OP
Travis Stewart

Travis Stewart

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it collects on the bottom and stays there, its a problem.

If it seems to disappear as it disperses in the tank, its normal.

Cloudy water throughout the tank is also a problem.
Not cloudy in tank and disperses, but like I’ve seen it sit on top of my marine pure block in my sump and stay there for a while. I just know based on the calculator that I should have moved it at least 1 dkh in last 24 hours and it hasn’t moved a lick

brmc1985

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not cloudy in tank and disperses, but like I’ve seen it sit on top of my marine pure block in my sump and stay there for a while. I just know based on the calculator that I should have moved it at least 1 dkh in last 24 hours and it hasn’t moved a lick
Dose to a higher flow area. Are you just dumping it into the sump and letting it go?

OP
OP
Travis Stewart

Travis Stewart

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dose to a higher flow area. Are you just dumping it into the sump and letting it go?
Lol no my sump is also pretty high flow with skimmer and water agitation posting a picture of how it looks when added in high flow on dt

brmc1985

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lol no my sump is also pretty high flow with skimmer and water agitation posting a picture of how it looks when added in high flow on dt
Pretty high flow doesn’t really mean anything quantitatively. I would suggest dosing it directly above a power head and letting it get mixed in almost instantly. Just for reference I dose AFR directly above a Tunze power head running full out in my return chamber with 2 return pumps. Might be overkill but never had a problem.

OP
OP
Travis Stewart

Travis Stewart

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pretty high flow doesn’t really mean anything quantitatively. I would suggest dosing it directly above a power head and letting it get mixed in almost instantly.
Lol yes that’s what’s been happening

Attachments

• AEF2848E-A079-4B3E-8FD8-1019668C7A4F.jpeg
    AEF2848E-A079-4B3E-8FD8-1019668C7A4F.jpeg
    172.8 KB · Views: 39
  • 6BEEC21B-3095-4871-A2AC-A6DB4FFFB115.jpeg
    6BEEC21B-3095-4871-A2AC-A6DB4FFFB115.jpeg
    221.2 KB · Views: 39
  • F77A4A88-9A25-46B0-BF2F-7A847F151EE5.jpeg
    F77A4A88-9A25-46B0-BF2F-7A847F151EE5.jpeg
    226.2 KB · Views: 39
OP
OP
Travis Stewart

Travis Stewart

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pretty high flow doesn’t really mean anything quantitatively. I would suggest dosing it directly above a power head and letting it get mixed in almost instantly. Just for reference I dose AFR directly above a Tunze power head running full out in my return chamber with 2 return pumps. Might be overkill but never had a probl
Lol yes that’s what’s been happening
I’ve been in the hobby for quite some time and never had any issues. As you can see from the pictures, it almost looks as if it is turning into a solid

OP
OP
Travis Stewart

Travis Stewart

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yea. Try dosing it more slowly. Don’t just dump in 48mls. Slower would be better.
Lol that picture was 3 mL and it wasn’t released any quicker than a dosing pump. I dose throughout the entire day and have been for 4 years on this tank. No issues before now. Appreciate the response.

brmc1985

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve been in the hobby for quite some time and never had any issues. As you can see from the pictures, it almost looks as if it is turning into a solid
Yea I can see that now. That is weird. I had that before in one of my old tanks. Looks like it is snowing. I do remember it started when I had high MG in that tank so maybe that could be the reason as someone mentioned earlier.

brmc1985

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lol that picture was 3 mL and it wasn’t released any quicker than a dosing pump. I dose throughout the entire day and have been for 4 years on this tank. No issues before now. Appreciate the response.
Oh wow. dang man. That is interesting. Sorry. Not trying to be combative or anything just trying to work through it in my head.

OP
OP
Travis Stewart

Travis Stewart

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yea I can see that now. That is weird. I had that before in one of my old tanks. Looks like it is snowing. I do remember it started when I had high MG in that tank so maybe that could be the reason as someone mentioned earlier.
I do have high mag but never have dosed and do bi weekly water changes and it never comes down. Doing 10% changes with Tropic Marin Pro

OP
OP
Travis Stewart

Travis Stewart

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh wow. dang man. That is interesting. Sorry. Not trying to be combative or anything just trying to work through it in my head.
Ya I have a chemistry minor and I can’t figure it out either. :/

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is there a reason to think that it is permanently precipitating as calcium carbonate? Like lack of ability to maintain alk with it even if you increase the dose?

OP
OP
Travis Stewart

Travis Stewart

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is there a reason to think that it is permanently precipitating as calcium carbonate? Like lack of ability to maintain alk with it even if you increase the dose?
This would be a guess of mine for sure. Is the three day of not dosing resolve this?

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This would be a guess of mine for sure. Is the three day of not dosing resolve this?
Not dosing doesn't really change precipitation that is happening instantly in the bulk water column. It is designed to prevent precipitation onto existing calcium carbonate surfaces like rock and sand.

Perhaps the latter is happening coincidentally with the cloud formation, and wont hurt to try, but switching to baking soda may be the easiest thing to do.

OP
OP
Travis Stewart

Travis Stewart

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not dosing doesn't really change precipitation that is happening instantly in the bulk water column. It is designed to prevent precipitation onto existing calcium carbonate surfaces like rock and sand.

Perhaps the latter is happening coincidentally with the cloud formation, and wont hurt to try, but switching to baking soda may be the easiest thing to do.
why does this happen in the first place? Why after 4 years all of a sudden?

Baking soda for only the alk component?

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 45 35.4%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 28 22.0%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.1%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.9%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 24.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.1%
Back