OP
OP
BTimms

BTimms

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Being that I've really gotten into the photography aspect of the hobby, it is really fun to try and actually make the photos real representations of my acros. I often like to do both daylight shots and crazy blue shots side by side to show everything. That being said, I do find enjoyment in pulling the crazy colors out as well using blues and a filter. It's just another aspect of the hobby for me.

Whenever I have sold the hundreds of frags I have over the years, I like sending photos of colonies, and frags under both type of lighting or whatever else is asked for. I agree with you very much that there is a real deception issue with a lot of what is presented in photos. Transparency and honesty should always be top priorities for anyone thats willing to take someone else's hard earned money for a product. Just my 2 cents. Happy Reefing
These are good points. I absolutely have alight schedule with some fairly high blues and actinics. I enjoy the pop.

I guess the issue is, call a colony a colony, a frag a frag, etc... and describe the lightning the photo was taken under.

I have seen many ads claiming a pic was taken in daylight and yet it appears to have been photoshopped to the point of animation. Lol.

JPergamo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
These are good points. I absolutely have alight schedule with some fairly high blues and actinics. I enjoy the pop.

I guess the issue is, call a colony a colony, a frag a frag, etc... and describe the lightning the photo was taken under.

I have seen many ads claiming a pic was taken in daylight and yet it appears to have been photoshopped to the point of animation. Lol.
100% agree. The frag debate will be everlasting. I've pretty much resigned myself to the fact that a market will regulate itself over time. If someone is selling tiny nubs over saturated photos with fresh cuts, id hope people would gravitate away from said people. Like you said, new reefers might not know better. Until they come across more experienced people to guide them

OP
OP
BTimms

BTimms

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
100% agree. The frag debate will be everlasting. I've pretty much resigned myself to the fact that a market will regulate itself over time. If someone is selling tiny nubs over saturated photos with fresh cuts, id hope people would gravitate away from said people. Like you said, new reefers might not know better. Until they come across more experienced people to guide them
Great points.
When I scen a frag tank looking to make a purchase a main consideration is the size and apparent health of the item. No doubt I’ll pass on crummy nubs.

JPergamo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_6360.jpeg
IMG_6370 (1).jpeg
IMG_6366.jpeg
IMG_6355.jpeg

Here's some examples of how even under the blues I try and not make the corals look fake and ridiculous. You can do a lot of voodoo with the way editing software is now. There are many things to look for in photos that can be giveaways though. Always look at background like coraline algae colors and surrounding coral. Can usually see when things are over saturated to a crazy degree.

OP
OP
BTimms

BTimms

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_6360.jpeg
IMG_6370 (1).jpeg
IMG_6366.jpeg
IMG_6355.jpeg

Here's some examples of how even under the blues I try and not make the corals look fake and ridiculous. You can do a lot of voodoo with the way editing software is now. There are many things to look for in photos that can be giveaways though. Always look at background like coraline algae colors and surrounding coral. Can usually see when things are over saturated to a crazy degree.
Absolutely gorgeous pictures of, dare I call them, colonies!
Some further great points on photography and paying attention to background and coralline. These are the things that help people from being scammed or tricked. Thank you!

JPergamo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_6360.jpeg
IMG_6370 (1).jpeg
IMG_6366.jpeg
IMG_6355.jpeg

Here's some examples of how even under the blues I try and not make the corals look fake and ridiculous. You can do a lot of voodoo with the way editing software is now. There are many things to look for in photos that can be giveaways though. Always look at background like coraline algae colors and surrounding coral. Can usually see when things are over saturated to a crazy degree
Absolutely gorgeous pictures of, dare I call them, colonies!
Some further great points on photography and paying attention to background and coralline. These are the things that help people from being scammed or tricked. Thank you!
These id finally be comfortable calling "mini-colonies" but thank you.

OP
OP
BTimms

BTimms

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_6360.jpeg
IMG_6370 (1).jpeg
IMG_6366.jpeg
IMG_6355.jpeg

Here's some examples of how even under the blues I try and not make the corals look fake and ridiculous. You can do a lot of voodoo with the way editing software is now. There are many things to look for in photos that can be giveaways though. Always look at background like coraline algae colors and surrounding coral. Can usually see when things are over saturated to a crazy degree

These id finally be comfortable calling "mini-colonies" but thank you.
Agreed! This is what come see to mind when I think of mini colonies.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 48 35.0%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 28 20.4%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 11 8.0%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.3%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 36 26.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.9%
Back