acro!
$599 for 1" mini colony.
D

Justanano

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Or XXL colony and it's a 2 inch tile plug covered... people say it's a colony when it's barely over a frag... and couldn't saturate the tank with any more blue if their life depends on it... its a sad day in the hobby

OP
OP
BTimms

BTimms

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I saw a company doing this on FB today. The post said something like "our such and such strawberry sprinkles colony is looking juicy and is ready to frag". Their "colony" was about 2 inches and barely covering the frag plug :)

Sorry but to me "colony" means basketball sized.
I completely agree!

monkeyCmonkeyDo

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Go to the marketplace here. Right now. Just today i saw a zoa garden plug for sale. I click it and the frag plug has 5 zoas on it! Lol!!!!! The plug isnt even full of zoas and its a garden?! Cmon. Lol
D

OP
OP
BTimms

BTimms

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Or XXL colony and it's a 2 inch tile plug covered... people say it's a colony when it's barely over a frag... and couldn't saturate the tank with any more blue if their life depends on it... its a sad day in the hobby
I just wish there was a way to change things with regulations or guidelines . They are using these words and blue lights to drive up costs. In all seriousness it hurts the hobby.

OP
OP
BTimms

BTimms

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just wish there was a way to change things with regulations or guidelines . They are using these words and blue lights to drive up costs. In all seriousness it hurts the hobby.

Staghorn

Original Reef Gangster
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Allot of the frags are basically the tip of a branch. Some times 1/2-3/4”? When I used to sell frags I would never cut anything shorter than 2”. It’s crazy I’ve seen videos of these guys going through and cutting like 10-15 frags of a little “colony”. Crazy times

monkeyCmonkeyDo

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
^ this. Ive seen videos of ppls hands and a small mini colony and bone cutters. They run all around the colony and chop shop the crap out of it. Congrats you just murdered a coral. Lol. For profit.
D

JPergamo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Being that I've really gotten into the photography aspect of the hobby, it is really fun to try and actually make the photos real representations of my acros. I often like to do both daylight shots and crazy blue shots side by side to show everything. That being said, I do find enjoyment in pulling the crazy colors out as well using blues and a filter. It's just another aspect of the hobby for me.

Whenever I have sold the hundreds of frags I have over the years, I like sending photos of colonies, and frags under both type of lighting or whatever else is asked for. I agree with you very much that there is a real deception issue with a lot of what is presented in photos. Transparency and honesty should always be top priorities for anyone thats willing to take someone else's hard earned money for a product. Just my 2 cents. Happy Reefing

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 42 31.1%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 23.0%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 20.7%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 34 25.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back