Can’t seem to keep any SPS

Djhype97

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys, I have a IM Nuvo 30L (built in sump) running for almost 2 years (in oct). Since February I’ve tried to keep some sps, starting with “beginner” frags like green slimmer, birdsnests, and digi’s. Needless to say, each time I put one in, they seem to do well for about a week, then slowly pale out, or STN and die. My parameters have been pretty steady and I test regularly.

Nitrate 5ppm (Salifert)
Phosphate .031 ppm (Hannah)
Alk 8.5 dkh
Mag 1380 (salifert)
Calcium 400 ppm (api)
No ammonia or nitrite
I keep the temp between 78-79 degrees using Apex
I dose ESV to keep alk and calcium steady and do biweekly water changes with RPM salt

I don’t know if I’m missing something or what, but any help is appreciated

Crustaceon

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys, I have a IM Nuvo 30L (built in sump) running for almost 2 years (in oct). Since February I’ve tried to keep some sps, starting with “beginner” frags like green slimmer, birdsnests, and digi’s. Needless to say, each time I put one in, they seem to do well for about a week, then slowly pale out, or STN and die. My parameters have been pretty steady and I test regularly.

Nitrate 5ppm (Salifert)
Phosphate .031 ppm (Hannah)
Alk 8.5 dkh
Mag 1380 (salifert)
Calcium 400 ppm (api)
No ammonia or nitrite
I keep the temp between 78-79 degrees using Apex
I dose ESV to keep alk and calcium steady and do biweekly water changes with RPM salt

I don’t know if I’m missing something or what, but any help is appreciated
You’re probably doing too much too fast. Your parameters look great, but everytime you do something like a water change or dose 2-part, you can cause a temporary parameter swing which will shock sps. These things need to be done very SLOWLY.

Here are my parameters:
8.1ph
Sg 1.026
Temp 81
Alk 7.4
Cal 400
Mg 1400
Nitrate 10
Phosphate .08
Lighting is 6-bulb t5ho

Dosing is handled by a calcium reactor
Waterchanges are 1g daily through an auto water change system.

Skynyrd Fish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would consider an ATI water test to check for metals. If you have snails they are sensitive to metals and will die. I found out the hard way. Also sps will suffer and pale out. I would also consider going with less frequent water changes. Another good sign is if you have coralline growing, then sps should grow.

Lizbeli

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Parameters are good imo. Flow and lighting are the next two concerns. Paling out is usually a nutrient or lighting issue.

Just to be sure- using 0tds rodi water? Gotta start with basic questions lol.

OP
OP
D

Djhype97

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would consider an ATI water test to check for metals. If you have snails they are sensitive to metals and will die. I found out the hard way. Also sps will suffer and pale out. I would also consider going with less frequent water changes. Another good sign is if you have coralline growing, then sps should grow.

I don’t believe I do have metals. Just based on the snails example, I can say that I haven’t lost any snails, they’ve actually been growing. Do you think it’s still worth looking into that?

jstncoffman

Nothing happens overnight in this hobby
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
in a small tank things happen fast, are you checking your alk when the light are off? Also what salt are you using, is it RODI water, are you testing the water prior to making a water change, when yoy change your water is the temp close to what the display is, are you using a ATO, alot of open questions, i my self run a 30g nano and keep sps well , also what are the lights and light conditions sps are very prone to proper light, meaning, too much can cause issues and too less RTN STN issues

OP
OP
D

Djhype97

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Parameters are good imo. Flow and lighting are the next two concerns. Paling out is usually a nutrient or lighting issue.

Just to be sure- using 0tds rodi water? Gotta start with basic questions lol.

for flow I have 1 jebao sine wave pump and a Aqamai kps wave pump

for lighting (sorry i should have posted that since it’s important for sps) I’m running 2 AI prime16 HD. I’m using a variation of the ab+ schedule at about half the intensity.
I make my own RODI water using a BRS 150gpd system with 0 TDS

Flux Capacitor

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had the exact same thing happen for almost 2 years. Did you start with dry rock? I think that was the cause of all my problems. I dosed prodibio for a while, which I think increased my bacteria maybe that helped? I wrote about it in my build thread. I also brought my ALK down to 7.5 I’m not sure if that’s a factor too, but my current test sps have encrusted, and been alive over a month now.

OP
OP
D

Djhype97

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
in a small tank things happen fast, are you checking your alk when the light are off? Also what salt are you using, is it RODI water, are you testing the water prior to making a water change, when yoy change your water is the temp close to what the display is, are you using a ATO, alot of open questions, i my self run a 30g nano and keep sps well , also what are the lights and light conditions sps are very prone to proper light, meaning, too much can cause issues and too less RTN STN issues

I don’t check alk while lights are off. I try to test at the same time of day each time, usually around 3 in the afternoon. I use RPM salt and have tested it before a water change. I normally don’t have to add anything’s to the mix since it’s pretty on point with the parameters I have listed. Maybe my light intensity is too low?

hotdrop

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you sure you are getting strong healed frags? Sometimes pet store will sell you weak dieing stuff or frags with pests

jstncoffman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ohhh nooo, RPM, I've had a really bad experience with that stuff lost a while 125G TANK with that stuff, I stick to Bi onic for 2 part, had a full SPS reef 3 years old, started using RPM and 3 months later BOOM STN RTN , totally dropped out of the hobby because of that crash

OP
OP
D

Djhype97

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
remember also chasing numbers can be causing alot of issues, do you use a QTank, dip coral, ext?
I don’t have a qt tank but do dip with coral
What do you feed ? And how often?
Feeding flakes normally. On days that I don’t ill feed some mysis (like half a cube) and I feed reef roids about once a week

jstncoffman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t have a qt tank but do dip with coral

Feeding flakes normally. On days that I don’t ill feed some mysis (like half a cube) and I feed reef roids about once a week
I feel something isn't right, I keep my levels as so
Alk 8.6
Cal 500
MG 1350
Nitrate 8
P04 .12
Sal 35
Temp 78
Feron 1ppm

OP
OP
D

Djhype97

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You’re probably doing too much too fast. Your parameters look great, but everytime you do something like a water change or dose 2-part, you can cause a temporary parameter swing which will shock sps. These things need to be done very SLOWLY.

Here are my parameters:
8.1ph
Sg 1.026
Temp 81
Alk 7.4
Cal 400
Mg 1400
Nitrate 10
Phosphate .08
Lighting is 6-bulb t5ho

Dosing is handled by a calcium reactor
Waterchanges are 1g daily through an auto water change system.
Thanks for the info. I should’ve added that I run my salinity at the same as you (1.026). From what I’ve been gathering around the forums is to try and run at a lower Alk between 7-8dkh. I’m thinking I should let the levels naturally come down on their own and hold off on doing a water change until they do.

jstncoffman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the info. I should’ve added that I run my salinity at the same as you (1.026). From what I’ve been gathering around the forums is to try and run at a lower Alk between 7-8dkh. I’m thinking I should let the levels naturally come down on their own and hold off on doing a water change until they do.
No water changes are Mando, maybe adjust your dosing to the balance of the WC, just my opinion

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 40 34.2%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 25 21.4%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.7%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 8 6.8%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 26.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.4%
Back