Can’t keep cleaner shrimp

mdbronco

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Feb 15, 2018
Messages
165
Reaction score
78
What state or country do you live in
Other International
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi,

I usually always have a pair of cleaners but cannot keep them alive past 4 months. I run a mixed reef and I don’t think I am subject to any massive swings. I check params weekly and do 10% water changes weekly. One will die almost guaranteed at the 4 month mark, I will replace, and then the other will die about a week later.

Is there a “trick” to these critters? I dose iodine and Red Sea A/B. Alk stays relatively stable between 8-10. Tank has been up for one year. Kole, 2 anthias, 2 clowns, 1 bi color blenny + a ton of snails, 1 urchin, and a fighting conch. Multitude of Sps and LPs.

PH 8
Alk 9
Ammonia 0
Nitrates 2
Nitrite 0.05
Mag 1410
Cal 430
Phos 0.25
 
Hi,

I usually always have a pair of cleaners but cannot keep them alive past 4 months. I run a mixed reef and I don’t think I am subject to any massive swings. I check params weekly and do 10% water changes weekly. One will die almost guaranteed at the 4 month mark, I will replace, and then the other will die about a week later.

Is there a “trick” to these critters? I dose iodine and Red Sea A/B. Alk stays relatively stable between 8-10. Tank has been up for one year. Kole, 2 anthias, 2 clowns, 1 bi color blenny + a ton of snails, 1 urchin, and a fighting conch. Multitude of Sps and LPs.

PH 8
Alk 9
Ammonia 0
Nitrates 2
Nitrite 0.05
Mag 1410
Cal 430
Phos 0.25

Shrimp can be short lived. Never know how old they are when you get them. In the past, if I got a year out them I was happy.
 
I had a Triton test done about two months ago and it was within range (can't remember exactly now) but was actually going to do another one in the next week or so.

Just making sure. Because iodine can be quite toxic above Nsw parameters.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHICH PART OF YOUR SETUP IS HARDEST TO REACH OR REMOVE FOR ROUTINE MAINTENANCE?

  • Glass behind or beside the tank

    Votes: 17 21.5%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 7 8.9%
  • Sump or rear filtration chambers

    Votes: 11 13.9%
  • Skimmer or other filtration equipment

    Votes: 10 12.7%
  • Overflow or plumbing

    Votes: 13 16.5%
  • Lights or lids

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Mine is pretty easy to access!

    Votes: 20 25.3%
  • Other—tell us what I missed

    Votes: 1 1.3%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new