Can’t keep cleaner shrimp

mdbronco

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi,

I usually always have a pair of cleaners but cannot keep them alive past 4 months. I run a mixed reef and I don’t think I am subject to any massive swings. I check params weekly and do 10% water changes weekly. One will die almost guaranteed at the 4 month mark, I will replace, and then the other will die about a week later.

Is there a “trick” to these critters? I dose iodine and Red Sea A/B. Alk stays relatively stable between 8-10. Tank has been up for one year. Kole, 2 anthias, 2 clowns, 1 bi color blenny + a ton of snails, 1 urchin, and a fighting conch. Multitude of Sps and LPs.

PH 8
Alk 9
Ammonia 0
Nitrates 2
Nitrite 0.05
Mag 1410
Cal 430
Phos 0.25

Flippers4pups

Fins up since 1993
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi,

I usually always have a pair of cleaners but cannot keep them alive past 4 months. I run a mixed reef and I don’t think I am subject to any massive swings. I check params weekly and do 10% water changes weekly. One will die almost guaranteed at the 4 month mark, I will replace, and then the other will die about a week later.

Is there a “trick” to these critters? I dose iodine and Red Sea A/B. Alk stays relatively stable between 8-10. Tank has been up for one year. Kole, 2 anthias, 2 clowns, 1 bi color blenny + a ton of snails, 1 urchin, and a fighting conch. Multitude of Sps and LPs.

PH 8
Alk 9
Ammonia 0
Nitrates 2
Nitrite 0.05
Mag 1410
Cal 430
Phos 0.25

Shrimp can be short lived. Never know how old they are when you get them. In the past, if I got a year out them I was happy.

Justfebreezeit

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a Triton test done about two months ago and it was within range (can't remember exactly now) but was actually going to do another one in the next week or so.

Just making sure. Because iodine can be quite toxic above Nsw parameters.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 15 21.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 2 2.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 10 14.3%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 37 52.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 8.6%
Back