OP
OP
Hasted

Hasted

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, I barely understood half that. Haha! I definitely have little experience in all that.

If you think an idiot like me could do it, I would be interested. If you think it is a bit too complicated, all good. Haha.

I am still currently on the Wyze train. I posted in another site and wasn't able to find any alternatives outside of those $$$ timelapse specific cameras.

58e970b2-3f88-4897-87ba-5

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I may be a bit biased, but I'm pretty sure running a reef tank is a lot more complicated. I'll try to make up a good set of instructions for the computer side of things.

Probably the best way to get started is setting up the rtsp firmware using the link to the instructions from my last post.

For the computer side of things I keep bring up the raspberry pi because they are pretty cheap and have a large number of users (lot more tutorials and support available compared to alternatives).
You will probably want the latest version (Raspberry Pi 4 B). Their site will help you find where to buy one. The version with 2GB of ram will be sufficient (I am running on the older 3B model with 1GB of ram).
Watch out for what is included in the package. Some options do not include power supplies, case or a micro SD card. Handy if you happen to already them from something else.

You will need at least an 8GB micro sd card. I am seeing about 3.5GB used on mine without accounting for the time lapse images. The images I am seeing are about 1MB. So an 8GB micro sd card should store 4,000 images. A 16 GB one should store 12,000 images and a 32 GB one could hold 28,000 images.

No pressure to buy one right now. You are probably best waiting till I get the instructions done so you know a bit more about what is involved.

Also if you have a different computer you are interested in using I would be more than happy to let you know if it is compatible (stay away from anything running Android).

58e970b2-3f88-4897-87ba-5

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you are still interested in the Wyze + Raspberry Pi (or really any computer) solution, here it is:
rtsp-grabber

Let me know if you have any questions or want more clarification about something. I know the documentation is a little light, but I probably won't write anymore unless someone actually asks for it.

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 17 28.3%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 50 83.3%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 9 15.0%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 6 10.0%
  • Other

Votes: 3 5.0%
Back